Thread: Ghost ships at start of race

PSN ID
    kgb1971

Default Ghost ships at start of race

I recently posted this in the random questions thread, but didn't feel the replies answered the problem to my satisfaction, so here goes again.

I remember when I first started playing HD, at the start of the race all the ships became ghosts after the countdown. This I thought was part of the programing, to enable a clean getaway from the line. I have noticed recently though that my ship is now solid straight away, while all the other ships still seem ghost like.

I seem to be making a habit of getting bounced off the track or hitting anything that is there because of this . I feel that I am getting the rough end of the stick with this one. The playing field as it were, is not level anymore.

Anyone else suffering this problem or are you a ghost at the start. I would love to know what is happening here and is there anyway i can get my ghost back.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    Vartazian

I always start non-ghost. you should appear as Ghost to the other players however.

also its probably worht mentioning that you are still fully susceptable to incoming fire in ghost or non ghost mode... same with enemies.

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

i know this probs won't be very helpful as i'm not offereing an explaination as such, just stuff i've experienced...
    i find that some people are almost always solid at the start, like the game gets stuck in a loop of them being solid or something. usually if they leave and come back again its fine. i think it's a bit like when single races positions get stuck
    the ships are supposed to be ghosts at the start to allow for different thrusts/boost starts etc...
    we you getting shunted in any of the races yesterday because your ship was ghosted on my screen??

PSN ID
    kgb1971

I do get shunted at the start sometimes but the bigger problem seems to be that when everyone is close together at the start of the race and in ghost form, if a bomb goes off, I get obliterated by it and everyone else just fly's off, this can only be because they are in ghost form and I am not.

Just played Chaos and he said that I was in ghost form at the start as well, but I am definitely not.

i think at the start of the race your ship probably is ghosted but just not from your perspective.
    what i mean is; i'm pretty certain my ship is ghosted at the start despite the fact that to me it looks solid. i think it's just so it doesnt look weird.
    besides, whther you are ghosted or not doesn't affect what happens when weapons hit you (don't quote me on that one)

PSN ID
    kgb1971

I get your point Yeldar but I know that my ship used to be a ghost at the start of every race and now it isn't.

There are meant to be no collisions when you are ghosted at the start, but if I see another ship that isn't ghosted i can collide with it, if it is a ghost then I'll fly through it. This doesn't make any sense to me, from the people I have asked, the vast majority seem to be ghost at the start.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

I'm the opposite way around. I always used to get smacked off the track at the start. I would frequently hit someone on the start line who left the game or was away from their ps3. But now everyone ghosts and I can generally take the first sharp left of chenghou properly without getting smacked off. Previously I had to just smack the wall on the right like everyone else just to carry enough momentum not to get battered. It is strange how it is different for different folks. Not to mention annoying for you.

PSN ID
    kgb1971

So are you saying that you appear as ghost to yourself Saturn?

actually come to think of it i get exactly the same. i can get hit by solid ppl at the start as well...
    i don't think one's ship is ever ghosted to themself (doesnt make sense but never mind), so if something is solid you hit it
    catch my drift?

PSN ID
    kgb1971

But there are no collisions at the start of a race! so everyone is a gh (sick of spelling it now). I remember clearly that my ship used to be a gh at the start. What's changed?

i don't remember my ship ever looking like a ghost unless it was parked somewhere...
    what i think is that for each person, everyone else is a ghost (or supposed to be) except for themselves. i think that's just so you can drive properly without needing to drive a ghost....
    that's m take on it, i've never been a ghost in a race
    anyone else get anything similar?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

I've looked through a lot of my videos. I always appear solid. Everyone else always appears ghost. Maybe look at other people's videos to see what happens to them?

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    NZLion

Quote Originally Posted by KGB1971 View Post
    but I know that my ship used to be a ghost at the start of every race and now it isn't.
    the behaviour of ghosts vs solids before people cross the start line may well have been changed in a patch.

just remembered something. when you were hosting those non-weapons races everyone was solid at the start (for me anyway) which isn't usually the case. maybe your connections is too fast/slow. maybe WO's just ****ed in general

PSN ID
    kgb1971

It's interesting that you say too fast Yeldar. This all seems to have started when my speed went up from 2meg to 8meg. My ship seemed to go like china after that. I'm sick of discussing it now as everyone will think I'm just a moaning sod who doesn't like losing, but i swear something has changed, I'm still getting eliminated constantly in the first lap. I think personally that I'm better than that.
    Interesting to here about AnErare in the tournament the other day, it sounds a lot like what happens to me.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    Vartazian

Thats happenening to me to Im constantly getiing eliminated, And I THINK Im better then that, when im playing icaras its almost an instant 50 Engergy off the start. Dont know why either.
    Last edited by Lance; 2nd April 2009 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Redundant quotation of previous post eliminated. Use reply button rather than quote. Please read the WZ rules.