Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cant win!

PSN ID
    MAXIMUS-eB-

Default cant win!

hi all..

i know i havent been playing the game long but have always been a fairly good pilot in wipeout.
    but im always am finishing last .it seems even on straights people always overtake and even lap me(once thats happend btw)
    i mean its not as if im wall bouncing the whole track or somink lol.i have a couple of minor scrapes and always barrel roll when i can.
    is there cheats available that people use?if there is thats sad.but im sure there isnt.

mabye i just need more practice...and practice i will.

do people allways use pilot assist?

btw love wipeout hd,looks awsome on 50 inch hi def and own music pumping out

<S>alute

max

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Good pilots never use Pilot Assist. (It slows you down and prevents you from performing many tricks like shortcut jumps)

If you feel you are accelerating to the maximum but people are still passing by you without a turbo, go into your settings and put your acceleration sensitivity to 10%. It is much better, because you have to press less hard on the button for thrust to reach 100%.

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    NZLion

what ship do you use?
    and at what speed class is this happening?

I tend to use ag-systems, but at flash and lower I have to switch to something with a higher top speed (usually I go qirex)

i'd say i beat most people using pilot assist by adleast 10 secounds so theres your answer to that one.
    As for the rest Icarus is the fastest ship so if you can master that and pull off barrel roles including barrel roles when you have a boost to hand then your going to be pretty fast.

What class do you race? because Phantom takes alot of practice lol

PSN ID
    MAXIMUS-eB-

well the ship is mostly Piranha but have switched lately to icarus because thought i might help lol.

didnt know the acceleration sensitivity!thanks for that

and i usually use pilot assist on phantom.always try to keep it off in the lower classes because it forces me to learn the track better.

this is happening on all classes.

thx

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

I think this questions has been asked and answered before and the consensus is that it's just not an easy game and takes practice. Also, people using pilot assist in phantom is something I really hate. When combined with lag it can completely ruin an online game with someone is swerving all over the track. If you're not ready for it yet then steer clear until you are. The chances are that if you're good enough to cope with phantom then you're good enough to cope without PA. It's definitely true that you'll be faster without it.

So just stick with it, turn off PA, practise, watch videos of others, learn the best lines. Then start working your way up the record tables

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    motorsagmannen

Quote Originally Posted by Darkdrium777 View Post
    Good pilots never use Pilot Assist. (It slows you down and prevents you from performing many tricks like shortcut jumps)

If you feel you are accelerating to the maximum but people are still passing by you without a turbo, go into your settings and put your acceleration sensitivity to 10%. It is much better, because you have to press less hard on the button for thrust to reach 100%.
    yes i had this excact problem too for a while. i kept wondering why people i knew where about my level was gaining 5 secs a lap on me. it really seemed like i ran on venom instead of flash like the others were. once i fiddled with the throttle sens down to 10% all was much better and i could use full speed again ( later i remembered that i experimentet with more sensitive throttlecontroll and forgot to set it back from 80% )

Timezone
    GMT + 2
    PSN ID
    Tomeru

Well, maybe you should stop drinking when piloting a high speed craft

PSN ID
    rushinmonkey

Piranha is a fun ship, but it's so heavy you have to get it really right to be competitive. Ship choice is a very personal thing so you should always go with what you like, not what others do. Saying that auricom ftw

but yeah it's all down to practice in the end.

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

mm all very true. get rid of PA, in the end it just hinders your progress, your speed and your lines. you'll be much better off without it, even if it's hard at first.

my first race in HD, PA on: came last
    my second race in HD, PA off: came first
    just keep practicing with whatever ship you like and you'll get there in the end.
    i'd advise staying with the same ship, you can master the others later, even if it means using piranha on sebenco climb, it's good practice
    finally, good luck!

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    NZLion

I can't stand playing with pilot assist on. but bizzarrely I found it very useful in getting my last medal (the phantom tour in the middle of meltdown).
    I find that generally if I try to race with pilot assist turned on, then half way through a race I realise that I've effectively given up and i'm just letting it bounce around

in multiplayer I like the only thing I can blame for losing to be myself. so pilot assist has got to be turned off for that

PSN ID
    stinkleroy

I'm going to agree with everyone else and say turn pilot assist off. It really is a function designed to get you used to the game, but after that I feel it serves no purpose and only holds you back. I also feel it shouldn't be allowed online buit thats just me.

If you're already racing flash without PA then settle on a preferred ship, get used to the handling and how it corners, and practice until you've got the tracks nailed. Also, learn to use sideshift.....that helped me cut a few seconds off my times when I finally got it down

I think you'll see a big difference once you get rid of your training wheels

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

mmm sideshift...best invention ever
    good shout stinkleroy.
    one more thing, BR at ever opportunity (especially against AI), makes things so much easier

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    designer_79

@Yeldar, LOL using Piranha on Sebenco will NEVER get you close to the worlds top times I suppose. This track requires the hardest , closest cornering in the game which is impossible with that ship IMHO ... But guess the world top times is something you gonna tackle later, Max_Piranha.
    But I agree with the above posts about pilot assist, you use that only once in the game, namely to get that strange PA-Trophy. Never used PA, not even in the first race, was strange to have turning it on to get that 'shiny' little thing. I even read it'll lower your top-speed too, anyone can confirm that?

WipEout is infamous since the beginning to have a pretty steep learning curve, not easy to master, so just keep practicing, it makes perfect laps the more rewarding

PSN ID
    stinkleroy

Yes Designer PA lowers your top speed by about 5% to compensate for the help.

I've only used PA once too but back in the day (a mere 12 years ago) I played a LOT of 2097 so HD was like riding a bike for me, you never forget once you learn how to fly

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    designer_79

Hah Stinkleroy we are in the same boat here ... played WO2097 to death back in the days. Then a loooong break of games, finally back to WO again on the PS3, and piloting instantly felt familiar

I just feel sad though i missed out on Wip3out. And it gives me headaches now why the heck I didn't buy this game back then.

PSN ID
    stinkleroy

I actually did buy Wip3out but for some reason just couldn't get into it and ended up not playing it much. I guess 2097 just had the magic touch and it seems HD does too

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

Someone needs to learn me some sideshift. I swear to god I barely use it. But everyone keeps telling me it's the way forward. To me it just seems like the way sideways...straight into the walls.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    TehRedScar

Its all in the execution, I used to be the same way. I find them very handy for cutting those sharp corners (Sclimb and projects come to mind) or clipping a speed pad last second.

Note, to OP, if your against anyone from the WipeoutZone, don't expect to win easily
    Last edited by Lance; 20th March 2009 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Redundant quotation eliminated. Please and follow the guidelines.

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    NZLion

Wink

if you're shifting into the walls, you're doing it wrong.
    try shifting away from the walls, and you'll find that it's much more useful