• Sometimes

22 48.89%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DO you use auto pilot online?

Timezone
    GMT + 2
    PSN ID
    Tomeru

Default DO you use the Auto Pilot pickup online? (NOT PILOT ASIST)

I used to use ap whenever I got it, but seeing as there are more less-skilled players online most of the time, I said what the hell, I won't use it. Got my butt kicked a few times for it, but it's ok. Point in case - it's not cheating, it's the same as getting 5 speed boosts in a raw (meaning something you can't control getting or not). But as I as still not at the level of some of the ace pilots here, I thought I'd drop it all together, if only to become better at flying around at some those damn reverse tracks.

Btw, this does have the chance of getting into a different discussion...
    Last edited by H3avyM3tal; 24th November 2008 at 02:18 PM.

PSN ID
    Xtriko, PS3, PSP & Vita

I use sometimes. autopilot is very welcomed on chengou reverse XD lol and like you said, it's not cheating

PSN ID
    Assegai82

Quite often, but it seems that it's a bit more tactical than in previous WipEout games - if you don't use it for the right corner/couple of corners it'll just fly you between speed pads or miss them entirely. The last two corners of Moa Therma forward are perfect AP fare, whereas I never use it on Anulpha Pass as my lines are crisp enough, it's of better use to me as ship energy.

edit: grammar fix
    Last edited by Ally; 23rd November 2008 at 09:24 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Connavar

I would lose precious seconds every lap if I used it, so indeed it's not cheating at all (it's more like anti-cheating, people don't realise how much time they're potentially wasting using it); however it can be useful for tracks I have basically never played like Sol2 reverse on phantom, but switching to AP requires me pushing start and losing many seconds, so I would already lose the race!

Timezone
    GMT + 11
    PSN ID
    djKyoto

Only on Phantom class when it's necessary.

Connavar - It's reguarding the Weapon pickup, not the permanent one thats on all race.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Connavar

Ah lol sorry, damn I shouldn't have said NO then, it's an item like the others, like a Turbo or a Quake, I use it especially when I need to relax, drink something etc Or some hard turns I know the AP does better than me. I thought it was the pilot assist, because he mentionned "cheating" and I know that some people thought it was some sort of cheating.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

I use it sometimes on technical turns. But most often i absorb it or i delete it after a second of use. But i'll NEVER use it again on the long left turn of chengou & on the second chicane of ubermall reverse. Try it several times, you'll understand

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    crawdad62

I think a few of us are confusing Auto Pilot with Pilot Assist. Auto Pilot is a pick-up and I do use it. Pilot Assist is activated through the menu and is on the entire game. I don't use it. I wouldn't classify either as cheating though since their both available in the game.

I would like online however to have rooms set up for PA and non PA though.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I confused the two as well before I voted...DOH!

I use it if I need to,but found it pointless if stuck behind another craft as you will just constantly bang into the rear of that craft.

Pointless using it while on a straight as well.

A good time and place to use it is if you are in a nudging battle on the overpass on Anulpha Pass,not as good as using a Turbo in the same situation [did that the other day,two craft just in front of me nudging each other,blamm straight between them knocking them both off the overpass]

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Yes me too, I got confused.
    My vote doesn't count, I'll use it sometimes online.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    trentdf

Quote Originally Posted by leungbok View Post
    But i'll NEVER use it again on the long left turn of chengou & on the second chicane of ubermall reverse. Try it several times, you'll understand
    haha yeah, also in ubermall forward, dont think if you barrel roll of the ramp towards the same chicane the auto pilot will bring you in.

I'll use it for hairpins and tight chicanes, but turn it off once thats done.

Timezone
    GMT + 2
    PSN ID
    Tomeru

Whenever I use AP, it takes me right through the crafts infront of me. No nudging what-so-ever. Goes through everyone.

PSN ID
    xxOBHxx

tried it once.

never again.

Timezone
    GMT + 2
    PSN ID
    Tomeru

Sigh.

You are probably confusing AP with PA...
    We are talking about auto pilot, not pilot asist.

PSN ID
    xxOBHxx

woops

then too right i do use it!! especially after a dier start. An early auto pilot can bash you up a load of places, and knock the competition flying.

alright, there are times when the auto pilot is unfair, but the racing lines it uses, and the sideways flying cracks me up so often

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    crawdad62

I was actually thinking about this thread last night while I was online. What I found that I did was absorb a lot more AP's than I used. A lot of the time I'd get one when there really wasn't a need to use it and I'd rather be able to pick up something I can use. Also there are time you use it and it picks a line that's so "down the middle" that you don't hit any boost pads. But again if I've got one and it fits the situation I'll use it.

PSN ID
    Amorbis

I'm sorry, but I voted never thinking it was pilot assist! How silly of me. I should have voted sometimes because it is always good to use it on the trickier bends such as the second turn on Chenghou forward and last fiddly bit on Ubermall forward. I've made the mistake that Leungbok did of using pilot assist on Ubermall reverse, it puts you off the track every time and I always forget.

I probably absorb more auto-pilots than I use, you need something to keep the shield up.

Timezone
    GMT + 2
    PSN ID
    Tomeru

But then the question becomes; if sometimes, than when? When it's convenient? Then what happenes to winning with skill, if that ap I just used took me through that chenghou turn and won me the race? It may not be cheating, but it IS cheating in a way that the game allows me to cheat. Hell, the AI on elite cheats, so why shouldn't I?

Timezone
    GMT + 1

I will only use it when I know for sure it will fly better than me. I'd rather make mistakes myself than that the Auto-Pilot will put me in a respawn.

I mostly absorb. I will usually only use auto-pilot if there`s a section where it can provide me with an advantage before the next weapon pad comes up. That weapon pad will quite likely be much more useful. Autopilot can be useful in some situations where you know you`re going to take a hit from some sort of weapon. Autopilot in HD isn`t very powerful, you can almost always fly any section faster if you get it right, you don`t pick up weapons while it`s on, and you can`t autopilot+BR like you could in Pure. It`s a provided pick-up just like a bomb, missile, quake or turbo, and the game is to use these pick-ups to your best advantage. SL have designed the game well so no pick-up is too powerful, and I will use them all. But relying on auto pilot, and saving it for tough sections will not work out well, imo. Sometimes you don`t win with skill, such as when you win with a missile on the last lap against someone who has driven better than you, but this is rare and mostly the fastest guy wins, sadly , and no pick up can do your work for you.