Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Some tips please.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

Another new guy here. (Hi all). I came to this site for the same reason as Jack. Was searching online for tips on Zone Zeus specifically.

I've got to zone 72/73 so many times it's starting to do my head in. Generally as soon as I get close I think I lose concentration and just start hitting walls all over the place. Today I got to zone 74 twice in a row, so hopefully I'll get there soon. I'm pretty sure it's just practice as I kind of plateaued at zone 68 ish for a while but kept at it and gradually improved. So yeah, I echo others' sentiments - if you really want the trophies, then stick at it. Good luck.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    zeeZinator

Try playing without audio and cover parts of the UI that show your energy and zones. I know the craft still shows your energy left, but the faster it gets the less time I have to actually try and see how much there is.

That got me quite a boost, not enough, but getting there... Oh, and don't try too hard, trying to force it won't do you any good

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ProblemSolver

Quote Originally Posted by SaturnReturn View Post
    Today I got to zone 74 twice in a row, so hopefully I'll get there soon.
    Enjoy that momenten when you hear that special voice upon reaching zone 75.
    The metallic black/blue color-scheme is yaw-dropping. I tell you, you will die in
    an instant.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Quote Originally Posted by ProblemSolver View Post
    I tell you, you will die in
    an instant.
    What happened to me haha I reached 75 on the finish line straight, paused, took pictures, unpaused, died

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ProblemSolver

@Darkdrium777:

My feelings about reaching zone 75 for the first time was like this;

Ignition sequence start ... *piep*, *piep*, *piep*, *tzzz* ...

[SUBVENOM] ...
    [VENOM] ...
    [SUBFLASH] ...
    [FLASH] ...
    [SUBRAPIER] ...
    [RAPIER] ...
    [PHANTOM] ...
    [SUPERPHANTOM] ...
    [ZEN] ...
    [SUPERZEN] ... smooth and steady ...
    [SUBSONIC] ... all systems nominal ...
    [MACH1] Zone 60 ... *nice*
    [MACH1] Zone 61 ...
    [MACH1] Zone 62 ... *feels good*
    [MACH1] Zone 63 ...
    [MACH1] Zone 64 ... encountering problems, unnecessary barrier hits ...
    [MACH1] Zone 65 ... SUPERSONIC displayed, pulse goes up ...
    [MACH1] Zone 66 ... barrier hit, barrier hit ...
    [MACH1] Zone 67 ... problems ... *aargh*
    [MACH1] Zone 68 ... *stabilize!*, *stabilize!*, *don't throw it away!*
    [MACH1] Zone 69 ... stabilized ...
    [MACH1] Zone 70 ... pulse stabilized ...
    [MACH1] Zone 71 ... [zone 70 cleared] ... pulse goes up ...
    [MACH1] Zone 72 ... barrier hit, barrier hit ...
    [MACH1] Zone 73 ... *keep it up, dude!*, *KEEP IT UP!!!* ...
    [MACH1] Zone 74 ... [energy critical, ding, ding, ding] ... *KEEP IT UP!!!* ...
    [ding, ding, ding] ... *one more to go, c'mon!!!* ... [ding, ding, ding] ...

silence ...

[S U P E R S O N I C] Zone 75.

That was an awesome moment!

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Quote Originally Posted by zeeZ View Post
    cover parts of the UI that show your energy and zones.
    Do you mean taping the TV or is there an option to hide the HUD like there was in pulse? I didn't find one and thought it was too bad.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Laeke

I am a very average (mediocre?) Zone pilot, but I'll give you my two cents though, even at the expense of looking like a fool!

- Relax: yeah I actually did one of my best scores as of yet (very average one, but the point is I did as good as what I can for the moment) while talking on the phone. Of course Zone requires focus, but being nervous doesn't help.
    I think zeeZ suggestion of masking the HUD is basically the same idea: do not worry about that, the ship will blow up at some point no matter what, heh?

- Maybe it is painfully obvious, but I think it helps as some point to focus on the track lines and not the ship itself (if playing in the third person view). The two colored lines are very useful when you reach certain color schemes where walls are hard to distinguish from the background; and when speed starts to being harder to manage, sticking to the center of the track is the best way to avoid walls...
    Last edited by Laeke; 5th January 2009 at 11:15 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 2
    PSN ID
    Tomeru

I did it at first without the music playing, and the second time I did with music and all its glory. Now, I barely play zone, but as you play more and get to know the kinks of every track and such, it will be easier to advance the zone.

