Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you play HD?

PSN ID
    selthedon

Default How do you play HD?

Hello all,
    Just a quick question (I searched but couldn't find anything), is what setup on the pad do you use?

E.g. d-pad only or pitch and steering using the sixaxis controller?

Also, I've noticed that when you push up and down on the d-pad, the ship lifts it's front end or drops it, does this help with the control of the ship around the track? (I play zone a lot).

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

personally i use the analog stick for all things steering and pitch but that's mainly because d-pad gives me monstrous blisters. i find the d-pad a lot more consistent when pulling of BRs (or sometimes failing miserably), which is a bit annoying. pitching around the tracks helps a lot i find. i'll wager a lot of faster people around here will back me up on that. I also changed airbrakes to L1 and R1 which i find much easier and i get cramp less often.
    there's my two cents.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Standard layout (slightly modified):
    [] Fire
    O Absorb
    X Thrust
    /\ Change camera
    L1 Left Airbrake
    R1 Right Airbrake
    L2 Voice chat
    R2 Look back
    D-Pad
    Motion: Pitch only

Sensitivity:
    Thrust: 10%
    Airbrake: 10%
    Motion: 100% (Not sure anymore)

Yes, pitch helps going up hills and down slopes. You should try it! Although in Zone it doesn't really matter, as the ship is kinda glued to the track (For gameplay reasons) and behaves the same way no matter what the pitch in this case.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

Same settings as Darkdrium for me, except for the airbrakes : 30% sensitivity

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

just as an additional question, is it worth changing brake/accel sensitivities now that i'm used to default. i was never sure what affect it had so i just left it. cheers fasties

PSN ID
    Amorbis

I use a USB SEGA Saturn controller, it has the best d-pad ever! The shoulder buttons are nice and clicky too. I got the black version of this.

The button setup is as follows:
    A - Absorb
    B - Accelerate
    C - Use pick up
    X - Voice
    Y - Look back
    Z - Change view
    << and >> - Airbrakes

As far as I'm aware I haven't touched the default air brakes settings. I'm not going to change them as I've got used to them now. The other settings are the default as well, I don't see any need to change them. I can't use SIXAXIS tilting because the controller doesn't support it; I'm fine with that though because I never used it anyway .

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

Are you f*king serious?! That's what you beat me with?! OH. MY. GOD.
    Just out of interest: what exactly is the benefit of that controller over a DS3?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Connavar

Are shoulder buttons analog on that Saturn controller?
    Or it doesn't matter?

I remapped the airbrakes to L1 and R1 and set the airbrake sensitivity to 60%, enough for slight adjustments and enough to compensate if you need some serious turning to happen

I dunno why they put the airbrakes on L2 and R2, they aren't optional, occasional buttons you press...and since they're analogue, the travel is way too much.

Amorbis, nice choice there!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    okam--

Quote Originally Posted by Amorbis View Post
    I use a USB SEGA Saturn controller
    I have been looking for a good controller where the d-pad isnt just 4 separate tall-ish buttons with a huge chunk of space inbetween them. The Sega controller looks great, you could just rest your thumb in the middle there...

Personally I use stick for steering and motion for pitch. Stick feels a little wobbly at high speeds (maybe because I'm a nub still, only had this game for 3 weeks); I tried the d-pad and it felt steadier, and easier to correct the ship after being misaligned for whatever reason, but the d-pad just feels horrible under my fingers.

PSN ID
    Amorbis

Quote Originally Posted by eLhabib View Post
    Are you f*king serious?! That's what you beat me with?! OH. MY. GOD.
    Just out of interest: what exactly is the benefit of that controller over a DS3?
    Quote Originally Posted by Connavar
    Are shoulder buttons analog on that Saturn controller?
    Or it doesn't matter?
    The Saturn controller has a incredible D-pad and I much prefer a D-pad over an analogue stick any day. The buttons are in two rows of three, I prefer these positions over the face button positions on the DS3. They're much easier to press and the buttons are bigger too. The shoulder buttons are pressure sensitive but I admit the L2 and R2 buttons trigger shape do have a slight edge over the Saturn ones.

