Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Lag

PSN ID
    chboing

indeed dont worry for static or dynamic IP: wont change anything for you unless you want to run a website or ftp or something on your computer.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    KIGO1987

Quote Originally Posted by blackwiggle View Post
    Your going to love this KIGO.

Here is a website that shows your local exchange [Doubleview] and all ISP's that supply ASDSL2+ from it.
    The ones within a blue banner are the ones you should be looking at.
    There's 13 of them.

http://www.adsl2exchanges.com.au/vie...?Exchange=DBLV

Click on the heat map function at the top of the map to see what speed you can expect from your address & same thing for the RIM function.
    The maps legend is at the bottom.

I wouldn't take much notice of the "Bundled required" on a lot of those plans that are showing as there is usually a OPT out of bundling for a $10 extra fee per month,well there is on my Netspace ADSL2+ 40 plan [which is available to you in WA by the way]
    Also just use those plans as a guide,as if you visit a ISP's website you can often see that plans can change from what's listed there,usually a better deal for you as the download limit is usually increased but the price stays the same [my limits been increased twice, Doubled in fact, without costing me anything more]

The tricky thing to watch out for is the length of the contract,and what it will cost you to get out of it if you need to.

You might be able to get "Naked ADSL2+",that is they use the phone lines already running to your house but the telephone is not actually connected,so no line rental fees.
    That can be a bit of a quagmire, as the lines belong to TELSTRA,and you [and your ISP of choice] can have a very frustrating time getting it sorted.
    Im so happy ADSL2+ is offered in my area, i might be lucky to have no Vista pads by the end of this working week.

Ive just looked at my exchange heat map, wtf does those glowing red, orange and green dots mean on the map, this stupid map doesnt have a legend on it so im not sure what they mean. Just that one of those red dots are extremely close to where i live thats all.

No, my area does not offer naked DLS, lines are owned by those Telstra bastards. So going to still have to pay line rental on the landline which ive managed to use a lot less these days, as since my mobile phone plan has more value per dollar.

Contract wise i might be going for a 12month contract over a 24month contract this time round, just thinking which has the best total data package i would like at a good price, that doesnt charge excess, and just brings the speed back down to 64kbps after you exceed your threshold.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

See when you get the Heat Map up,look directly underneath the map.
    It gives you what the best case speed you will get.

Red dots=15001 +kbps
    Orange = from 10,001- 14999 kbps
    Yellow = 5001 - 10,000kbps
    Green 1501 - 5000kbps
    Purple less than 1500kbps

If your close to a red dot your laughing,means you can get top speed,if you are green or Purple move house because your stuffed internet wise.
    It usually takes two weeks to get ADSL2+ connected by the way,and you will need a new modem/router,you can ask to have one sent - I recommend a 4 port one,probably a NetComm NB6Plus4 or a NetGear equivalent.

After looking at all plans available to you,your best option IMHO is to get the exactly the same ISP [Netspace] and Plan ADSL2+40 unbundled = $59.95pm ,40Gig a month should be plenty,if you got over your limit you stay connected but at Dial up speed,they also supply a Netspace accelerator program for their customers so that in the rare case the ADSL does go down you start that program up and use dial up but it is nearly as fast and you don't get charged for any downloads.
    Last edited by blackwiggle; 2nd June 2009 at 12:36 PM.