Thread: Are the single race start locations random?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    PSN ID
    Greenix

Default Are the single race start locations random?

(I've done the best I can to search for any similar threads but can't find any so here goes. But should I have missed one then my apologies).

Over my whole wipeout HD experience I have found myself to almost always be in one of the back starting positions. Not only is this generally annoying because that means I have to try and over take everyone! But also because all the ships with high thrust are almost always at the front of the pack and my Harimau is the slowest to start up (which pillock named this ship the indonesian name for 'Tiger'? Should be Slug).

I was once told the start locations were random but I just dont think this is the case. I've tried hosting, connecting to a very close host, a far host, joining a game before anyonelse does.. Is it done by some sort of handicap? Does the race start you up in a reasonably close rank to that of your fastest multiplayer time compared to everyonelse's in the race? Or is it truely random and I'm just very unlucky? I spent about 18 races with Andybob and a few others tonight and out of those 18 I was in last starting position for 10 of them, 2nd from last for 4 of them and 3-4th for the rest.

Can anyone explain why this is? Does anyonelse get a feeling of deja vu when they see themselves start in the same location again and again?

PSN ID
    Andybob35/ZoNeS

excellent thread, i still thinks its random placements although you were having a tough time at the back of the pack! Only time i saw you at the front was in my last tourney when i plasma'd ya and left you last thus next, u were first haha lol.
    The only time being at the back is when you get hoggers/rammers/lamers or woteva.. meaning you waste laps trying to overtake, by that time you'll never catch a fast player!

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

good question. i always thought it might be something to do with what ship you were in or what order you joined the host in. actually i had lots of theries. i don't know if it's to do with times though because i've started behind many a person who is significantly quicker than me. maybe its a combination of things. if its random you're pretty unlucky to always find yourself at the back, especially if there's a G45 at the front.

I find it annoying when you start at the back every time. even more so when your racing some one that is good and they start at the front and you've got to get around all the cannon fodder in between and then the next race it does the same thing again!

When Studio Liverpool done F1 game they aloud you to choose starting postions from either random or where your ranked for that track. That would better to have the choice!

Also why is when you pick Harimau and the women says the name it always makes me think of sweets?

PSN ID
    mdhay_wz

Quote Originally Posted by Firedshot View Post
    Also why is when you pick Harimau and the women says the name it always makes me think of sweets?
    Kids and grown - ups love it so, the happy world of Harimau.

PSN ID
    pildog

I'm sure its random, I'm not sure how they could do it any other way.

I guess all the players could race a qualifying lap (all at the same time with the other contestants ships showing up as ghosts) to decide the grid position, but I think this would be unnecessarily laborious.

Being in a Goteki at the front of the grid sucks because I feel everyone is staring at me, knowing I`ve got all the good cards and they`re expecting to see a performance!! It puts me under pressure. I prefer to be 2nd/3rd on the grid then let them feel my Goteki Powah!!TM

For the first corner or two anyway, then it`s only gentlemanly to fall off the track and give them a chance.

I`m not sure of the single race grid assignments, but in a session I seem to be always near the front or always near the back for the whole time I`m in the room. I get the same feeling as you Greenix, sometimes, but I do think it`s just luck and I know in my case I notice all my bad luck, but see my good luck as just a natural state of affairs and don`t notice it much when I get it, apart from that slot 1 on the grid, which is too much good luck sometimes!

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

It's entirely random. Although you may very well be unlucky.

In tournaments though, the first one to come in starts last, and the last one to come in starts first (And the people who left before him).

PSN ID
    stinkleroy

I do think this is entirely random to be honest. I find myself starting at the back quite regularly, but combat that usually by taking the tightest line off the starting grid (only really works for me on Vineta K, AP and Moa Therma, maybe Chengou) Most people will head straight for the first weapons pad whereas I bypass it and take the tightest line, usually ending up in first. You risk getting shot, but this works 7/10 times for me.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Ceiu

I'm pretty sure it's random. I've gotten first position several times in a row against the likes of you and Wellington as well as against players who have no reason to be even thinking about phantom yet. Also, it changes from race to race regardless of where you are in the room list.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenix
    But also because all the ships with high thrust are almost always at the front of the pack and my Harimau is the slowest to start up (which pillock named this ship the indonesian name for 'Tiger'? Should be Slug).
    Use one of the boats for a week (Piranha, Qirex, Triakis, etc) and then switch back to Harimau and enjoy your new-found appreciation of the thrust it has.
    Even if I get a perfect start from the first position, I start the race in dead last. Hell, I don't think I've ever once gotten the first weapon pad in an online race. But, it also means I'm usually not taking the first missile/rocket hit as well.

Quote Originally Posted by andybob35 View Post
    The only time being at the back is when you get hoggers/rammers/lamers or woteva.. meaning you waste laps trying to overtake, by that time you'll never catch a fast player!
    Which is one of the main reasons things like pilot assist shouldn't be allowed in rapier or phantom class. All it does is pampers players who (realistically) shouldn't be playing at those classes yet and screws up any player who happens to get stuck behind them. As you said, by the time you DO get around them, any other decent player already has a commanding lead. But this is a discussion for another thread.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Soccermums

Something is definitely wrong.
    I played a 12 race tournament today and the this is the starting positions results, I got:
    1, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8 ...

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Connavar

Lol, congrats!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Soccermums

Well, to be serious, I did 40 observations with two different crafts, which should be enough for a 8 way distribution and the positions were random within the expected standard deviation.
    The RNG seems to be ... erhh... well random

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Ceiu

<3 stats.

I hate to be another to throw a wrench in everyone's experiments, but I do believe it is just random. If it weren't, it would throw off the very delicate balance this game tries to have between the ships.

I think some of you are just unlucky.

PSN ID
    fantaboy00

i have concluded its random

i hate starting at the back, it becomes a big struggle against the likes of Cerium