The Saturn was the first thing I played WipEout on, so I guess that has an influence too .

PSN ID
    YouAreFubar

I use the Analog sticks and default controls on a standard controller (which is in need of replacement). It works fine for me and I do OK.....

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Ceiu

Been using the standard controls and d-pad since XL -- and I'm far too stubborn to change that anytime soon.

Timezone
    GMT -5

Well - it be worth mentioning that I played best with the Original PSX controller - you farts here will remember - the one WITHOUT analogue sticks. I have a Sony - USB adapter I plugged into my PS3. It works wonders - except for the fact you can't navigate menus or anything - only works for gameplay. Such a PITA to configure race to race. But, it does work superior compared to the wireless controller.

For the other 99.999% of my game time, I use the DS3, D-Pad, L1 + R1 Airbrakes @ 70%, O Fire and [] absorb.

PSN ID
    Andybob35/ZoNeS

Im old skool player from the Original/2097 days, since i never played the ps2 or psp versions of the game, using the d-pad felt perfect! a few minor adjustments with the HD settings (2097 hud and 90% airbrake sen) im just as fast now...

Hands down to Amorbis for an ingenius idea! now all i need is a d-pad form the 16bit era and ill be good to go! Cannot stand the noice and clicking from the analog sticks, how can u steer and barrel roll with analog? weird!

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    TheFrostE

100% percent DPAD. in any and all wipeouts. i use completely deafault settings on HD. check out my youtube.com/travisfrosty page to see the dpad truly mastered in XL with pirhana . NO NEGCONS FOR ME AL AND ARNAUD! although i will pick one up if it comes to ps3

Timezone
    GMT -5

Whoa whoa whoa whoa..... whoa!

There is another HUD in HD that ISN'T 2097?

Honestly - no BS here - I've been using the 2097 hud since the instant I acquired it. I completely forgot about the original HD HUD. It looks so.... foreign!

I only recently realized this because a friend of mine had seen a video of HD - and asked why mine looked different.

The only other HUD I'd use would be the original Wipeout - but without my good ole robo-pal announcing LOIDS - it just wouldn't be the same.

PSN ID
    selthedon

Yeah there's another HUD, it's the wip3out version.
    On another note, I've dropped my airbrake sensitivity down to 50% and got an extra 10000 points on zone! Woo hoo! I'm going to start playing with the settings to see if I can bump my score up.

Timezone
    GMT + 2
    PSN ID
    Zoth-Ommog

This is not about settings, or maybe it is in a way, but i think it's near enough of the topic.

SO, i think i'm a bit neurotic to the way i sit when i'm playing, i have only two possible position that will do (would be only one if my legs wouldn't hurt after 20-30 minutes), otherwise i feel like i'm sitting somehow "wrong" and i feel uneasy, which means i'm all over the place. It's not only how i put my legs, it's also my hands, if i move them like 5cm from the "right" place it stars buggin' me instantly.

And if i'm not exactly in the middle of my sofa it's almost impossible to play, sometimes when my wife is reading a book on the sofa, she usually sit's at the either end of the sofa half sitting, and half laying down (try to understand what i mean ) so, i need to ask her to move her legs so i can sit on the middle. Ofcourse she says: why can't you sit at the other end? Ehm.. ya know, i just can't.. At that point i usually feel little bit stupid. OK, i know that the biggest issue on that one is, that wipeout is hard to play if you don't look straight to the tv, or at least i think so If i sat at the end of the sofa and turned my tv pointing straight towards me, it would not be a problem, BUT guess if i can find my sitting position there? no.. it can only be done in the middle

PSN ID
    subtotal

i use six axsis for pitch and steering ,see my thread for all the details

zoth i know where your coming from about being perfectly aligned to the tv
    Last edited by subtotal; 21st January 2009 at 04:54 PM.