Thread: i need info about how to record videos of game playing

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    darkfaerytales

Default i need info about how to record videos of game playing

hello, i need to know how to make videos of games, i wish to do videos of me playing games expecially wipeout hd
    can you tell me what i need please? thank you

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

I will be using Panasonic DMC-TZ5 and record sound through laptop microphone input using Audacity, soon. I just need to find how to edit .MOV videos in high definition. Perhaps if you know how we can combine this knowledge

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    AG-Wolf

Either set up a camera over your shoulder, or get a video capture card on your computer. if you use a video capture card, you're going to have to have dual video output from your console (or a TV that outputs a picture signal)... the dual video is because when you record on your computer, the picture will lag badly. It's best to do this with a CRT television, because most video capture cards only do composite and S-video inputs, and if you put either of those two signals into an HDTV, you'll get lag.

PSN ID
    Thorinx

I found this gadget today: Hauppauge HD PVR (model 1212). Since you can connect through the signals it should perfectly fit for recording off consoles

However - I never tested this and still seek for experiences, especially with playstations.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    KIGO1987

Im wondering how did Insertcoin record the races. I think he used a different technique, best to ask him.

PSN ID
    mdhay_wz

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    radiumx

My PS3 is connected via composite/svideo cable.

The red and white RCA cables for sound go into a 2xRCA -> 1 3.5mm stereo plug, which plugs into my 'line in' for stereo sound. Video (the yellow cable) goes into a tv-tuner.

I have virtualdub's capture avi feature to play with (delay is minimal for video) which joins the 2 inputs together. Audacity is open so I can hear what I'm recording in VirtualDub with the software playthrough feature - however while it's minimally delayed, I live with it (the feature destroys framerate in virtualdub).

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

^Master doesn't know how to edit MOV video files in high definition?

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    radiumx

You need a video editing program that ISN'T windows movie maker such as AfterEffects, Sony Vegas or Premierre. I do not recommend Pinnacle Studio, buggiest POS ever.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Thank you masta

PSN ID
    Thorinx

I'm still considering to buy the Hauppage HD PVR for the EWC - we'll have Asa and Mad and all the others have around who'll do fantastic laps on W'O''HD - that's something which should be captured

But that would be the only usage for it. Buying this for just 2 or less days of usage is nonsense normally Would anybody be interested in that device after the meeting?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

I am really interested in it Amigo and started to find a good price for it ( 180 euros + 9E for shipping atm) my question is do you think it's possible to record while playing without delay?
    They said in their specs : " Audio / Video component video loop through to allow HDrecording and viewing at the same time" do that means you are recording through component cables? no hdmi? and no delay? have you found a good example of its possibilities ( i mean a video test to see the quality by ps3)

PSN ID
    Thorinx

I would get it for 171 Euro (incl. shipping) through amazon

I found a german article http://magazin.dvd.de/rubrik/technik...hd-pvr-im-test which says the input resolution defines the output resolution (or you can chose additionally 720p with 60 fps and 1080p with 30 fps). It's like a giant capture driver, so the computer actually records the stream sent through USB2. And yes: because of the complete loop through there is completely no lag. And yes: sadly no HDMI-support - I guess that's the biggest tradeoff for that rather nice price. It would be an analogue recording through Y/Pb/Pr plugs. Watch the pictures on the bottom of the article for all plugs and the pictures throughout the article to see LBP being recorded ;-)

All in all it sounds pretty solid although the standard software seems to be quite crappy. But there are alternatives around, which were tested also within that article. In fact any faster notebook can record the videos

Think about it I would contribute to the costs and pre-buy it if I stay the one with the cheapest price.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

I am still interested by having it after convention Michael thx for your answers

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    zeeZinator

Oh I would love to get one of those in my hands... But I'd also need a TV with component input and that silly cable for the PS3...

Here's a few raw files someone recorded through the Hauppauge (the download links below the preview)

The problem with HDMI recorders is that the PS3 always sends a HDCP encrypted signal, which is generally not being recorded, and the use of devices that strip HDCP usually takes away from video quality

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

My YouTube channel has videos recorded with about the bare minimum I could accomplish: a newest-gen MacBook (with built in iSight camera), sitting on top of a chair, both of which are tilted so it somehow gets good image quality.

One day I will make the switch to capture cards, problem is they aren't exactly in my budget at the moment. :\

PSN ID
    Thorinx

Quote Originally Posted by zeeZ View Post
    Here's a few raw files someone recorded through the Hauppauge
    Nice find! That quality is totally ok for 1080p. That will give really cool videos if everything works

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    zeeZinator

That's 1080i there, for some reason he couldn't go up to 1080p