Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: video of Wipeout XL on Saturn

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    AG-Wolf

Default video of Wipeout XL on Saturn

Someone had been curious to see what it looked like, so I recorded a quick video; no perfect laps, no remarkable skill, just something I did last night when I was tired. I figured it was better than the other crappy videos people have online... none of them are regulars of the franchise so all you get for footage are venom races if you're lucky

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qX8PCfhg9c&fmt=6
    Valparaiso Phantom Single Race Qirex NTSC

MUCH better video quality, same course/class/ship
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ql5rTjbzc-s&fmt=22
    Last edited by AG-wolf; 3rd March 2010 at 06:49 PM. Reason: new video

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

Very nice, thanks!

Always funny to see how the Saturn couldn't quite handle transparencies - rastered exhaust trails ftw!

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    BulletWraith

Cheers AG-Wolf, been wanting to see what it looked like on the Saturn and with my favourite craft/track no less, Awesome!, I do Miss my beloved Red Bull advertisments

Churr Churr
    -Stevie

Timezone
    GMT -6

You know... I recently came across two very rare PSX to Saturn controller adapters. I don't have a copy of Wipeout or XL to try, but I wonder if the neGcon will register. Though I doubt it.

Does the game work with the 3D controller or the fight stick for the Saturn?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    AG-Wolf

PSX to Saturn? ie: Use PSX controller on saturn? Chances are it was made by a company called "tototek," because that's who made the one I have in my posession... if that's the case then I believe only the regular digital PSX controller works, or at least a dual-shock won't do anything when you use the analog sticks, and I don't think the NeGcon works either... I never sat down and tried different things but usually all the different converters out there only know how to translate standard pads, none of the more obscure things.

Wipeout 1 on saturn utilizes the saturn's normal digital pad and the saturn steering wheel

Wipeout XL/2097 on saturn uses the digital pad, steering wheel, and the 3d analog pad (NiGHTS controller)

I don't think the flight stick works for either game, you'd do better to ask Al/JABBERJAW on that one.

I STILL wish I had a Saturn and NiGHTS. And WO1 and WO2, of course. And maybe Panzer Dragoon Saga.

The Saturn was a really cool machine.

Timezone
    GMT -6

AG-wolf, I believe it is a tototek. Actually, I think they are the only company that makes a PSX to Saturn controller adapter.

I was hoping that the tototek might translate the neGcon to the Saturn as a steering wheel. I know that the official 3D pad for the Saturn is recognized as a flight stick/steering wheel.

Lance, Oh yes... the Saturn is a special system. I've been playing a lot of Virtual On on it lately.

Timezone
    GMT -6

*update*

Ok, the system doesn't even recognize the neGcon when plugged into the adapter.

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    BulletWraith

woah
    OT
    but Virtual On is on the Saturn??!?!
    thats great, I used to play it at the arcade heaps and thought I was going to have to buy and Xbox 360 to play it

now to track it down
    Churr
    oh btw whats a good controller to use with virtual On?

-zershen

Timezone
    GMT -6

It is. IMO it's the best version of the game. Sega did a great job cramming the dual stick style controls into the Saturn pad. I would suggest a standard Saturn pad or the Virtua Stick to play the game. Sega did make dual, arcade style sticks for the Saturn but they are rare and usually net a high price on eBay.

If you decide to hunt the game down, definitely get the "netlink" version. It sports the same features as the regular release but if you happen upon a netlink modem package, you'll be part of a select few who can play the game via "direct modem dial."

Terribly sorry for hijacking your thread, AG-wolf. Your video is excellent and thanks for posting it up.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    AG-Wolf

no biggie dude, I'm a huge Saturn fan myself You actually beat me to the punch on the Virtual On comment because I was gonna say get the NetLink version too lol XD I've got VO, Sega Rally, and one other netlink game (wow it really has been so long that I forget) but I was never good at VO to really warrant playing it with the netlink :/

also, always relevant to saturn conversations:

Those controllers look really good. I've never held one of those, but somehow all the pics I've seen of them make it seem that the design would be very comfortable to use, very ergonomically correct, and would make gameplay easy.

