Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you play HD?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

Being perfectly aligned to the screen -yes, I totally understand. Can't play at even the slightest angle either.
    But that middle-of-sofa thing? Bit neurotic, are we?

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    trentdf

well he's not alone, i have to play with my feet crossed on the coffee table and with a boomerang cushion on my back. Once the screen was slightly turned, cause my dad was messing about back there, and i didn't notice until i started playing and thought that something didn't 'feel' right.

- default controls, wip3out HUD- and can't go back.

might try setting airbrakes to a certain sensitivty though, any recommendations?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

LOW. you don't want to have to press real hard for maximum effect, do you?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Klax75

Mine is default, with sensitivity tweaks. For some reason I don't like the 97/XL HUD's or the WO3 one. Something about them bug me. lol

I use the sticks which is a double edge sword for me. :/ One I have really small hands and the sticks are quite a stretch for my thumbs. I don't like the tapping when trying to bank with the D-Pad, it drives me crazy. I like to be able to hold a bank at a given angle. Although I find it a lot tougher in WOHD then I do when driving a Bike in Burn Out Paradise. Hmm..

Two, I've never liked the D-Pad on the PS, even back on the PS1. Since having super small hands the D-Pad is the pain in the ass to push. I don't have the thumb surface area for it. So hitting diagonals is incredibly hard. I miss the old circle type D-Pad. Much easier for me to use, instead of the four point buttons.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I sit just slightly off center because I don't have a sofa,I've got two leather recliner/rockers and a coffee table in between.
    I used to use the 2097 HUD but now the HD HUD, as I find the proximity gauges the best [I race in cockpit view]
    I disable L2R2 by remapping controls elsewhere [I was always hitting them accidentally with my legs]
    Air brakes are L1R1,I use the D-Pad as the sticks are just unmanageable for me positioned where they are [plus I find them too high]
    All other controls default.
    As for the controller,well I'm [like a heap of others] still having trouble with the whole BR situation.
    Unless I can find/make something I can slip over the D-Pad to sort this, I might resort to a major transplant/mod of the guts of a Sixaxis into a Xbox controller,as shown in the link below.

http://benheck.com/04-14-2007/ps360-controller

That's where a left stick should be SONY,so you thumb is in a North/South position not diagonally across.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kabuto_N3D

Another old school racer here
    I use D-pad and default setting

PD: I also want a USB SEGA Saturn controller!!!

PSN ID
    Amorbis

USB Saturn controllers are easy to buy off eBay, I purchased mine for about £15 (around $20USD or €16) with postage from Hong Kong. Most of them ship worldwide.

On the topic of HUDs I'm in with the Wip3out crowd. I like the minimalism and everything is set out in an easy to understand way. I do like the 2097 HUD but I've never got used to the LED weapon pictures.

Timezone
    GMT -5

They're not LED based - but were fluorescent / tube based. Just wiki "Nixie Tube" or "Fluorescent Segment Display" and you'll see the connection.

I LOVE Nixie Tubes and FSDs.
    Last edited by IH8YOU; 28th May 2010 at 10:22 PM.

PSN ID
    bik3rluke

L1 and R1 for the air brakes. A few sensitivity tweaks, and I use the analogue stick! I find it so much easier for barrel rolls!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

Thought I'd bring this thread back just to say...
    ...WOW! Started using the d-pad tonight and I feel it gives so much more control over steering. I knew the analogue stick wasn't very precise but I had no idea. The only problem is I struggle to pitch at all with the d-pad and barrel rolls are definitely something I have to learn to do all over again. Not only that, but going back to the stick it feels as if it doesn't even have as much travel as the buttons. So overall I think the d-pad is the way forward. Only wish I'd persevered with it sooner.

