Thread: The physics...

PSN ID
    miufs

Default The physics...

Hi folks!

I just played WO HD and although its awesome I couldn´t avoid some disapointment due to the physics.

I dont know how to explain but on the PS1 Wipeouts the aircraft felt like it was really on the air, gliding trough the track!

In these new WOs the ship seems "stuck" to the track and that does not feel as awesome as it did on PS1.

My question is: was that made on purpose or is the team failed to capture that sentation?

I also miss the wall scrapping!!!

I hope i made myself clear mates!

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    AG-Wolf

You're not alone, but alas our cries fall upon deaf ears because it's not like they can release a patch and suddenly change the entire game engine

I infinitely prefer XL, 64, and 3's handling (and wall scraping) over Pure, Pulse, and HD's horrid twitchy, stilted, disconnected sense of piloting... and slowing to an absolute CRAWL when you so much as graze the side of the track (not to mention it RAPING your shield energy) is really frustrating.

"It just takes practice" people keep telling me...

I guess you have to UN-learn everything you knew about wipeout... other people can play the game just fine, so it must be people like us doing something wrong

Timezone
    GMT -5

I do miss the forgiving walls from XL / 2097, but the "flying" aspect is almost 100% there - just depends on the track, speed class, and ship. AG Systems on Chengou or Sebenco in Phantom - you can fly pretty well, especially when you do NOT want to.

Physics wise what tossed me a big lop-sided one, was Zone. After being used to Zone from Fusion - the HD ship corners like it's got lead weights up front. Like the center of pivot is waay aft, in some invisible portion of the ship. Whereas Fusion - it cornered FAR better than the standard AG craft - but it still had a neutral center of mass.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Ceiu

Did I play the same XL as everyone else? I seem to recall the walls feeling more like jagged barriers -- if I so much as brushed them, I would come to a dead stop and even bounce back slightly. While I don't exactly like the magnet-feel the walls have in HD, I certainly prefer the consistent nature of them.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

I think you may be referring to the original wipEout?

Timezone
    GMT + 2
    PSN ID
    Tomeru

Quote Originally Posted by Cerium View Post
    Did I play the same XL as everyone else? I seem to recall the walls feeling more like jagged barriers -- if I so much as brushed them, I would come to a dead stop and even bounce back slightly. While I don't exactly like the magnet-feel the walls have in HD, I certainly prefer the consistent nature of them.
    Yeah, why IS that exactly that walls you brush act like magnets? Although it does seem rather realistic for some of the crafts (those with triangular shape). Someone need to check what happens when squarish crafts brush walls...

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Laeke

My question would be a tad different, but I wonder if some of the ship bounces were intended in the physics or not... Like when you hit a "special part" of a wall and for some reason the craft jumps straight up in the air and fall down like a brick. This seems to happen a lot around the tunnel entrance of Chenghou (because of that very bumpy, unpredictable curve), but it sometimes happens elsewhere (saw it on Metropia, the second, very mild curve to the right, which has this weird "parking lot"/blank space on the left).

EDIT: Though I must say it is funny to discover new ways to get off the track due to the bumps in Phantom speeds (Chenghou is again a must there "Oh I didn't know I could die here... well, better start this TT again...")
    Last edited by Laeke; 5th January 2009 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Added last paragraph

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    AG-Wolf

aside from the wall-stopping in HD/Pulse and the shilds which diminish too quickly, am I the only person who noticed you practically don't have to counter-steer at all in the games to straighten yourself out? In XL and 3, I remember wrestling with the ship constantly every time I came out of a corner to keep a straight line, and in Pulse and HD, it feels like every time I try to intuitively straighten out, I just turn into the wall and ricochet back and forth on the track...

PSN ID
    Axellink

AG-Wolf I thought it was only me mate!! This was the initial problem I still have with the game lol. It's a very hard habit to break away from as well .

My real complaint is the unforgiving wall scrapings. I actually think in real life that it wont stop you that easily . Back on topic, yes the physics are totally different which TBh is better than PURE and PULSE.

My only real complaint is the fact that crafts like AG-SYS and Feisar can wedge underneath my Auricom and push me over the edge. Frakking annoying that lol.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    radiumx

All the pushing underneath stuff appears to be lag related. I compared Leungbok's video to mine on Metropia Reverse. On his screen, I got under him and pushed him above and off the track. On my screen however, I did no such thing.