Don't worry, it is VERY doable (atleast to 75).

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    zeeZinator

Quote Originally Posted by guillaume View Post
    Do you mean taping the TV or is there an option to hide the HUD like there was in pulse? I didn't find one and thought it was too bad.
    Well, I'm forced to play on a SD CRT most of the time, so I can just put tiny pieces of paper on it and it magically sticks. I use the Wip3out skin. Energy bar at the top is very tough to read, and zones are just displayed in a small area in the bottom left corner, so you could just put a book or a jar of cookies or something in front of your tv

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

do people find it's easier when you're comfortable or uncomfortable. for some reason i got my best score when there was a hapless 5 year old intermittently walzing in front of the tv, as well as my brother's gf screaming at me to do better because she liked the pretty colours.
    on my own, nice and relaxed, i can't get anywhere near that score

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Quote Originally Posted by yeldar2097 View Post
    as well as my brother's gf screaming at me to do better because she liked the pretty colours.

Tell her to try, she might just be able to get you the trophy Tell her there's the best colour on Zone 75

she insisted that she try, i didn't have to tell her! after 30mins of histrionics, zone 14. she wasn't happy.

i finally made it to the summit of the Mt Olympus of zoneworld today! crikey i'm chuffed.
    it's a shame i took a picture, the post-unpause wasn't pretty. 75 is very pretty though.

all this points to keep going! --------->keep going
    told you so
    turning sfx off helped a lot. actually, i forgot to turn it back on an my online racing was better by miles. i think i'll keep it like this...

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    BHK3

Ladies and gentleman good evening
    You've seen and seeing is believing
    Your ears and your eyes will be bleeding
    Please check to see if your still breathing

Againsts gods will...I DID IT. I AM A ZONE ZUES. I almost had NO damage when I hit 70...but then I accidentally BR'd and started crashing everywhere, the very second it hit 75, I died. Funny thing is, I haven't played it in like 3 days.

Now onto zico...and arcade perfect...and campaign legend...*cries*

Im so happy I made it...
    ---
    I apologise for the double post BUT I JUST BEAT ZICO.

BEST.DAY.EVER.
    Last edited by Task; 8th January 2009 at 03:30 AM. Reason: Good news, but the double post wasn't really required.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Lol Good job

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

Quote Originally Posted by ProblemSolver
    Enjoy that momenten when you hear that special voice upon reaching zone 75.
    The metallic black/blue color-scheme is yaw-dropping. I tell you, you will die in
    an instant.
    Thanks for the encouragement

Quote Originally Posted by Jack
    Againsts gods will...I DID IT. I AM A ZONE ZUES.

Quote Originally Posted by yeldar2097
    i finally made it to the summit of the Mt Olympus of zoneworld today! crikey i'm chuffed.

Am I the only one left that posted in this topic and hasn't done Zone Zeus yet? I had not tried this week because I've been too tired at work and find Zone so draining. But seeing all this encouragement - how could I not try again...and guess what? I got a new high score , but no Zeus Only 73. If there were an award for closest, most frequent failure I reckon I'd win it. Still, by this time next week, mark my words, that trophy will be mine.

EDIT:
    OMG!OMG!OMG! I Did it too. Didn't get long enough to experience supersonic properly but for that brief moment it was awesome. Thanks yeldar and Jack for achieving the trophy - if I hadn't read your posts I probably wouldn't have bothered for a while. And well done to you both. Woohoo! It feels so good.
    Last edited by SaturnReturn; 8th January 2009 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Zone Zeus!!! Yeah!!!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ProblemSolver

Well done! What was your feeling upon entering zone 75?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

For me my first thought was, "hmm, photo or points?", knowing full well that if i stopped to take a picture then when I returned I would instantly smack the wall. I went for the points hoping to boost me up the leaderboard a bit. I should have taken a photo, because I only lasted a few seconds and I'm so far down the leaderboard anyway.

I feel like I cheated a bit because I turned of music and sfx. So I shall keep practising with the hope of enjoying supersonic in its full glory. For the moment I just wanted that trophy as I've been trying so long.
    Last edited by Task; 15th January 2009 at 01:56 AM. Reason: Removed quotation of preceding post

well done chaps, good job all round!
    i love how right problemsolver was when he said i'd die in an instant. i crashed and i nearly had a heart attack i was so excited.
    it's such an awsome feeling, and sight to boot.
    it's all about collaboration (of sorts). let's hope we inspire others!