Timezone
    GMT -6

I always preferred the model 2 controller (one on the right). It's a little small but the dpad is probably the best ever made. It's so good that if I could never use an arcade joystick again, I would be perfectly happy with a Saturn model 2 controller.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    AG-Wolf

that's the same argument everyone gives, but ironically the western pad (left in picture) has a more responsive D-pad than the japanese model. It defaults to center just a little faster than the japanese model (it's "snappier" I guess would be a good way to describe it), and doing rotating combo moves in fighting games like quarter and half circle sweeps is much smoother.

Another factor for me is comfort, though this is a little more about personal preference. Everyone says the western pad is bulky, but it's only because the japanese pad is so minuscule and they didn't focus on comfort at all. I realize the japanese may have smaller hands, but I never had issues using an SNES controller back in the day, and that's tiny as hell. The way the jap saturn pad is designed, your thumbs are forced to bend sharply, but the western pad lets them rest in a much more natural position. It's not so much that the western pad is a bit larger, it's just ergonomically designed so that your hands don't cramp up in ten minutes... the pad kinda just rests in your palms, but the japanese one requires deliberate effort to hold. The L/R shoulder buttons are better accessible too because you can just slap your index fingers down on them, rather than having to deliberately find the small rounded bumps on the japanese pad... and the contact switches on the jap pad's shoulders are very stiff.

I dunno, people like what they like, so it's not like I'm on some crusade to change that I guess I just wish the western saturn pad didn't get such an unnecessary bad reputation lol

What about the 3D NiGHTS controller?

Timezone
    GMT -6

The NIGHTS controller is massive, bigger than the Dreamcast controller. But it is very comfortable (imo). It fits nicely in your hand and the Dpad and Analog... thing are well within reach. The analog thing/stick/nub/whatever is very sensitive. Almost too sensitive. The L and R shoulder buttons have been changed to fully functional analog triggers. This is probably the first controller to have triggers. It feels very much like a Dreamcast controller with a model 2 Saturn Dpad and 6 face buttons. One would wonder why Sega deviated from the design when the Dreamcast was released. It would have been a perfect controller for Sega's ill fated system.

No idea, but the D's controller was still very good for me.

Part of the redesign was because the rumble packs, videoscreen memory cards [VMUs], et cetera went into two stacked large slots that nearly enveloped some of the cards, but that need not have changed the overall lateral shapes much.

As I said, I'd still like to have a Saturn and NiGHTS, though it would damned expensive to get the game. Maybe more expensive than the console.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    AG-Wolf

Hardly. NiGHTS is very commonplace nowadays, and you can usually find the 3D controller for cheap at places like GoodWill or Salvation army if someone happens to donate a bunch of saturn stuff. Sometimes GameCrazy still has Saturn stuff in stock, otherwise most local independent game or comic places will have something once in a while.

I wonder what changed; a few years ago, NiGHTS had started going for 35 to 40 dollars or more, and there aren't any more original copies now than there were then, so I thought it would be even more now.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    AG-Wolf

I got my hands on a saturn with 1 regular controller, 16 games, one of which was the NiGHTS bundle WITH the 3D Pad in their original box... all for 80 bucks. Granted it all reeked of cigarettes, but I cleaned the console and controllers, and aired out the games' manuals and wiped the cases down and stuff. I kinda sold it to FrostE, though (still needs to pay me *cough* lol). WHen I worked at GameCrazy like 5 years ago, we always had copies of NiGHTS around, and I saw the 3D pads on multiple occasions. I'll keep my eyes peeled around here.. matter of fact, I don't have anything else to do on a Friday evening in this city since I don't know anyone and I'm not going to a club or bar by myself... I'm gonna go check someplace right now and see if they have any saturn stuff kicking around; dunno if they're even open.