Thread: Digital vs. analog controls

Timezone
    GMT -7
    PSN ID
    omf

Default Digital vs. analog controls

Do any of you have any thoughts on the use of digital vs. analog controls for WOHD? I imagine most people are using the analog sticks, but maybe I'm wrong?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Alienspapercraft

I am using a digital cross......I don´t know why but the analog stick does not fit to me......in Wipeout®HD only.....In the other hand In the Warhawk™ I´m using it a lot

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kanar

digital cross for me too, not at ease with the analog stick.

Timezone
    GMT -7
    PSN ID
    omf

Interesting. Is it worth setting up a poll on this question, or is there already one created?

If you set up a poll don't forget to add Motion Control as an option!

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Digital,same reason as Kanar.
    Well that and mainly because I find the analog stick both too far a stretch for my thumb and too tall,tends to make me weave all over the place.[even more than usual ]
    I remember that for a very short time Sony made a dual analog controller that had a indented analog button where the D-Pad is,it was more of a prototype of what became the original dual analog.
    Now something like that brought up to date might be good for WO .

Airbrakes re mapped to L1 R1,I don't mind the analog airbrakes,just don't like the L2 R2 buttons,my fingers slips off them and I find it uncomfortable having my fingers stretched around the controller like a spider.

PSN ID
    xxOBHxx

Analog stick. D-pad hurts my thumb playing wipeout. If i was able to get a full on old school joystick for the ps3 id use that

fire - r1 absorb - l1 left/right airbrake - l2/r2

Also, has anyone seen the clip thing that turns the r2/l2 buttons into more 360esc triggers?? mate had them for a few quid off amazon, works really well.

PSN ID
    Amorbis

I use the D-pad all the time, I've always used it on racing games. I don't see anything wrong with analogue sticks but I just don't use them for racing games.

I have those clippy R2/L2 triggers that Haydn mentioned, I must say they are very good. They've snapped off a few times whilst playing Warhawk but not that often. I got mine in my local Gamestation for £2 when I bought SEGA Rally.

I've ordered one of these. It should enhance the whole experience.

PSN ID
    Xtriko, PS3, PSP & Vita

I'm also a Digital Cross user. since there are no Neggie
    L1 and R1 for airbrakes.

PSN ID
    xxOBHxx

Quote Originally Posted by Amorbis View Post
    I use the D-pad all the time, I've always used it on racing games. I don't see anything wrong with analogue sticks but I just don't use them for racing games.

I have those clippy R2/L2 triggers that Haydn mentioned, I must say they are very good. They've snapped off a few times whilst playing Warhawk but not that often. I got mine in my local Gamestation for £2 when I bought SEGA Rally.

I've ordered one of these. It should enhance the whole experience.
    Now thats a pad

I used to use the d-pad all the time for racing games, until GT corrupted me into using the left stick for handling, and right stick for throttle. I love that set up.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    darkfaerytales

definitely D-pad
    old wipers uses D-pad

i get used this way since at wipeout/w2097 times wasn't there any analogs

PSN ID
    xxOBHxx

Im an old wiper, and I've switched to analog.
    Learnt to enjoy the smooth flying i get from it, and no longer needing to stab at the d-pad to keep correcting myself.
    Last edited by Task; 28th November 2008 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Removed quote of previous post

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    darkfaerytales

yes, i have try it a lot, but don't work for me definitely...the stick is placed in a too ankward position, i still use the airbrakes on the R2 L2 unlike most of people who has switched on R1 L1 so it lead me in a really ankward an unconfortable position to race...

PSN ID
    xxOBHxx

youve almost quoted my exact setup still l2/r2 brakes for me.
    I just remapped absorb/fire to l1/r1.
    works well for me so then every action for the ship (except look back) has its very own finger
    Last edited by Lance; 2nd December 2008 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Redundant quotation of immediately previous post eliminated!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

Dpad here, i find analog nub much more precise in any circumstances except one big stuff : doing BRs : my thumb is not accutumate to 'drive' that long 'left-right-left' compared to dpad , if you see what i mean.