Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is wipEout HD LAN-capable?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

Default Is wipEout HD LAN-capable?

I've looked a bit into how several PS3s could be linked together in a private LAN, and from what I read on teh interwebs, it seems to be possible with simple patch cables and a switch. (not that I've actually tried myself yet...)

However, I don't know if there's a way to play wipEout HD over LAN, since I don't see any LAN option in the game's menu itself. So my question to everyone (yes, that also includes you, SL people!) is: does anyone know how to create a multiplayer session in HD via LAN? Is it even possible? Has anyone even tried creating a PS3 LAN for any game at all?

Any help would be much appreciated, we only have until May 2009, Frankfurt to find a solution!

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

I didn't try this out because I don't have two PS3s (For obvious reasons ), but what happens if one PS3 hosts an online game with the correct number of slots, and everyone else on the LAN joins that game? It's not a LAN game really, but it should work.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

The problem I see is that 'online' tries to connect to the internet servers as soon as you select it, doesn't it? I don't think the 'online' portion is even selectable when offline... does anyone know?

PSN ID
    mdhay_wz

No, Martin mate, it says that it can't connect to the network.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

That's what I thought - so is there any way to create a LAN game?

PSN ID
    mdhay_wz

Usually, if a game can do LAN you'd be able to select it - Warhawk and Haze among others. SL could add it, but it might take some work.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

So other games actually have a LAN option in the menu?

Okay, SL, you know what you gotta do - make it happen! May 2009 is the deadline!*

*please?

PSN ID
    mdhay_wz

Yes, I'll take a pic if I can.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    radiumx

I'm sure a LAN would have to be entirely possible though - how on earth else would they have playtested it?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

With an internal test server?

To make it lan capable wouldn't take much work: all the online server does is provide a matchmaking service. But: not much is still non-zero, and generally, how many people are gonna have a PS3 lan? I mean, I sure as hell would, but I think it's a pretty slim niche. If SL have to choose between patches to fix bugs, making new content which they can charge for, or writing a local matchmaker that a handful of people will use, which do you think they will pick?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

We don't need a local matchmaker. We just need an option that allows connecting to a private network instead of the official internet servers. All the rest can remain the same, no re-programming needed. I know that I know nothing about programming, but that does sound like a half-hour task for a programmer to me...

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

You can always arrange to have an internet connection at the place where you will be, so it will work.

Otherwise, WipEout HD is not LAN capable.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

Internet connection to play with 8 people at the same location online would be a BAAAAAD idea! Think about it: 8 people using the SAME hotspot to connect online! Even if the hotspot has a connection speed of 20Mb down and 5Mb up (which would be top notch), splitting that up to 8 people would cut it down to 2500kb down and 600kb up for each PS3 - not quite enough for an unproblematic, lag-free experience... (the ping would be ace though )

Nothing is ever a half-hour task for a programmer.

Thorough testing for every incompatibility induced problem has to be done during the writing process.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

See, told you I know nothing of it!
    Anyway, I think it might be possible to implement with a rather limited timeframe.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Quote Originally Posted by eLhabib View Post
    splitting that up to 8 people would cut it down to 2500kb down and 600kb up for each PS3

What I have. It works well in most cases. And it's less than your calculations.

However you also don't have much choice, it's that or there's no LAN.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    WZ_Task

Quote Originally Posted by eLhabib View Post
    Internet connection to play with 8 people at the same location online would be a BAAAAAD idea! Think about it: 8 people using the SAME hotspot to connect online! Even if the hotspot has a connection speed of 20Mb down and 5Mb up (which would be top notch), splitting that up to 8 people would cut it down to 2500kb down and 600kb up for each PS3 - not quite enough for an unproblematic, lag-free experience... (the ping would be ace though )
    I dunno, I think it might be worth trying. That low ping is really the key point.
    For online gaming, Ping Is King. 8 )
    If I remember my TCP/IP correctly, all the packets would go out to the ISP (hopefully a very short journey!) and then go right back to you. The "up" would be the first limiting factor, so it really depends on the packet size that HD uses.

Try it out! See how good or bad it is in practice.
    If the Sony servers are involved, then it just might be as bad as you fear. But if the packets don't have to route through the Sony server, it might work out really nicely!
    I believe it depends a bit on how the ISP handles their b/w throttling, since all you're doing is internal communication you might have a lot more pipe than you would talking to any internet server.

PSN ID
    rushinmonkey

2500/600 is actually more than 90% of connections in the uk. fairly standard is 2000/500, which sould be ample

PSN ID
    mdhay_wz

Or, you could go to Japan and get a 4GB connection.