Thread: PS3 and WipeoutHD are now in my possession

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    KomatosRecords

Talking PS3 and WipeoutHD are now in my possession

Ended up getting it (a used 40GB 2USB PS3 for $350 US) a little earlier than I had planned, due to an unexpected windfall and some very creative financing. Looking forward to playing the game itself, and after I've tried single player mode for awhile, joining y'all online for some races. If desired, members here are welcome to send me a friend invite via PSN. I'd appreciate racing against WipeoutZone members, and I'm sure I'll have a steep learning curve keeping up with the better racers here.

Downloading now (while I'm at work), so hopefully I can try a few races later tonight when I get home. BTW, what is the limit on Custom Soundtracks (# tracks)? Or is there one? On Wipeout Pulse it's a mere 30 tracks, which isn't sufficient enough for my needs. I probably will have closer to 100 or more tracks, with all the songs from all the 6 previous wipeouts (1, XL, 3, Fusion, Pure, Pulse) and a couple other albums' worth of tracks added to my WipeoutHD custom playlist. Will this be a problem? One other quick note: I currently don't have a mic (Bluetooth or wired) yet, so I won't be able to audio chat until I can pick one up over the next few days/weeks (hopefully by the end of March).

Mods: not sure if this warranted a new post but couldn't find a similar thread to add my reply to. Feel free to move if this post was inappropriate.
    Last edited by komatos; 3rd March 2009 at 07:53 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    darkfaerytales

CONGRATULATIONS friend!

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

welcome to a world without sleep

great news!

on the subject of playlists, i think (although i'm not sure), the maximum amount of songs in a playlist is the same as the max for a playlist in xmb (seeing as that's what you choose in-game)
    someone may be able to correct me on that one if i'm wrong...

congrats again!

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I wouldn't worry too much about a mic,it's only really of any use while you are sitting in the lobby waiting for the race to start.

If you go to use it during a race the game can do anything from freeze/glitch momentarily to totally freeze up your console,meaning a hard shut down/restart.

And this is with using the official Sony headset.

I'd guesstimate that you would have 1 person using a mic to every 100 racers online.
    I think the main reason for that is that you find you are too busy racing to press a controller button to activate the mic "in game" ,you rarely if ever hear anybody do it.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

I would be using my mic if it was working...

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    KomatosRecords

Thanks for the warning about using the mic during gameplay. I'll make sure if I do get a mic (when the funding's a little better), I limit my talking to between races.

PSN ID
    MR-RICO84

Hey bud congrats on the new system!
    What controls you going to be using?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    KomatosRecords

Most likely I'll be using the standard default wipeout controls since Wipeout/XL. Since there's no NegCon or similar twisty controller for the PS3 I'll use the D-pad for movement, the L/R shoulder buttons for L/R airbrakes, and I'll probably use the SixAxis feature for pitch only. If that gets to be too difficult, I'll switch pitch to D-pad up/down like on older Wipeouts.

I'll probably try the full SixAxis control feature for full left/right control but I can't see doing very well in races that way. Especially since I have a hard enough time with the Dual Analog sticks' sensitivity. I tend to always push them all the way left/right/up/down/diagonally and smaller movements are hard for my brain to tell my hands/fingers to do. This old body can't seem to get the message hehe.
    Last edited by komatos; 3rd March 2009 at 11:36 PM.

PSN ID
    chboing

welcome aboard man i'll be happy to do some race with you if you want !

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    AG-Wolf

What about the Wipeout 64 music? Or the three exclusive songs by Rob Lord & Mark Bandola from Wipeout 1 on Saturn? Or the FULL XL/2097 CoLD SToRAGE soundtrack from the Saturn/PC version? Or the three Hackers soundtracks? Or the official Wipeout 1, XL/2097, and Pure soundtracks? ... :3 hahaha

Welcome to the fastest route to crazy

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    KomatosRecords

Sounds great to me AG-Wolf, but I only had access to the soundtracks mentioned above since they could be ripped in CD Audio format from the original game discs (then converted to AAC/MP3). Wipeout64's version of Absurb was cool, along with the Propellerhead's track and Cold Storage's music filling the other 5 spots. Unfortunately I no longer have a N64 to record the audio real time from the game.

That's fine anyways, though. 120 tracks from 9 albums gives me 9'20" worth of Random cycling Wipeout themed music. That's a big enough playlist for now.

Regarding the control schemes: I tried the full SixAxis control scheme long enough to get that Trophy (Motion Master), then quickly turned the feature off. It's fun and different, almost like a less accurate version of the NegCon it felt like (somewhat), but finding the sweet-spot in the motion control settings is not easy. I might turn the Pitch Only feature on at a future time, as my body keeps wanting to subconsciously use the feature. It also wants to turn left/right when I'm on tracks with major curves like Sebenco Climb.
    Last edited by komatos; 6th March 2009 at 05:36 PM.