Thread: Do you like Weapons Off?

PSN ID
    pildog

Default Do you like Weapons Off?

Hi there, I was just wondering how many of you out there like Weapons-Off online races, because it seems to me that nobody does. I tried hosting a few games and nobody turned up... and those that did soon quitted as soon as they found out what they were in for. Same goes for the few Weapons games that I've joined, people quit as soon as they realise its WO!

I think the problem with WO is that if a good player gets a good start, its almost impossible to catch him up unless he screws up completely.

What do you think?

Timezone
    GMT + 2
    PSN ID
    Tomeru

Check out Avalon in the Arena sub-forum. It is Da Event for a no-weapons online play.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Tordmulen

I like when the host first selects a single track with weapons and then just after we race the same track only with weapons off. I equally enjoy weapons races as well as the more peaceful variant.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Klax75

I like weapon off races, now if we could have a option to turn of lame barrel rolls too.

Timezone
    GMT + 11
    PSN ID
    djKyoto

I like it, but with most people being in Euro, theres seems to be just the smallest amount of delay, which means I get bashed around like hell and always usually come off second best. But still, good fun. Lot more conceration required tho.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    radiumx

I'm not a fan of pacifist wipeout

PSN ID
    Amorbis

I love no weapons racing, it is a completely different type of racing. You have to be consistent and strategic. Make one mistake and it takes heaps of effort to get back into the running for first place. Barrel rolls have to be used wisely too, otherwise you die too easily.

That is probably why no one really plays no weapons, if your up against better people then there isn't much of a chance of winning. Like Kanar said, Avalon is a great event for no weapons racing.

PSN ID
    asymel

I think playing without weapon allows you to know if you you really manage the race ! If you can't manage it without weapon, it will be harder with.

You don't have to do any mistake, otherwise you will get bored and you will always finish the race in last position.

Playing first without and just after with is an interesting way to improve your skill on a specific track !

PSN ID
    xxOBHxx

I really enjoy it, but winning is a real task. If you start in last with 7 other good players you wont be winning the race.

All the respect in the world for players who have that sort of consistancy, i tend to buckle at the worst moment with weapons off, or get too eager with the br's in my little harimau and end up needing to complete 2 laps with critical health

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

As much as I enjoyed my brief time in Avalon in Pulse, and will continue to in HD, I don't agree with the idea of weapons-off racing. It basically turns Wipeout into F-Zero. And if I wanted to play F-Zero, I'd pop GX into my Gamecube and entertain myself that way.

The original Wipeout's tagline was Ballistic Anti-Gravity Racing, and I believe this should remain as such.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    KIGO1987

To the answer to you question; NO.

Weapons are always my preffered choice, they been appart of Wipeout since.... 2052 But Kanar Avalon events are good since they test your knowledge of the tracks, but racing in the Avalon styled events is like White Chocolate, its fking great but its good in moderation and just a tad too much will make you sick. But weapons ON is my choice, and for god sake get ELIMINATION MODE back in Wipeout again!

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    crawdad62

A couple of days ago I was playing and joined a room unaware it was weapons off. Well I had a blast. I stayed in and so did the other 3 or so players. We must've raced 10 races or so.

I have to admit to not specifically wanting to race with weapons off but I certainly enjoy doing so. When I'm on there's very little to choose from so I'll race any class, weapons on or off....... just as long as I get to race.

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

No I can't stand it feels like part of the game has been stolen away from me, a part I happen to enjoy very much. Plenty of racers without weapons and guess what they're mostly boring.

Its not 'Pure' to race with them off either, its an incomplete race with big parts of it missing. I drop out of races where the host decides to suddenly change it to weapons off or on the rare occasion that I don't realize before going in.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    crawdad62

Quote Originally Posted by Rapier Racer View Post
    I drop out of races where the host decides to suddenly change it to weapons off or on the rare occasion that I don't realize before going in.
    While I do hate people that change the format of a race suddenly then start it immediately I hate it even more when people dropout. I was in a tournament and by the end there was only me and the host. Bummer.

PSN ID
    Wotan998

Races without weapons are really exciting (management of the BR, good lines, put under stress by a possible explosion), I really like this style of running .
    But I also like races with weapons, that's why I often alternate between both (weapons on/off on each track) when I'm hosting a game
    Last edited by Wotan; 24th December 2008 at 03:50 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kanar

Hi pildog, I asked the same before (I'm sure I wasn't the first) here lol http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5033

Wipeout is a fantastic game because each (hardcore)gamer experience is different. That's why I found your post insulting Rapier. This is not a boring experience at all. This is one wipeout experience between others. They put the no-gun option from the start.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amorbis View Post
    Like Kanar said, Avalon is a great event for no weapons racing.
    Wasn't me mate, I was throwing up (gastro lol) when pildog opened this thread
    Last edited by kanar; 24th December 2008 at 04:41 PM.

PSN ID
    Wellington86

I definitely like weapons off. I find it adds much-needed variety. When you think you're starting to get sick of playing the same 16 tracks you can turn weapons off and suddenly everything is fresh again because the game is so different. I also like it because there is less luck involved than in a weapons race.

My preferred format is the same as Wotan's: One on and one off on each track. If I'm hosting I often don't do this though because lots of players do leave, but if there is a decent number of good players then that's the time to start doing it. It is unfair to generalise, however. I have known lesser players stick with it despite finishing far behind the leading pack in each race.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

I am a bit inclined to the weapon killer style ( eventhough i did admit mister Wellington did blew up my ship twice 2 nights ago which is almost me close from being masochist ahah but will take my revenge )
    I also like Avalon style except if there's more than 5 players : if you got a light ship with not a perfect thrust you can crash easily on lap1 80% of your shield just by being hit by myriad of ships into chicanes.

I like alterning 2 races weapons on then 1 weapon off for each track

PSN ID
    xxOBHxx

Quote Originally Posted by Asayyeah View Post
    if you got a light ship with not a perfect thrust you can crash easily on lap1 80% of your shield just by being hit by myriad of ships into chicanes.
    exactly. then a feisras out in front as its a long way back