Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lag

PSN ID
    kgb1971

So what is causing some poeple to get it more than others, can't remember who has said in the past that they hardly get any Lag issues but there are some players that have no problems.

Is ping a big part of this?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Spece2goin

Quote Originally Posted by KGB1971 View Post
    So what is causing some poeple to get it more than others, can't remember who has said in the past that they hardly get any Lag issues but there are some players that have no problems.

Is ping a big part of this?
    Absolutely

simple exemple : A european player playing on an australian game (host at the other side of the world) will have many lag issue and hi ping compared with another australian.
    You got lag since the information can't go fast enough between you and the host.
    the further it is, the slower your connection is, because of error correcting code and redudancy needed for the information to pass...

but it's not always related to the distance, there are many things to take into account and slow down your connection, raising your ping.

PSN ID
    kgb1971

Ok but explain this please.

If I host a game and an Austrailian or Japanese player joins the room things start going down hill badly, but if an American joins the room it changes nothing. Both could be the same distance away from me, what's the difference.

Also some of the worst lag issues I have had have been when I am hosting myself. Why?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

I don't know what I'm talking about (good way to start a post eh?). I'd like to say that it could be because an Australian player might have a worse ping as they are likely to be further than the exchange or servers or whatever. But that would make no sense for Japanese. I'm similarly as baffled as kgb on this one.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Spece2goin

The same thing can happen with someone in your own country

it's not all about distance but quality of the line.

With large broadband connection there are some optic fibers on the path, but the line from your home to the fiber (since fiber direct to home is not yet implemented) is your phone line with 2 copper wires. This distance from you and the fiber is very critical, since it's a source of attenuation of signals, then of bitrate. Someone living far from a big city (or at least an average one) will have more lag issue due to the quality of his line.

Another point : the connection with the US is far more better than with Asia in general, Japan in your case, so that explains.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

I thought Japan would have really good connections. They seem to be at the forefront of everything technological. I'm sure I've seen something that at least suggests the average speed is very high.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Spece2goin

Quote Originally Posted by SaturnReturn View Post
    I thought Japan would have really good connections. They seem to be at the forefront of everything technological. I'm sure I've seen something that at least suggests the average speed is very high.
    Maybe for them, but we are talking about inercontinental connections, which not the same between EU and US and between EU and Asia...

PSN ID
    kgb1971

So, the fact that I live in the least populated county in England and have only one city in that county (18 miles away), means that I will alway have lag of some description whatever my supposed internet connection speed. Great!!!

EDIT: second least
    Last edited by KGB; 31st May 2009 at 04:10 PM.

PSN ID
    Amorbis

Sorry to burst your bubble KGB, but we're actually in the 7th least populated county. But if you go by population density by km/2 we're the second smallest, after Northumberland. My nearest city is Lancaster, and that's not even in the same county!

So you still have a point, I'm not trying to say we don't have crap internet connections, I know we do. The internet in my house hasn't even been working properly for the past few days, keeps on connecting and disconnecting. The ping is quite large too from time to time, explains why I get a lot of lag.

PSN ID
    mdhay_wz

So that would explain why when we went on LBP it was laggy as hell.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Spece2goin

http://www.speedtest.net

choose a server, and test your ping here.

post your result.
    Paris-Paris

Paris-New York (US East)

Paris-Los Angeles (US West)

Paris-Tokyo

and the host in Tokyo is Fiber King so they have fiber...

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    KIGO1987

You want to see utter bullshit connection
    Attached Images Attached Images

PSN ID
    mdhay_wz

Ow, that's painful.

PSN ID
    kgb1971

Quote Originally Posted by Amorbis View Post
    Sorry to burst your bubble KGB, but we're actually in the 7th least populated county. But if you go by population density by km/2 we're the second smallest, after Northumberland. My nearest city is Lancaster, and that's not even in the same county!
    That's what I meant I think, second largest county, second least populated by square mile

Sorry I haven't a clue about this stuff. I could look up what it means but im sure someone will say if this is good or bad

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

My ping on the London server is 80ms. That's pretty shocking I guess, considering I live in a north London borough. To Maidenhead though it's about 40ms. How does all this work though? Shouldn't we be comparing ping for somewhere near the server we're communicating with? Where would the server for European WO players be?

KGB your download speed is pretty good, much quicker than mine, but your upload is very slow and much slower than I get. Your ping isn`t very good to London, also, I think. That download speed is a lot more than you need for gaming, but you could do with much faster upload I think. Not sure how you would achieve that short of moving house though.

Kigo I think it`s a wonder you can play at all with that speed, particularly across the world.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    KIGO1987

Correct Lunar.

That i THE reason, not excuss why im choosing not to play HD online anymore, i can go through an entire race these days with ****ing zero from the weapon pads.

I quit the game, before i break the controller in rage.

This **** speed is barely ok for Pulse too, at least i do not have to deal with ****ing Vista pads in Pulse with my connection.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    LOUDandPROUD

USA to USA

USA to England

USA to France

USA to Italy

USA to Spain

USA to Australia

USA to Japan

Hmm...now what does it all mean LOL? I understand what download and upload mean, but I don't really get what ping is. All I know is the amount of dead/vista pads I encountered both yesterday and today were so numerous that I cut my sessions short in disgust. Oh, and up until 2 days ago, I had been using a wireless connection, but I'm now using a wired connection and haven't really noticed a difference in performance.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Spece2goin

OMFG! I want Cable too!!!!

ping is defined by the time taken for a packet you send, and the reply you receive from the server, in milisecond, the lower the better!
    and 18 is awesome! around 100 or under 200 is OK to play woHD, that's you have for european servers, but think that are particular servers, not a player's PS3.
    under 100 is needed for shooting games...
    anyway, i never saw a 30MB/s download speed, but that's why i would pay cable, the max i had is 9 with ADSL2+ in France (actually using phone lines)
    cable is too exensive and not installed everywhere.
    waiting to have my house built in the next 10 years, and will try to have fiber direct to home! (yeah, i'm dreaming)

i paid 15€ for the whole year, but have to share my connection with 80 other users (which does not cause any problem regarding to what they do.) but we have 4 common installations. in fact, it's 30€ a month for one of these, with unlimited phone and TV...
    cable is around 100€ a month...
    how much do you pay for that in the USA LOUNDandPROUD?
    Last edited by Spece2goin; 1st June 2009 at 12:22 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I got Sydney to Canberra
    13.88mbps
    .83mbps
    Ping was 24ms

Sydney- London
    1.26mbs
    .22mbps
    Ping 610ms

Sydney - NY-USA
    .90mbs
    .36mbs
    Ping 257ms

Mind you it's peak hour internet traffic here ATM,I'll test again at my usual playing time as it's usually a bit faster.

OH KIGO that sucks bigger than an Electolux vacum cleaner OUCH!
    Last edited by blackwiggle; 1st June 2009 at 01:54 AM.