Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Wish – WipEout Evolution (3D)

Default I Wish – WipEout Evolution (3D)

A little something for you grizzly veterans and next gen rising stars

I remember when I first booted up WipEout on the psx and drooled over the ice cool CGI rendered intro which tuned my imagination and set things up for one of my favourite gaming experiences of all time. The way the craft handled, floated and occasionally flew was amazing. As fantastic as the game was I recall part of me saying to myself I wish I could play the game as it appeared in the eye watering intro. I was aware that this was unfortunately an impossibility as it was ray traced frame by frame, hour by hour on a Sun Microsystems or some other supercomputer. Still a boy can dream

2097 and Wip3out carried the torch, and then I saw a movie called Hackers in which they had a high def version of the game played in a bar on a huge projection screen. Hollywood and reality however rarely synchronise

Then came Sony’s Fusion and Quantum Redshift from the original Psygnosis team and I gave up hope

Pulse on the Psp and the classic expansion then rekindled the desire. By now a career and women had all but killed my digital skills and a PS3 was not even on my radar until I saw an advert for WipEout HD.

I went out and bought one immediately, hooked it up to my projector, started the download, and the rest is history. The perfect realisation of my wish. In sparkling high def my wall magically transformed into a 250 inch portal to the future. One of those perfect moments in life (I love this game!)

Anyway I thought it would be really interesting to find out what the next generation who started out on the PS3 and 360 want to see in future evolutions of the wipeout series. Dare to dream, you may one day get what you wish for!

How about WipEout H3D, a code update that renders the game in stereoscopic interlaced 3D and some Oakley styled WiFi shutter glasses The immersion and phenomenal sense of speed would take things to a new level. (well worth any price in my opinion, PS3 should be able to handle the processing)

Just a thought. Merry Christmas everone !

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

Wipeout in 3D would just cause people's heads to explode from over-immersion. Hellz yeah, I would buy.

Oh, and

(shield activated)
    I found Quantum Redshift and Wipeout Fusion to be great fun actually.
    (shield de-activated)

(missile absorbed)
    dont worry no axe to grind

Both are great games, just nowhere near to creating the addiction that the original 3 had and now HD

PSN ID
    NFNiTM

If done in the right way, WipEout would look amazing cell shaded.

Agreed or high rez vectors a bit like a wireframe mode brought into the 21st century.

Timezone
    GMT + 11
    PSN ID
    djKyoto

Quote Originally Posted by quantum-avatar View Post
    Anyway I thought it would be really interesting to find out what the next generation who started out on the PS3 and 360 want to see in future evolutions of the wipeout series.
    (missle) (rockets) (plasma) (missle) (missle) (quake) (cannon) (missle)

Such Hostility...

To be fair to the 360 the only game that gets a look in with Wipeout available is Pacman Championship Edition on the 360, it is superb and well worth a look.

Still my last 360 died, scratched all my games and was unable to log on to LIVE so if Microsoft is -- Eliminated -- I wont lose too much sleep

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    DJTECHNO

i might be a halo player...

but i still will not have one piece of xbox console in my house.

wonder how i play halo a lot... ask the friends who house i go to. to play.

hahah

but really. i could play wipeout hd and with my oakleys. look and play really really great? in all 3d and stuff u mentioned?

PSN ID
    Judus

How about WipEout H3D, a code update that renders the game in stereoscopic interlaced 3D and some Oakley styled WiFi shutter glasses The immersion and phenomenal sense of speed would take things to a new level
    Funny you mention stereoscopic rendering. It could very well be the next stage in television evolution no?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    WZ_Task

No. Too difficult to hold that "unusual focus point" for any significant amount of time.
    Pretty sure the next stage is TV on your wristwatch. 8 P

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

I'm actually pretty sure 3D is the next step - just as I read a couple of weeks ago.

PSN ID
    Z-U

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thum...quality-ps3-3d

"I couldn't pry details about how the 3D affect was achieved, or if the display could turn any source into 3D, but what's clear is that, glasses or no, the 3D affect is amazing. Sony showed off Wipeout HD running in true 3D, and I was ready to whip out my credit card right there. Frank and I both agreed, this was one of the best demos of 3D technology we have ever seen."

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

Fantastic stuff! And from Nick no less - a pleasant surprise!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

Nice!

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

Very cool-- this should perhaps be posted over in the WOHD board...

Edit-- Various reaction and more information from neogaf crowd
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=348117

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

3D Zone may just cause instant, non-stop orgasms for anyone that plays it...

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

In that case I'd rather have an epileptic fit I guess. Saliva stains are so much easier to clean...

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Now that's real classy...

PSN ID
    Z-U

You should see it! Fantastic effect.

Couple that with realtime headtracking and gaming can go somewhere very unique.....(at least for the solo player game experience).

Movies can only do 3D without the headtracking, but at least others in the same room can enjoy the 3D effect.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

Sounds awesome

Uhm, what's headtracking?