Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Things that would improve HD

PSN ID
    rushinmonkey

Default Things that would improve HD

somewhat pretentious title, sorry about that some suggestions anyways

1) stop the host changing speed setting in existing rooms
    This is just wrong! if you want to race at a higher speed quit the room and join another, only thing this does is freak out/annoy everyone else there.

2) the grinding to a halt penalty is a bit too harsh for online races
    I guess this one is subjective, but it seems to me it just creates a very polar situation where whoever manages to get ahead early on will win. its all but impossible to catch up after you have been hit a couple of times. Today i was hit by a missile, i went flying into the wall over a mine. literally took me 3 or 4 seconds to even start moving. its anti competitive i tell ya

3) add text chat to lobby
    lots of times i want to say awesome race, or i'll start when we get another person, or whatever. some means of communication would be nice.

4) add friends direct from lobby/game rooms

sure there were more, but my eyes have stopped bleeding now so i better get back to playing

[EDIT] 5) if i fall off the edge i spend a lot of time falling off a second/third time as the game restarts you waaaay too fast. back in the WO3 days the little droid would drop you off nicely giving you time to find your bearings. you might say meh rushin get some skills but then you have to apply that to another 80% of the people playing. It's frustrating, not in a 'ooohhh this is hard i'll practice more' way, but 'bollocks not again'
    Last edited by rushin; 3rd October 2008 at 10:48 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    TheFrostE

i like the idea of text chat with KB in lobbies, because so much of the PSN community doesn't have headsets. SL has already done an amazing job with this one and have made us proud to be wipeout fans...and im sure they will update and add as time goes.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I agree with the changing of speed class as I choose which craft I'm going to use for the supposedly AGREED speed.

Nothing worse than to find yourself totally uncompetitive because your craft choice does not suit the NEW speed.

Whatever about grinding to a halt, there is something not quite working with the overall mechanic of competitive racing in that you are absolutely right that whoever gets an early lead has a massive advantage and it can be nigh on impossible to catch up when you're in the blast zone in the middle.

And it's really hard to know what could possibly be done to make that situation better. It's a natural result of the weapons - those in front don't have to worry about mines or bombs, those behind do. Those in the middle take the brunt of the weapons fire from behind and in front. If you're in the middle, even close to the front, you can't really take a huge amount of chances or your shields will give out. If you're right in front, you can pretty much race it like a time trial, increasing your lead and giving you safety from everything except a quake.

Like I say, I actually have no idea how that could be made better.

^ I think what you just said is the reason Nintendo puts Blue shells in Mario Kart. It helps to stop that happening, and in first place you cant just race along like a time trial regardless of the battles between other players and their weapon play between each other because you always run the risk of getting blue-shelled, so you can be caught up. However, the blue shell is unpopular with a lot of people so its a lose-lose really.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Belegurx

Blue shells... lol... i remember a Missile on... WOFusion? WO3? cant remember... that went directly to the leader too... it could be usefull for online races...

But what i mostly miss on this WOHD is the complete stats option from the previous fusion, pure or pulse, that even told u the time u spent watching the stats... i miss a lot to see how many weapons i used, wich ones most, laps on every curse... that kind of things... and an update 1.1 including that would be quite easy i guess...
    Last edited by Belegurx; 4th October 2008 at 11:12 PM. Reason: .

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Wip3ou7pure

I would like stat tracking also...
    More importantly I'd like for the mic problem to be fixed.... the game should not freeze for any period of time when u press the mic button.... that is ludicrous and I'm glad I haven't hit it accidently yet or I'd be seriously po'd.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    radiumx

If bombs were persistent as they were in Pure they could help slow leaders down.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Flashback_Jack

Well, after playing HD for a few hours earlier today, the only thing S.L. needs to do is make Phantom Phantom again -- the fastest class feels somewhere between Flash and Rapier this time. Gimme some Zen or Super Zen, thanks.

I like HD a lot; it's a very impressive piece of work -- but for that raw, visceral feel of racing, my heart is still with Pulse. Perhaps that will change when I score my own copy of HD and put more time into it, but I've yet to be convinced.

EDIT: Oh, and they need to un-nerf the barrel rolls. Pure was a constant nightmare when it came to critical shields; HD appears to have restored that peril. To each is own I suppose, but can't say I'm a fan of it.

- F
    Last edited by Flashback Jack; 5th October 2008 at 02:41 AM.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

You probably already know this, Flashback, but shield energy refills constantly (and quickly) when you are playing time trial and speed lap modes-- so for hot lapping, you can barrel roll as much as you want

I agree with you about the speed of the game, WOHD definitely seems slower than Pulse and even Pure.

I'm enjoying WOHD a lot-- bought my PS3 just recently so that I could play this game-- but in the end I expect I will slightly prefer the handheld games. I love portable gaming, and there is so much great content in Pure and Pulse. I do appreciate using the more powerful console, however, and a more seemless online system.

