Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So.. Where are all the Piranha players??

PSN ID
    xxOBHxx

Default So.. Where are all the Piranha players??

Does anybody else almost never see them?? Or when they do, are rarely world beating players (no offense to any guys here i dont know about! )

I've had the pleasure of racing with quite a few zoners now, and I cant recall a single one of you guys, or indeed anyone else, using Piranha.

I generally never went for the speed over agility kind of wipeout teams, but are icarus really that much better to warrent so many people using them over piranha and triakis?

Shame really, I think the 3rd piranha skin looks sweet.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kanar

hey Haydn,

My 2 cents, because I was a piranha pilot for pulse & tried to continue that career for hd... here, maybe you remember : http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/sho...0&postcount=38
    But some times after, I realized that: http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/sho...1&postcount=48
    I noticed a kind of "technical correction" on each track, by an average of 0.15(same racing line, brs-haven't tried to improve anulpha reverse-). What's my point? Piranha is reserved to experts, I mean you can't escape from the wall if your racing line isn't perfect. Well, that's for TT or SL of course, because online your big shield is a great advantage for sure. But you have to master the floaty fish before. It's more than practice at this point I think.

PSN ID
    Amorbis

I was a Piranha pilot since Wip3out up until HD. I use Piranha in Pulse so upon buying HD I used them out of favouritism. I tried using different ships after I completed the campaign and found Icaras gave me the extra edge thanks to the increased thrust and handling. I do miss Piranha's shield though, I could really have done with it online sometimes.

I might see what I think of Piranha now that I've been an Icaras pilot for two months. You never know, I might go back! (or not )

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Ceiu

I fly piranha pretty much full time -- except when I'm attempting that awful zone trophy (which, by the way, is incredibly difficult thanks to the goofy 100% handling that bloody zone ship has).

Sadly, most of the time I see someone else playing piranha online, they're also using pilot assist; so they generally don't do that well anyway...

Timezone
    GMT + 2
    PSN ID
    Tomeru

I started using Piranha more now, switching between it, Icaras and Ag. Managed to win some phantom tournaments, and to my surprise it is much easier to control than I imagined. So far I like it

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    TreAtzTMA

I've started using Piranha again lately, especially for Venom/Flash class races. Don't think I got the chops for faster races.

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Who wants to use a Piranha when Icaras is sitting there? Its like the Harimau Assegai thing.

PSN ID
    xxOBHxx

you look at the stats too much.
    pirahna handles nothing like a heavier, longer, understearing icarus, and harimau acts ike an understeering assegai.

to each their own.

PSN ID
    rushinmonkey

i was flying piranha and auricom on rapier and having lots of fun. But really struggled on phantom with either so for now have given up and gone for goteki and mirage mostly.

Hoping to change back one day - phantom no longer seems insanely fast but without high handling craft is still very unforgiving.

PSN ID
    Lightlord

It might sound weird to say this but the Piranha does feel faster on top speed than the Icarus even if they show the same stats at times it doesn't feel like the Icarus is as fast although that 10 extra acceleration and handling at the sacrifice of shield does help it to stay close!

Timezone
    GMT -5

I've played Piranha only since 2097. Piranha for life!

I have just started doing online matches again in WOHD, so keep an eye out for Eldermatrix (my PSN handle).

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Cerbis

Now, I don't have months of practice or experience with the Wipeout HD teams, so I'm not really qualified to make many comparisons with other craft.

However, I do know that the Piranha is very satisfying to fly, and has a certain kind of solidity I find myself missing when flying other, twitchier craft.
    I've also discovered that it's incredibly demanding to fly at record-breaking speeds, especially taking around corners on narrow tracks But I try, more than anything, to fly the Piranha and become skilled with it.
    There's just something about it!

See me online, and there's a great chance you'll see me in my beloved Piranha.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Ceiu

Angry fish is angry. That is all.

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

greenix knows all about my piranha
    sadly they kicked me out of the team after being an embarrassment, apparently i wasn't "lairy" enough...
    in all honesty, i really like the piranha in HD, 3rd skin is awesome and i've got some pretty good times out of it (2.03 chenghou multiplayer (i was proud))

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Elois-13

I started practicing with the piranha, was quite good at it online as long the race wasn't too... hot ( i.e. mines and missiles everywhere )
    I prefer it to Icaras, which seems way too weak for races... I managed at leat one perfect lap on every race with piranha, except chenghou, then I tried auricom. I think it can stand online better, thrust seems important, and piranha lacks it way too much.

Now that I'm training with Harimau, I feel so light lol

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Ceiu

Quote Originally Posted by Eloï View Post
    thrust seems important, and piranha lacks it way too much.
    Exactly. I love my Piranha, but it's simply not competitive and the lack of thrust is why. Sure, you can pull off some decent times if you (a) never touch a wall, (b) never get hit by a weapon and (c) aren't on a track which requires airbrakes (aka: not playing this game).

There's maybe one or two tracks which the maxed out top-speed comes in handy (Metropia and Anulpha Pass), but virtually every other track requires too much use of the airbrakes to keep up with other pilots at or above your skill level. Plus, the difference in top-speed isn't that great from ship to ship. Sure, it's noticeable given enough straight track, but the tracks in HD are short and bendy which immediately negate the biggest advantage the Piranha has.

I suppose the 90% shields are also nice... except for the fact BRs cost the same across all ships and wall scraping/ramming is far more damaging than any weapon, save for a direct plasma bolt.

Again, I love my fish, but it's advantages are geared towards tracks which don't exist in this game. Maybe if they added some of the long versions of the tracks from Fusion or a 2097 track or two, but definitely not with the Pure/Pulse track selection.

...that's my two cents, anyway.

Wait, BR's cost a percentage of shields rather than a set amount? Is that true? That would be annoying, I always assumed it was the latter.

PSN ID
    TearsToShreds

I like using the fish every now and then. I don't force myself to use just one team and just drive whatever I feel like. I think I've set a few of my best records with the Piranha and noticed I couldn't beat them with any other craft, no matter how hard I tried. Maybe I was just having a bad day.

Also, its third livery = sex.

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

BRs cost 15% shield no matter what you're flying.

had a great piranha session with cerium last night, top stuff mate!
    got a pb on ubermall reverse as well in a piranha!
    i guess it's all that added bite!

edit: it's a common misconception that this brick won't do corners; every so often it'll amaze you. no3 and no8 times on chenghou and ubermall reverse respectively (quite demanding on the corner front).
    i don't mean to boast by any means. i'm just trying to illustrate that even an obese fish can go round corners with some aptitude. i'm giving people hope
    Last edited by yeldar2097; 19th February 2009 at 11:27 AM.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Ceiu

Quote Originally Posted by The Muse View Post
    Also, its third livery = sex.
    Agreed. Although, one of my friends asked if the sponsor was McDonalds.

Quote Originally Posted by yeldar2097 View Post
    it's a common misconception that this brick won't do corners; every so often it'll amaze you. no3 and no8 times on chenghou and ubermall reverse respectively (quite demanding on the corner front).
    i don't mean to boast by any means. i'm just trying to illustrate that even an obese fish can go round corners with some aptitude. i'm giving people hope
    There are some corners which are just killer due to the amount of airbraking required (Sol2 comes to mind) -- and that's where we start falling behind.