View Poll Results: Which control method do you use in WOHD?

Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll
  • D-pad

36 33.03%
  • Stick

50 45.87%
  • Motion

2 1.83%
  • Motion + D-pad

15 13.76%
  • Motion + Stick

6 5.50%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which control method are you using?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

dpad no motion control

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Zackdem

D-pad only, since the first W'O", I have never try analog for WipEout and will never try, I'm too used with the D-pad to change now

PSN ID
    chboing

i used stick, but i switched to dpad 1 week ago, my times are better now.
    no motion

PSN ID
    Wotan998

New wiper : Stick and no motion control

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Soccermums

Besides having played a little bit of fusion, I haven't really played WO before - so stick for me in HD (though I struggle quite bit with barrel rolls)

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Rubix42

I'm bringing this thread back, as I just discovered my favorite way to control this game.

My wife, being the dear she is, purchased the Street Fighter IV arcade stick for me for Valentine's day. Showed up early, so she gave it to me.

Wow, once I had a good button layout, this is my new favorite way to race. The joystick being used as a flight stick is really nice. I get the precision of the d-pad with the free movement of the stick. Also, I can have my fingers on the buttons ready to brake, fire and absorb without ever moving my hand. I just set all new lap times for even my best scores in SL.

I highly recommend you try this out if you ever get the chance. It feels very strange at first, but give it a little time and I doubt you'll walk away anything but pleased.

PSN ID
    silverfoxy

I'm old school so use the d-pad no motion

Only time I used the stick was for Beat Zico as for some reason I found it easier to do all the BRs especially the one onto the bridge.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Connavar

I was a stick player (still am in Zone), but I switched to d-pad because I couldn't be consistent
    with it, although when I was, I did great laps, the stick offers many advantages such as precision,
    and gives you the feeling that you're actually piloting a ship, not just pushing buttons ...

I would love to use it again but I'm right handed and SL please allow us to use the right stick,
    and to remap every button (including the 4 directions of the d-pad) to a function, and also
    to assign a function to several buttons (that way I could switch from 1 method to another
    in-game), that would be perfect

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    TorquedSoul

I've been using the stick but I think I'm about to convert to the D-pad. I have no problem controling with the stick ... but pulling off barrel rolls with it is a pain in the rear. I'm finding that the d-pad is more consistent as there is less "play" in the lef/right axis ... plus my thumb doesn't need to travel all over the place to pull it off.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Connavar

Quote Originally Posted by TorquedSoul View Post
    plus my thumb doesn't need to travel all over the place to pull it off.
    Note that you don't need to do that, you can go a very slight left/right/left and
    it'll execute your BR!

PSN ID
    Spinninggenius

I use a really weird control system. I use L2 as left airbrake, X as right airbrake, R2 as accelerate and Left analog stick to steer

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    chaos80

Stick... Yup, I'm one of those...

PSN ID
    Andybob35/ZoNeS

Cool

D-pad, as nature intended! the stick makes too much noise and the main reason i didn't play any of the psp wipeouts... one day

Im looking forward to my new ps3 fightpad which has the best d-pad for barrel rolls! fans of fighting games know where i coming from...

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    TorquedSoul

Quote Originally Posted by Connavar View Post
    Note that you don't need to do that, you can go a very slight left/right/left and
    it'll execute your BR!
    I've tried that and my barrel rolls happen less frequently. Maybe I just need more practice but its rather annoying to try hte barrel roll and fail and then try it again ... succeed ... get charged for it ... but be too close to the ground to complete it.

ugh.

PSN ID
    MR-RICO84

Full motion. Just feels so good when you get the hang of it.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    KIGO1987

Quote Originally Posted by Nadia Elenova View Post
    D-pad for PSX, analog for PSP and D-pad again for Wipeout HD. [COLOR=Purple]
    FM! Me same too.

PS1 Wipeout's DPAD
    PS2 Wipeout DPAD
    PSP Wipeout's Analog stick
    PS3 Wipeout DPAD, with no motion control, but that is about to change.

Timezone
    GMT + 9
    PSN ID
    Heian_Xavier

I know this thread is for HD, but with people talking about their previous history I'll add mine too.

WO1, 2, 3: all with NeGcon. Couldn't master it with a regular controller whether using analog or d-pad. With a neggy everything is fine!

Fusion: Left stick. This game feels a lot like F-Zero GX, which I mastered using that control setup, and I like the smooth control of the stick.

Pure and Pulse: Both d-pad. Feels much quicker than the nub.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubix42 View Post
    My wife, being the dear she is, purchased the Street Fighter IV arcade stick for me for Valentine's day. ... I highly recommend you try this out if you ever get the chance. It feels very strange at first, but give it a little time and I doubt you'll walk away anything but pleased.
    Sounds like a great way to play the game! Anyone know if the steering wheels created for Gran Turismo, such as this one, work with Wipeout? I saw a used one on sale recently and was thinking about how much fun Wipeout would be with it. A foot pedal to accelerate!

PSN ID
    MR-RICO84

KIGO1987, do I hear correct? Are you going full motion? Excellent. Let me know how you get on with it.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    eastrain

thought i should chime in..
    dpad, but can't stand the damn ds3 triggers- switched airbrakes the l1/r1 instead.. also changed the sensitivity on accel and airbrakes to minimum so that even the lightest touch registers as 100% on... feels so much better than any of this analog wackiness.. then again, it might just be the psp gaming in me making me setup my controls so wacky...

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    TehRedScar

Pitch and Stick