Timezone
    GMT + 10

Oh, and they need to un-nerf the barrel rolls. Pure was a constant nightmare when it came to critical shields; HD appears to have resOh, and they need to un-nerf the barrel rolls. Pure was a constant nightmare when it came to critical shields; HD appears to have restored that peril. To each is own I suppose, but can't say I'm a fan of it..tored that peril. To each is own I suppose, but can't say I'm a fan of it.
    I agree completely. Especialy when use a ship with relatively low sheild energy such as Icarus or agsys. Every time i do a barrell rol it seems to put the energy warning on.

Also, I love the idea of keyboard chat in the lobby, as it is a quick and accessable to most of us.

Another feature I would love to see on top of increased audio quality is an icon that appears next to a players name to indicate whether they simply [I]have[I][ a headset or not. That would tell me whether or not to turn mine on, as I only use it when I'm certain that there are others talking.

PSN ID
    RozPT

Pure was a constant nightmare when it came to critical shields; HD appears to have restored that peril.
    Curious. For me Pulse was the worst in that regard. My shields were always critical regardless of BR's. The AI was constantly raming me..

Anyway, things that would really make HD cool for me.

- Bug fixes. Ever since Pure that WipEout has frozen on me and my console. It's not game breaking but it's sure as hell annoying and totally unecessary.

- Working leaderboards. Because I have loads of records to upload. Part of the fun is knowing who's the best and trying to beat them. That was one of the reasons I bought HD and it's still not working, although I've read from Colin that it's being fixed.

- Elite dificulty less cheap. I'm ok with cheap AI, but Elite pushes it to the extreme. It really does. Weapons don't seem to affect them, ship stats mean nothing (Feisar leaving a Triakis in the dust without Turbo or pads?), they are ultra-fast so it all comes down to pure luck with weapons with a constant racing line. And all the pads. And all BR's.

I suppose I could turn down to Skilled, but I must have all the trophies =)

- Bring back the stats!

Other than that, I think I'm fine with HD.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashback Jack View Post
    EDIT: Oh, and they need to un-nerf the barrel rolls. Pure was a constant nightmare when it came to critical shields; HD appears to have restored that peril. To each is own I suppose, but can't say I'm a fan of it.
    I preferred the Pure system for multiplay and I`m glad it`s back - more tactical, more dangerous, more exciting. But, as you say, to each his own.

Text chat in lobbies would be useful, agree, and yes we love stats!

Regarding being stuck in the pack and having to get away at the start, I think it`s always been like that since Pure`s multiplayer. You absolutely have to get the first part of the race right and not get caught in the mash-up. That`s a huge part of the game. The only way around it that I`ve ever though might work was the idea to have no weapons for a period at the start of the race. Don`t know if I would like that until I saw it in practice, but it might balance the game away from the high thrust ships a bit. Triakis in Pure was slow starting, but you could catch up because it could eat bombs.

PSN ID
    RozPT

Oh, I forgot one.

Weapon pickups should take race position to consideration. Being 1st with Quake's and Missiles ready is stupid. Being last with Mines and Bombs is even worse. Maybe balance things out a little?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

As far as I know, weapon pads actually are a bit balanced, in that they give you a higher possibility of offensive weaopns when you are behind, and defensive ones when you are in front (even though it might not seem that way...).

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Klax75

For me, I've played WipeOut since the first version on the PS1. Sadly though I had never had my own copies, they had always been rented, or borrowed. Until I got both version for the PSP. (One I had to buy twice, since the first copy mysteriously disappeared)

Things that would make WipeOut better would be.

Replays of races, I really don't see the point in taking screen shots as it is right now. I love doing it, I've taken several of them, 100 or so. Yet it's not very enjoyable, since the easiest time to do it, is after a race when the computer it strolling around the track. I can't get any action shots, of me doing a barrel roll or anything. Since the game is so fast, I don't have time to hit Pause, then go to photo during a race. Not to mention online races. Being able to save replays to watch later, or to send to a friend. In GT5P and TT, I have tons of replays, sometimes in TT I set my replay playlist to play while I work on the computer, since I have several hours worth.

Online Replays, and ghost lap uploads. It would be nice to be able to download ghost laps of fellow players to try and see how they did it, and try there racing lines. And to watch replays of online races.

When a race is over and but not all players have finished, I'd like to see a track view instead of just looking at the race results. To watch the remaining craft finish.

Stats system, right now for me, there is no real draw to race online. Since I can't look at anyone's racing profile, or see there stats. I can't even look at mine. Was a fun part of previous games to look at your stats for every aspect of the game.

