Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are the single race start locations random?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Connavar

Lol, congrats!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Soccermums

Well, to be serious, I did 40 observations with two different crafts, which should be enough for a 8 way distribution and the positions were random within the expected standard deviation.
    The RNG seems to be ... erhh... well random

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Ceiu

<3 stats.

I hate to be another to throw a wrench in everyone's experiments, but I do believe it is just random. If it weren't, it would throw off the very delicate balance this game tries to have between the ships.

I think some of you are just unlucky.

PSN ID
    fantaboy00

i have concluded its random

i hate starting at the back, it becomes a big struggle against the likes of Cerium

PSN ID
    Constrictor4U

Quote Originally Posted by IH8YOU View Post
    By the way, 4 seconds at Phantom is an E T E R N I T Y! How about a 1.4 or 2 second delay? Sit at the start line for 4 seconds and feel the sweat start to bead up!
    Well, examining the leaderboard after Phantom Pro races it occurs to me that 2s won't be that much help for me. Anyway, more appropriate for me, as I recently discovered during some WOHD video study, will be to switch off BR during Phantom races - or to learn and practice BRn. Just in case anyone feels offended by this - this is just out of frustration regarding the huge gap I have to the top 50/100. I'll keep practicing and maybe, some day I'll be competitive.

PSN ID
    Greenix

Thats certainly something I havent thought of before Wellington...

Seems like this comes down to either bad luck, a crap placement system that gets stuck, or some factor which does play a part in determining the start position. Your theory would explain the results of my previous mini-investigation Welly. If your theory is right then I think I have been swayed to the prospect that I just have very bad starting luck which then sticks with me throughout... But with that said, YELDAR's finding of switching to Harimau and suddenly finding himself at the back for several occasions does nibble away at me...

This may have to be one of those unanswered questions... That will eat away at me every time I'm placed at the back...

Thankyou all for your input.
    Last edited by Greenix; 4th February 2009 at 02:01 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

Quote Originally Posted by Greenix View Post
    bla bla bla...But with that said, SaturnReturn's finding of switching to Harimau and suddenly finding himself at the back for several occasions does nibble away at me...
    Whatchoo talkin' 'bout, Willis?

You mean Yeldar? I did do a brief stint in the Harimau and remember telling you I quite liked it. But I don't remember the other stuff.

PSN ID
    Greenix

Ooopsy, my apologies Saturn. Jumbled you two up you will forgive me won't you?! (the pressure of yesterday's network errors must have gotten to me more then your plasma on metropia)
    I'll correct it in a jiffy, there we go, all done

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

...i'll take the mixup as a compliment.
    i have a sneaking suspicion that wellington may be right on this one.
    i'll check again sunday, hopefully i'll be able to get a harimau starting from first.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

Greenix - seeing as you let me eliminate you tonight, I will let you off just this once. That's how generous I am

I'm just glad that I haven't been having conversations that I don't remember. That would be worrying.

PSN ID
    Greenix

I bow down to ye oh generous one
    But that was some serious stickage going on with our ships.

On a more topic related note, all my ship locations appeared to be random in yesterday's session First time I can remember not being at the back every race.

PSN ID
    mdhay_wz

Quote Originally Posted by Firedshot View Post
    Also why is when you pick Harimau and the women says the name it always makes me think of sweets?
    Kids and grown - ups love it so, the happy world of Harimau.

PSN ID
    anderkovver

Smile

it has nothing to do wich craft you take but i dont anderstand why pilots choose harimau because when you compare it with assagai statistics you will never choose for harimau exept if you like sweets

PSN ID
    Greenix

I think almost everyone has noticed that now. I use and push Harimau to its limits and think that theres a lot more to ships then just the four main menu stat bars. This, however, is going off topic so if you haven't already, have a look at Haydn's thread.

And ever since I made this thread - which was around the time the mystical update came out, I've found myself starting in more random positions which is promising

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

had a quick checkski on sunday, all was in perfectly random order
    actually i don't think i ever started at the back except for tourneys but i'm not complaining
    PS. gotta love the harimau; looks fab, flies better, gets knocked off the track like nobody's business. love it

PSN ID
    Judus

I've been with assegai for a long time (wonder when the spear will land), but I have found myself starting all over the place, so I would conclude its random.
    Interesting harimou stats, when I tried it, it felt pretty good to fly, a little touch of assegai and some seasoning of feisar. Not a bad taste at all

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    guggle

Agreed - must be random. Tournaments are different though... I reckon your position on the grid has to do with the position you finished the previous race on. First race is random, no doubt about that, but the second race starting position is the inverse of the first race finishing position. e.g finish 8th out of 8 racers, and you will start in 1st place in the second race, finish 3rd out of 8 racers and you will start 6th (3rd last) in the next race....
    Last edited by guggle; 12th February 2009 at 12:55 AM.

PSN ID
    stinkleroy

Quote Originally Posted by anderkovver View Post
    it has nothing to do wich craft you take but i dont anderstand why pilots choose harimau because when you compare it with assagai statistics you will never choose for harimau exept if you like sweets

I gotta disagree with you there buddy. I completed the campaign in the Harimau because I liked the feel of it, especially for phantom. Assegai just felt clunky to me, and I couldnt get a handle on it. Whereas I can only equate the feeling of the Harimau as driving a mechanical bee, light and fast with precision point turning. Just a shame theres no sting in the tail