Timezone
    GMT + 2
    PSN ID
    Zoth-Ommog

I'm also trying to get back using d-pad, i began to use stick on wo fusion. Feeling of the ship is somewhat solid with the d-pad, as where the stick tends to wander around. Also you can handle BR's much easier in tight spots with d-pad, i'm struggling also with pitch atm, but i believe i'm getting hang of it quite soon. What i like('d) about stick is how smooth ride you can get with it, but when you are racing against some serious contenders, you can throw smoothness out of window. Week or two intensive d-pad practice should do the trick, and i can start racing online with it

PSN ID
    fantaboy00

been using the d-pad since PS1 days. motion sensor is soo hard i end up with an ache in my arms

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Your damm fast anyway ZOTH.
    You must of been using the sticks when I first raced you,I'm in deep doodoo if you find the D-Pad a better option,sort of explains the faster times in multiplayer you have been getting.

Pity we can't swap the D-Pad to analog control.
    That would be the best of both worlds,though I imagine that it would even make Triakis and Auricom twitchy craft.
    That is unless there was some for of adjustment regarding sensitivity of that particular control mechanism .
    Last edited by blackwiggle; 3rd February 2009 at 01:57 AM. Reason: because I'm pedantic about spellin mistakes.

Timezone
    GMT + 2
    PSN ID
    Zoth-Ommog

I began my d-pad revival sessions last night, so this far i've been racing WOHD with stick. We'll see how i will end up after week or two, will i go back to d-pad or not.

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

i love the d-pad, i find it so much easier. can't use it though, hurts like a *******.
    i also have to play with a plaster around the middle of my right thumb.
    i think i need to toughen up...

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

Quote Originally Posted by Zoth-Ommog View Post
    words etc
    Couldn't agree more with you Zoth. When a race goes well with the stick it goes very well. The smoothness is awesome. The d-pad naturally feels too twitchy to me. But the precision is better. I tried it tonight though in ASTRAL and I sucked big time. I've actually started switching mid race now. For chicanes I'm using the d-pad because the stick feels sluggish. For long corners, barrel rolls and anywhere pitching is required I'm using the stick. Seems to work better if I mix it up like this.

Yeldar - that's one of the main reasons I didn't try the d-pad earlier. I imagined getting a very sore thumb. It's not actually too bad but I am already started to get a callus on my thumb. If it gets thick then I won't have much sense in my thumb anyway which will completely defeat the prupose of using the d-pad. I'm gonna get an adapter for my ps2 controller as the stick on that feels much tighter. Worth a try.

PSN ID
    GreenPhazon

Square - accelerate
    X - use weapon
    Triangle - absorb
    Circle - look behind (thanks to the big red thing on the HUD I never need to touch this mid-race)
    L2/R2 - airbrake and sideshift
    No motion control

Thus far, I've only used analogue stick for everything, but on Pulse I used to jump to the d-pad for barrell rolls. Since my barrel rolling has become a bit inconsitent on HD of late, I may resort to this method again.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    guggle

I use default buttons except for air brakes: L1 & R1, the analogue sticks and no motion control. Tried the D-Pad, and although it has it's good spots in some tracks, I found switching between the two a bit confusing. Switching might be something for the future though.

I sit in the middle of the room on a kitchen chair. This position is about 2.5 metres from the tv screen and right in the middle of the 5.1 surround sound speakers - AWESOME !!!! Fully immersed in the game!!

Timezone
    GMT + 2
    PSN ID
    Zoth-Ommog

Okay, i have played with d-pad for a week now, and one thing is pretty sure: there is no going back to analog stick. I have few issues with pitch in chengou project fwd (at that bouncy left hander) and sebenco climb fwd (at every second corner ), but i'll figure them out at some point. Biggest improvement has been how i manage quick turns with d-pad ie. last quarter of sol2, blind at metropia rev and hairpin at Chengou rev and fwd. Well, i think i'm going back to practice again.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    TarotCardKiller, CrossHareManiac

Smile

I'm going to write this before I leave for class. haha

R1,L1 airbrakes
    L2 rearview
    R2 weapon
    square absorb
    triangle (n/a)
    circle (n/a)
    x GO =D

motion, airbrake, accel at 100%.

In response to the angle of the television; I sit perpendicular to the tv on the left side. My cats take up the rest of the couches.