Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: WipEout HD a success or not?

PSN ID
    pildog

I have no idea about sales figures, but my take is that Wipeout HD was undertaken more an experiment rather than as an attempt to make a full-blown game... an experiment that has worked better than anyone could have guessed.

As it stands WO HD does not warrant a full blown release, its far too basic for that, but with several DLC (original content) releases and fixes, it may be.

Sony need all the good games that it can get its hands on, and should support the Wipeout HD fanbase as much as possible.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    LOUDandPROUD

Quote Originally Posted by IH8YOU View Post
    I don't date AG Pilots.

No worries!
    LMBO! That's right! I was using AG that day, huh?! You remember! Too funny. I actually don't have an allegiance to any particular team though (I admit I may have developed a bit of an attachment to Auricom, however)...I can appreciate the strengths, weaknesses and challenges of them all. Lately I've been switching between them to unlock every skin...that day I played you just happened to be AG day. I've still got Qirex and Goteki to go, then maybe I'll finally settle down with a favorite or two...or three...or four. I have to say though, that an expert Icaras pilot is unbeatable for the most part...probably the best team, as I'm sure many would agree...and I do use them quite a bit myself, though I feel a bit dirty afterwards...lol. However, when faced with a bunch of Icaras pilots in a race, I take much pleasure in beating them with a different team lol.

Anyway, see you soon on the track!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

Icaras is a very fast ship and some of the world's best pilots are using it with success...

...but...the fastest pilot i know on hd, is actually racing a feisar, so the icaras supremacy...

To choose the most efficient ship you have to consider the track too

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ProblemSolver

Why wasn't there a demo of WipEout HD in the first place? I think, due to the
    delay, they (SL) weren't right on schedule any longer and hence releasing the
    game as fast as possible was of utmost importance. Do you remember bugs like
    the 'PRESS SE...' in photo mode, the debug info, or the friend list problem?

I've done a lot of advertising for WipEout HD. I even got some PC gamers
    to buy themself a PS3 for WOHD -- after they have seen me on ZONE. They
    were absolutely delighted on how that game was running in all its glory.

Ah ... welcome to teH zone, Mr. LOUDandPROUD!
    Last edited by ProblemSolver; 10th January 2009 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Ah ...

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    LOUDandPROUD

Quote Originally Posted by leungbok View Post
    To choose the most efficient ship you have to consider the track too
    Yes, I've discovered that to be very true, hence my lack of a true love affair with any particular ship...

Quote Originally Posted by ProblemSolver View Post
    Ah ... welcome to teH zone, Mr. LOUDandPROUD!
    Thank you very much, Sir! Happy to be here!
    Last edited by Task; 7th January 2009 at 01:26 AM. Reason: Merged consecutive posts

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    TheFrostE

yeah, icaras is good, but the ship is only as good as the pilot, the right ship for the right track doesnt really mean anything either. in a battle with weapons and other racers, its anyones game. You could be eliminated, not get a lot of turbos...anything, its luck of the draw when it comes down to that. ive raced blazing times with triakis on sebenco reversed. its possible, you just need to practice.

my wipeout loyalty through the years stays with feisar though. because everybody knows that the future is Euro.

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by TheFrostE View Post
    You could be eliminated, not get a lot of turbos...
    you mean that's not meant to happen every race?

i had to turn off sfx due to the woman repeating: "bomb", "quake", "missile", "rockets", "quake", "unlucky" every time i race. stupid woman.
    Last edited by yeldar2097; 6th January 2009 at 12:49 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    darkfaerytales

the game is out by only three mounths, maybe it is yet too early for judge it a success or not, anyway it's a good thread to argue an interesting thing who touch everybody us, anyway back on topic i think maybe as a phisical copy it would have sell far better , i've just noticed that some ps3 owner even don't know nothing yet about its existence, my cousin for exemple and my cousin isn't the type of occasional player who had bought a ps3 just for fight boredom and cannot acces the net, he is exatly oppose! when i've just let see him the game his reaction has been

ok maybe the psn exclusivity is the ONE big factor that made wipeout hd such particular game, the fact that even without a phisical blu ray copy and among such " little " games are on psn it KICK MAJOR ASS to the most of the games around

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

definately agree there, physical copy would sell like hot cakes. my brother's had a ps3 for about a year and he introduced me to wipeout in the first place. he saw i was playing HD and was like 'WTF!?? where'd you get that?'. put it in shops (or promise us a nice, shiny, new wipeout for next year)!

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I don't think WOHD will ever come out on disc,if you watch that "Making of WOHD"it mentioned that it was only ever going to be download able, SL guys repeat that fact several times.

One thing I think nobody would want is to go back to the loading times if it were on disc.
    I know I wouldn't,imagine loading times for an online tournament,no thanks.

There seems to be quite a few new players online since Xmas,of the few I've messaged,it seems most only know WO from XL/2097 or WO3,and are in their 30's,a lot of these new players are women.

So HD seems to have a broad appeal over all ages and both sexes.
    Not many games can say that.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    darkfaerytales

naahh yelard the woman computer voice is dead sexy! c'mon!!!

anyway back on topic i think pure was a major success for some key factors
    first was been, as another friend has already pointed one of very first games in newly fresh system, second was a sort of " reborn " new & fresh game from the ashes after the supposed failure who was fusion, most wiper has smell the scent of " redemption " by SL just from the reintrodution of teams like ag sys, assegai,qirex & company and the simple overall presentation of the game;
    third very very important WAS A HUGE SUCCESS IN JAPAN
    fourth- WAS FULL & HUGE OF DOWNLOADABLE CONTENT

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Laeke

Quote Originally Posted by blackwiggle View Post
    There seems to be quite a few new players online since Xmas,of the few I've messaged,it seems most only know WO from XL/2097 or WO3,and are in their 30's,a lot of these new players are women.
    That would be me. Except the women thing. And it was before Christmas. I'm a tad below 30 too.
    I always liked WO a lot, but I jumped right from the 2097 (still have it at home) to this one.

The online is not overcrowded: I feared it would "die" first time I connected, but the number of people and lobbies seems consistent, which is good.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Connavar

According to this interview, Wipeout HD was a (financial) success:
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...lp-us-innovate

"Evolution and our Liverpool Studio have now merged in terms of management structure and using combined resources. Liverpool had great success this year with Wipeout HD and they also helped on MotorStorm as well," revealed Denny.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    darkfaerytales

ok then SL BRING US DLC!!!!!!

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Just before I posted at 8.24am yesterday there were 255,370 Venom/Vintea K times posted.

35 hours later there are 267,491.....or a bit over 12,000 units sold if one were to go by this as a sales marker.

Just thought you might like to know.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    radiumx

Actually I think that's because the demo also uploads times.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

That's a bit of a bad joke isn't it having the Demo list your times,I think/hope your wrong about that.
    Can you actually look at the records from the demo?
    If not,what would the point be of recording peoples demo race times?
    And if they can't play online then their times will not be sent to SL servers for recording.

I just checked the numbers again....267,879 UP another 389 since my last post......anybody got the demo to confirm that times are recorded?
    Last edited by blackwiggle; 8th January 2009 at 08:38 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    radiumx

Some people find time leaderboards to be an exciting feature, and I wouldn't be surprised if it uploaded the times. Neither do I see why it's a bad thing for demo times to be uploaded - it's fundamentally the same game minus features.