Thread: »»» Is there a "best ship" (Elite Campaign)?

Default »»» Is there a "best ship" (Elite Campaign)?

I'm not one of the best Wipeout HD players and I'm having a hard time trying to get Elite Campaign Legend. I'm on the 5th event, but now Rapier and Phantom races are starting to show up and I just can't win anymore.

Wich ship is the recommended to deal with Rapier and Phantom Elite races? I'm trying with Icaras (higher Speed attribute), but even this way I can barely reach a Bronze Medal.

Here's a ship status comparison graph

Any hints on sticking to one ship, or general hints about Rapier and Phantom Elite races?

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

I'd actually like to see a tier list for all the ships, similar to Street Fighter. Sadly I know too little about all 12 of them to really make one myself. -_-

PSN ID
    Xtriko, PS3, PSP & Vita

My hint is luck. I already complete the trophies but, I still have some problems beating the AI on Chenghou and Sebenco. I can tell you 1 thing. Sometimes you do great race times but the AI still beats you. But in otherwise some of my wins were with crappy times. you just have to do what you all had to do... "2nd place..." Race again etc... sometimes the AI beats you at the final straight and you will scream ugly words XD good luck mate

ps. I used AG Systems.

PSN ID
    xxOBHxx

to each their own

PSN ID
    YouAreFubar

Default Well.....

On Phantom Elite I found changing teams every now and again when I got stuck a big help. I personally was swapping between EG-X, AG Systems and Harimau although since then I found Mirage are pretty good at high speed to. I also think slower ships that handle better are a safer bet as I dont think top speed makes that big a difference when going at Phantom speed. Its pointless going fast if you cant get round corners. Id only attempt using a team like Icarus if you can get tight perfect lines consistently.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    LOUDandPROUD

For me, it's Feisar...I feel it's superior handling gives me just the edge I need when racing the elite AI on Phantom in stage 8. Don't get me wrong, it's still extremely tough, but it's definitely the ship I have the most luck with in that scenario.

PSN ID
    silverfoxy

I went for ships with good handling mainly AG systems and on Chenghou front and reverse I found the Harimau useful.

You need a really good first couple of laps IMO to win on elite, once you're at or near the front you seem to be able to get away with the odd mistake but not when you're near the back.

Good luck and keep trying

PSN ID
    FatScarf

I did every race with Icaras as I thought the speed would be the edge needed to keep up with the elite AI, but its true that on some races you just need insane luck and patience. it's a shame they made the AI so damn hard, but it makes it very satisfying when you get it done.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

This is just my opinion of which craft to use for which track against the Elite AI at Rapier and Phantom speeds.
    [Well it's what I used until I got good enough so I could beat the Elite AI on every track with one craft]
    Actually,on the last grid there is a cell with an 8 race tournament at phantom speed that you have to win to get gold,not easy against elite,but AG Systems is your best bet for that challenge when you get to it.

The same craft are also the best for the reverse of each track,good to know for the Arcade Perfect Trophy.

Vintea K.......AG Systems.
    Ubermall It fast and maneuverable enough for the tight sections of these tracks to pass the AI.

Moa Therma
    Analpha Pass ....Icarus,lots of straights,you need the out & out speed.
    Metropia

C/Project
    Sebenco..... Feisar.Turning ability,keep smooth lines and beat the AI.
    Sol 2

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

No best ships, just the one you are most comfortable with.
    I used Goteki for everything. But if you're better with Feisar, well use Feisar (for example).

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    FrenkyV

Get lucky..

Sometimes u just need 2 or more auto pilots in one game to win

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    designer_79

Yup, i defenitely think, luck has to do something with it too ... At least for the Single races and/or Tournaments. I am already hanging at Sebenco in the third (Frenzy) Event in elite mode ... Don't get it ... doing perfect rounds , and the AI still beats me with 5 sec. ... It's close to the 'Beat Zico experience' right now. Is there any trick on Sebenco, nosing down/up, barrel rolls more than the obvious one right after the first turn?

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

1. nose up on the way up, nose down on the way down.
    2. hit every boost pad
    3. depending on the speed there are more BR's at the top of the hill and just before the chicane as you exit the tunnel you can get one if you hit the speed pad.
    4. pray

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

There is luck involved, yes. Sometimes you will get hit with just too many weapons and because of that you'll never manage to win the race.

For me now it's quite hard to tell you what I did to actually start beating the Elite AI, as I have been doing so already for quite some time (And once you get to that point the balance luck/skill starts to even out, even though it still requires a lot of luck).

As a rule, I believe that if you are struggling to beat the AI, there are a few things to consider (Although as I said this doesn't apply anymore as much once you get up to speed with them).

The first obvious thing is to master the tracks at Phantom speed. After it's just a matter of "scaling down" to the other speed classes, if you see what I mean. Being expert at Phantom usually makes you expert at everything else. I say usually because sometimes turns work differently when you lower the speed, but that's something to figure out on a case by case scenario. 99% of the times it's just pressing less hard on the buttons but for approximately the same time, to adapt to the lower speed.

Next thing I remember is at first I was going for all the speed pads whenever I had the choice between weapons and a small boost. Also, knowing the turbo locations is a great tactical advantage. The Elite AI still turbo in the most stupid spots (Chengou slanted turn anyone?), you on the other hand can know where to boost so to maximize speed (Which as I said is very important to beat the AI). This is again something to figure out in Speed Lap, just like mastering the tracks at Phantom (Mastering means doing quasi-perfects at every lap, at least). Another thing for speed are barrel rolls. Learn where to do the barrel rolls, these will help you greatly in gaining positions, as the AI almost never does them. Be aware though that it takes 15% of energy to perform one.

Last thing is every time I got hit by two or three weapons, I restarted the race. It's best to avoid the unnecessary frustration resulting from the cheapness and the bull**** (And oh yes there is BS, you can't believe some shots they pull off) and destroying your controller in the process. Now I don't restart as much because I've become used to the AI and their cheapness, and I sometimes manage to pull off cheap ones against them as well (Missile on a corner, pass on a weapon pad, rocket the same guy I hit with the missile, "Contender eliminated" makes you warm and fuzzy inside ) but still if it's loads of weapons fire I'm facing I usually restart, unless I get a Plasma.

Timezone
    GMT + 2
    PSN ID
    Artieficial

Darkdrium, thanks for the great advice there. It's going to help me too, as I'm trying to beat the campaign on Elite at the moment.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    designer_79

Darkdrium, thanks for the tips. The wicked thing is, although I feel very comfortable with Rapier, and most of you racing online know I happily join the Phantom races, so the speed class is not really the issue. I think you put it exactly right with the AI, it seems cheap, bordering on cheating by the machine ;-) i got already hit by some plasma blasts in the most impossible locations (maybe AI uses them the way we use the rockets) .... so anyway, there is no excuse, just practice and many many restarts.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Yes, they are particularly "good" with Plasma and rockets.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    KIGO1987

I gotta be honest, i dont use this ship alot but its the best to do the Elite trophy.

Its the FEISAR ship.

Why i know cause the first time i passed Chenghou Project, Sebenco Climb and that shiit hole in the sky Sol2 on elite settings was not with Goteki45 or EG-X it was with the FEISAR ship. Its a really really really good ship in the game. Im sure Wellington86 can agree with me completely there too.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Yeah Feisar is EXTRA floaty [BR city] but it has it's down side as you have to "nose down" to get weapons.
    You have to master pitch exactly to pilot Feisar as well as Wellington does.