Thread: PLEASE HELP!

Default PLEASE HELP!

I am a big WipeOut fan and recently purchased WipeOut 2097 for my PC. I am aware of the fact that it requires Windows 95 but I also understand that it will also run under Win XP.

My system is as follows:

Celeron 1GHz
    256 MB Ram
    32 MB ATi Rage 128 Pro
    Running Windows XP

My question is, will I need to make any modifications (slow down the speed for example) because of my system spec? Everyone keeps going on about how it runs very fast on powerful Win XP machines but what exactly is meant by that? What is it that is too fast? In what way? Is my system too powerful for it?

I'm not keen on the idea of slowing the system down. It sounds tricky.

Default Speed.

It's an older game. What people mean by it running to fast is the frame rate. Visually the game is going to move about 3x faster than Playstation version, making it extremely difficult to play. The idea is that you have to slow down your system's performance in order for the game to be played at it's appropriate speed. There was much talk of a program that enabled you to do this. Alternatively you could run loads of other programs in the background to slow it down. I'd say your PC will run it way over the normal frame rate. N---e---e---d t---o s---l---o---w i---t d----o----w-------n.

Myke.

Default turbo

download a program called turbo (for pc). you can adjust your cpu speed

Actually, if the game had properly implemented time-stepped gameplay, the game would run at the correct speed even when running a over 300 frames per second.

but it doesn't have that
    nor is the Windows version of it ever likely to be re-written to have an internal software frame-rate control that reads the computer clock. does anyone know if the new version for the mac was given this feature?

welcome to the forums, gbit

Thank you!

ZOOLANDER, is 'turbo' a better program than 'cpukiller' which the tech support told me to download?

Loz

Quote Originally Posted by The Loz
    is 'turbo' a better program than 'cpukiller' which the tech support told me to download?
    Ask yourself.... would you trust a program called 'CPU Killer'? Heh heh ^_^

I think it will be simpler to just rebuild my p233 to run this game on... :roll:

'TurboCPU' which i found on download.com is only a 21 day trial and it appears to do the same thing that CPU Killer does. BTW I didnt trust CPU Killer but I d/led it anyways... just call me dumb.

Loz

Haha well turbocpu doesnt work on windows 98 so it looks like the 233 will get a look out again. Shame as I will have to mostly dismantle this one (Monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers were all 'borrowed' from the old one) to build the POS. : Guess it's something 'fun' to do over the holidays...