Thread: Sixaxis Motion Control

Unhappy Sixaxis Motion Control

A brilliant addition in my view that really adds a new dimension to the experience and somehow makes you feel like you are really flying the ship and not just playing a video game.

Thing is it's bloody hard to get the same level of confidence as you can with the stick.

Has anyone found a workable setting or techniques that make it usable in an online racing situation?

Would love to know your thoughts

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Ceiu

I think the best use for the motion controls are for pitch -- for steering it just feels too lagged to be competitive above flash.

But that's just me. Maybe there's someone out there who can rock the motion controls...

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

The delay is annoying for full ship steering. However for pitch control it works really well.

I agree, pitch only at present, its a shame to limit it though. Given its all electronic do you think they have programmed in the lag because they dont trust our coordination or is it a hardware issue? I have not had a chance to use it on any other games so cant compare.

If programed then an update patch that increaces the sensitivity and immediacy would be most welcome!

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    crawdad62

I tried it and it just didn't seem sensitive enough. I agree that for pitch control it works pretty well (even though I went back to the analog stick for pitch) but thinking about this and the fact I just got an iPhone I think it would be cool if SL released a version for it. Of course that doesn't mean I want them to take time away from releasing DLC for Wipeout HD though

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    FrenkyV

I've used it once for the trophy, but I really found it unnatural...

But its nice is there

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

It is hardware related, nothing can be done to fix this (This is Bluetooth standard).
    At least they fixed the controller itself though, I don't have the problem of 'Randomly press /\ when in wireless mode' that I had with my first two SIXAXIS.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Ceiu

I think it's more the motion sensor itself than Bluetooth. If it was the protocol, you'd see the lag for all activities -- including your basic button presses.

It wouldn't surprise me to find that the controllers are using some variation of the mercury sensor for each axis; which would quickly explain the lag on the motion controls (time required for the liquid to physically move).