(I've done the best I can to search for any similar threads but can't find any so here goes. But should I have missed one then my apologies).

Over my whole wipeout HD experience I have found myself to almost always be in one of the back starting positions. Not only is this generally annoying because that means I have to try and over take everyone! But also because all the ships with high thrust are almost always at the front of the pack and my Harimau is the slowest to start up (which pillock named this ship the indonesian name for 'Tiger'? Should be Slug).

I was once told the start locations were random but I just dont think this is the case. I've tried hosting, connecting to a very close host, a far host, joining a game before anyonelse does.. Is it done by some sort of handicap? Does the race start you up in a reasonably close rank to that of your fastest multiplayer time compared to everyonelse's in the race? Or is it truely random and I'm just very unlucky? I spent about 18 races with Andybob and a few others tonight and out of those 18 I was in last starting position for 10 of them, 2nd from last for 4 of them and 3-4th for the rest.

Can anyone explain why this is? Does anyonelse get a feeling of deja vu when they see themselves start in the same location again and again?