Thread: PSN Wipeout Records

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

Default PSN Wipeout Records

Until there's a table set up for the PSN re-releases of WipEout, which have proven to be much different than the original game, here's a thread I've set up to post record times.

Feel free to contribute yours. Just remember to specify which version you're using, single race or time trial, etc.

Of course, if this is deemed unnecessary by the moderators, feel free to lock it. If it's important, feel free to sticky it.

(Number 1 records shown)
    VENOM CLASS PS3

Altima VII SR
    Karbonis V SR
    Terramax SR
    Korodera SR
    Arridos IV SR
    Silverstream SR
    Firestar SR

Altima VII TT
    Karbonis V TT
    Terramax TT
    Korodera TT
    Arridos IV TT
    Silverstream TT
    Firestar TT

RAPIER CLASS PS3

Altima VII SR
    Karbonis V SR
    Terramax SR
    Korodera SR
    Arridos IV SR
    Silverstream SR
    Firestar SR

Altima VII TT
    Karbonis V TT
    Terramax TT
    Korodera TT
    Arridos IV TT
    Silverstream TT
    Firestar TT

VENOM CLASS PSP

Altima VII SR
    Karbonis V SR
    Terramax SR
    Korodera SR
    Arridos IV SR
    Silverstream SR
    Firestar SR

Altima VII TT
    Karbonis V TT
    Terramax TT
    Korodera TT
    Arridos IV TT
    Silverstream TT
    Firestar TT

RAPIER CLASS PSP

Altima VII SR
    Karbonis V SR
    Terramax SR
    Korodera SR
    Arridos IV SR
    Silverstream SR
    Firestar SR

Altima VII TT
    Karbonis V TT
    Terramax TT
    Korodera TT
    Arridos IV TT
    Silverstream TT
    Firestar TT
    Last edited by RJ O'Connell; 28th December 2008 at 05:17 PM.

don't the psp and ps3 versions play identically?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Same game, but handling is very different because PSP buttons are (much) more sensitive. Hence two tables, which is fair IMHO.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

Quote Originally Posted by RJ O'Connell View Post
    ...the PSN re-releases of WipEout, which have proven to be much different than the original game
    Just curious how the PSN releases differ from the original? I have played the PSN versions on my PS3 and PSP but have too little experience with the originals to note the differences.

PSN ID
    XBARNSTERX

I'll post some times later on to get things moving abit. i play on the ps3 now and then, but they will only be tt ones as i've not really played the sr. Another thing will you be putting on lap times for each too aswel as ship used?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    AG-Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by Darkdrium777 View Post
    Same game, but handling is very different because PSP buttons are (much) more sensitive. Hence two tables, which is fair IMHO.
    Well the handling is different in the original wipeout when you play D-Pad vs NeGcon, but there aren't two different tables there And by that right, Al should have his own table for every different controller configuration/iteration he uses lol

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

XD
    We need a forum section dedicated to Al's crazy but awesome inventions. I'll betcha he comes up next year with a controller he uses with his feet... And still owns with it. The FeetCon

But what I meant with that post you quoted: they are two different platforms... Same game but on two platforms, like WipeOut on Saturn and WipeOut on PSX. They have two tables there.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

So how exactly do the PSN versions differ from the original PS1 games?

Different speeds/framerates? Or is it just the difference of controls?

There are enough differences to make it impossible to fairly compare times on PSN and original Playstation disc versions, PAL or NTSC. After playing the Playstation disc versions, one thing you notice straight away when playing the Wipeout version from the PSN store is that the big craft (Qirex and Auricom) are easier to turn and the walls don`t sem to slow you down as much when you hit. The campaign is much easier on the PSN version with a Qirex or Auricom which suggests big differences. I don`t know if there are framerate differences, but it`s very likely as all other versions have differing frame rates. We could try documenting all the differences, but I don`t think there`s much point. The PSN version is okay, but for me it`s nothing like the feeling of the original on an old playstation with a neggie.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

Thanks, Lunar, that makes sense. I have spent very little time with WO on PS1 hardware so didn't notice these differences.

It's surprising to me that such big changes would have been implemented-- just seems like extra work for the porting job! Interesting. One of these days I need to pick up a PSone unit

PSN ID
    Sphereshift

I have the original PS1 WO. I am thinking about getting the PSN one. Besides a different feeling while playing..does it look better/different in a way?Thx...

I think the best way to play Wipeout 1 is on a PS1/PS2 with the disc (and negcon). If you`re playing on PS3 only, then the downloadable PSN version seems to me to run with a better framerate than the disc version does on PS3, so is probably worth getting.

But of course can not be used to set records for entry into the WZ times tables.

PSN ID
    infoxicated

Unless there's a definite demand for it - it's easy enough to add the PSN version into the records system.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    WZ_Task

Seeing as how there's been some discussion but no actual times entered into this thread, it seems unlikely. 8 )

I wouldn't mind trying this version out, just to see what it's like. It sounds like it might be a bit of a fun WO, but not seriously addicting or anything. "Leisure WO", yeah...