22 48.89%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DO you use auto pilot online?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Connavar

Quote Originally Posted by H3avyM3tal View Post
    But then the question becomes; if sometimes, than when? When it's convenient? Then what happenes to winning with skill, if that ap I just used took me through that chenghou turn and won me the race? It may not be cheating, but it IS cheating in a way that the game allows me to cheat. Hell, the AI on elite cheats, so why shouldn't I?
    The AP is part of the game, knowing how to use it is a skill.
    If you use it, you know it can skip some speed boosts, you won't be able to collect a weapon item, you won't be able to recharge your shields.
    It's very tactical, in no way it's a cheat.

"if that ap I just used took me through that chenghou turn and won me the race?"
    => I can say that for EVERY item, everyone won races with a final turbo / mines / missile etc...

There's nothing ethically wrong with using the autopilot. I don't use it though, as I found it to be pretty crap. In 2097 the autopilot would get you back up and running in no-time if you were stalled out due to weapon hit, and it would take you cleanly through any set of corners no matter how bad you screwed up going into them (basically, in 2097 the autopilot disobeyed physics ). But here in HD I (and I'm fairly average) fly better than the autopilot. Only time I could see it being any use would be to activate it before entering a set of corners you find extremely difficult: end chicane on Ubermall, or the hairpin left before the double-jump on Chengou, but in both the cases I'd say you'd be better served always flying manually, getting the practice and learning how to take them. In short: the (a) powerup is actually just an (e) in disguise

Timezone
    GMT + 11
    PSN ID
    djKyoto

The only times I use Auto-Pilot is on the twisty stuff on CP, SC and Sol2. Everywhere else it's just not necessary.

PSN ID
    xxOBHxx

Quote Originally Posted by djKyoto View Post
    The only times I use Auto-Pilot is on the twisty stuff on CP, SC and Sol2. Everywhere else it's just not necessary.
    Thats just not true.

AP lets you carry more speed round many corners that just isnt possible without it. Especially if used after br's and speed pads.

Take ubermall for example, br after the first jump, bouce over the chicane, br onto the double speed pads, turn on auto pilot, and as long as your lines correct you fly round the last corner sideways at a stupid speed. Your never, ever gonna carry that much speed normally, and anyone unlucky enough to be in your way gets pounded.

Another use is on Anulpa Pass reverse, on the final right hander, if you turn on your auto pilot after a barrel roll you'll hit each speed pad all the way round, and if fighting for the lead will easily bash them off course.

Theres all sorts of other istances, ubermall reverse, after the chicane backwards you can hit 2 br's off the jump, take the left route, land on the speed pad, hit you auto pilot and you fly straight through, already at a silly speed, and you still hit all the speed pads on the way through.

Im not saying you didnt know any of these! or that you cant do some of these happily without AP, some corners like the last ones on moa therma & metropia the AP takes a hirendous line!! but if used correctly its brilliant. After being hit painfully mid corner, AP brings you back on course and up to speed almost instantly, often before youve even been overtaken.

I can totally understand people not wanting to use it, or believing its cheating, or hate being beatern cos the guy ahead got lucky with an ap every lap, but to say its not necessary is rubbish. Ive been saved from defeat at the last minute many times just because i had an AP to pull me forward incase i get hit.

In your defense (kinda worried it looks like a rant at you ) it isnt exactly "necessary" as such. The games hardly dependant on it, If you took it out, wipeout would be an equally good game.

You've had much better luck with the AP than I have - the handful of times I've activated it it has: flown into the wall (I activatd too late going into the Chengou hairpin), flown past a boost pad, and flown into a stream of mines. I think the autopilot is entirely fair in this version of wipeout (compared to the cheatingly good AP in previous versions), but since it is it's not something I ever want to use.

PSN ID
    reubsy

no coz i noticed that it dosnt always work so well, driving me into walls, and mines etc ad i feel that it slows me down

PSN ID
    xxOBHxx

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    You've had much better luck with the AP than I have - the handful of times I've activated it it has: flown into the wall (I activatd too late going into the Chengou hairpin), flown past a boost pad, and flown into a stream of mines. I think the autopilot is entirely fair in this version of wipeout (compared to the cheatingly good AP in previous versions), but since it is it's not something I ever want to use.
    Some corners the AP really is nothing more than garbage. Others such as the twisty bits on sol2 rev depend entirely on your line and how much before the corner you activate it.

Avoid using it before jumps, instead use it once you land or immediately after the br. The last corner on Anulpha Pass reverse for example flies you off into nowhere if used before the jump, yet works a treat afterwards.

Some things though you just cant avoid, like plowing headfirst into mines like you said

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    mic-dk900

OK, I also now regret my 'Always' vote.

Mainly because, like most here apparantly, I only use it if it comes up right before appropiate corners. Usually I need the energy in absorbing more than a little assist through the twisty bits

PSN ID
    xxOBHxx

I'm honestly amazed so many people say they never use it.

Me personally would never, ever have got rank 1 on chengoue reverse without some well placed auto pilots. Never.

PSN ID
    pildog

I have used it online, several times, but only if I'm approaching a "nasty bit" in the track. When I first played the game I was often using it at the wrong time, so the ship sailed between speed/weapon boosters without touching either!!!

Otherwise I think it should be taken out of the roster in online games.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Sturm_Fury

If it means faster lap times, I'll use it, regardless of who my opponents are, or their apparent lack of skill, luck, or both...on the other hand, when my opponents aren't noobs, I need any advantage I can get, lol.

Timezone
    GMT -5

for me, it usually depends on whether or not there's a particularly nasty turn coming up. i never like losing control of the ship, but if it makes the difference between me getting through a sharp turn intact and me slamming straight into a wall, the choice is clear.