Teams and Leagues, a cool feature would to be able to form teams with your friends. Each team can have a set number of players it can have. Now they can have league events. League events would break down in to a race series, that you need to race in for your team. Kind of like MLB The Show '08. As in you have a set amount of time, to do the races you need run, against other people in the league. The points would be for each racers, plus there team for wins. How Formula One does it, so if I have a team and my guys come in 1st and 2nd, Driver 1 has 8 points, Driver 2 has 6 points and our Team has 14. The points would figure in for Trophies for the League Driver Champion, and for the top Teams Championship. League would have so many races they would have to do in there "season" but that can be set by the host of the league.

I know WipeOut is all about combat racing and that can be fun. Honestly the weapons in the game have always been the least favorite part for me. I don't find them fun at all. I call the weapons the second pilot assist feature.

I wish there was a host mode that you could set the number of laps you want per race, the racing is the fun part for me. And 3, 4, 5 lap races are just to short. I like setting up a race with no weapons at all, but to have the option of setting the race to be 20 laps or more would be wonderful. Now it doesn't go about what weapon you have it goes not hitting the wall and taking damage, so you don't explode. In this mode, pilot assist would be turned off. It would become more endurance racing.

Information about the racers you are going tor ace against. There should be a PA next to there name if they are using Pilot Assist or not.

I agree some sort of communication with others in the lobby. I'm not a fan of voice chat, call me old. lol. I'd rather type a message.

Online profile cards. So I can look up my own persona of my driver, showing me all his stats, win, lose, team used the most, tracks I prefer, but so others can see it to.

Search field for online stats, to be able to search for players by name.

In game buddy list, and team list (If there was teams) To be able to play your friends by inviting them easily.

I've notice that some graphical effects are gone from the PSP versions. The main one for me is when coming out of a tunnel that there is a burst of brightness then normalizes. Or going in to the tunnel it is slightly dark, then adjust to normal. As if your eyes had to adjust I always found this feature to be realistic and fun.

Adjusting the time of day. Like Vineta K, I always liked the sunny afternoon look from the PSP, over the dusk look of WipeOut HD. Adjusting your favorite track time of day, from dusk, dawn, mid-day, to night races would be fun.

Slip Streaming / Drafting, I'd always thought that it would be cool to draft off the AG Racer in front of you. So when you get in the exhaust energy beam that trails the behind each vehicle you will draft off them, if you leave the beam you will go back to normal speed. This would make it possible to catch up to people. And would work well in non-weapon races.

Now this suggestion is meant to expand on the WipeOut experience of AG racing, I know this wouldn't be for everyone. Taking WipeOut to a new level of realism in that not just upgrades for your AG vehicles would every upgrade system around everyone at the end of the road only uses certain components in there vehicles. I always wished in WipeOut that I could tune my craft. Changing aspects of it like in Gran Turismo. The spring rate of the hover effect, the handling sharpness or stiffness, ship acceleration, air brake effect how much or little it will help. Do my air brakes pop instantly, or are they fluid deployment. The amount of thrust in my craft, but it might effect the damage I can take. Now each adjustment would have pro's and con's, they would each effect my ship. Each AG SetUp I'd be able to upload and give to my friends. SetUps saved, Per craft and can be saved Per Track. Each parameter of each ship would have it's limits. Where changing my one element might effect my over all top speed of my charge. Changing another might give me more, speed, by my cornering will go down. Changing the shock of the hover, might run the risk of bouncing off the track if I hit to hard back on the track.
    Last edited by klax75; 5th October 2008 at 10:11 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Amon69it

Quote Originally Posted by Flashback Jack View Post
    Oh, and they need to un-nerf the barrel rolls. Pure was a constant nightmare when it came to critical shields; HD appears to have restored that peril. To each is own I suppose, but can't say I'm a fan of it.
    As you say at each his own... to me barrell rolls should have been entirely left out of the game....

I agree with the fixed speed class thing... not nice to sarch a rapier class race only to join and discover that the host has changed to venom

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Klax75

I also agree barrel rolls should be taken out. If they have to be in there, make the controls for them different, the left right left thing is horrible.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Belegurx

I absolutly agree... i hate when my lap time depends on how many BR can i make on a single lap (read: Beat Zico). I cant use the Sixaxis to pitch control cos of my usual postion of the control pad when i play, and having to push back, and then left-right-left in half a second just to gain some time, i usually loose it instead... if i could move my fingers so fast i would play piano...

Just my opinion... Barrel Rolls... Goodbye!
    Last edited by Lance; 6th October 2008 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Redundant quotation removed. Read the guidelines.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Flashback_Jack

Quote Originally Posted by klax75 View Post
    If [barrel rolls] have to be in there, make the controls for them different, the left right left thing is horrible.
    The input is fine really, and makes them quite simple to execute. Are there any other reasons you would want them removed from the game?

- F