Thread: Extra floaty weirdness when online.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Default Extra floaty weirdness when online.

I've noticed that occasionally,maybe 1 in 50 online tournaments[never ones I host and always when the host is EU based],that at the first few races of a online tournament that has a full grid,that my craft will handle/feel different,an extra floaty type effect.

This is particularly noticeable while on the overpass on Anulpa Pass,it will tend to bounce slightly more than usual,there's no undulations on that part of the track so there is no reason why it should,and this makes the steering seem more sensitive than usual as well.
    It's a subtle effect,but it defiantly occurs,and can be off putting till one adjusts.

These effects tend to disappear after about the 3rd race or when somebody quits the tournament.

It happens about as frequently as the known non working weapon pads phenomenon.

I just wonder if anybody else has had this happen,or it's yet just another problem with the internet due to my distance from EU based racers.[The list grows]

I got something similar last night playing. I was playing with one other guy and it played fine, but three others joined, and then the ship steering had significant lag, to the point where a full turn did nothing, then .5 seconds later I appeared in the wall. I think it has something to do with the others connection speed. It happened again the next race (read swearing and yelling), then I switched controllers, but the other guys left and it raced fine again. I think online STILL plays a little differently than single player under any circumstance though, where the framerate is a little less sometimes the steering isn't exactly right but still close enough. I notice this when switching from TT to online the most, but then it plays fine after a little adjustment. Barrel rolls definitely do not work sometimes still online, but it is not that bad.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Well I'm glad I'm not imagining this.and somebody else has noticed it as well.

It's a really bizarre thing that happens.

I originally thought it might be a difference between controllers.
    I have two,and after noticing this quirk decided to weight each controller on some digital scales.
    Sure enough,the one that came with my original 60g PS3 weight 3 grams more than the extra one I bought on the same day of purchase,why,I have no idea

I could understand 0.50 gram difference due to manufacturing differences.

But 3 grams......SONY please explain,they are both certified SONY PS3 controllers.

The Floaty stuff happened straight off the bat when I could finally join Kanar's online games last night,it took me over 5 attempts to join into the races.
    On SOL 2 it was handling quit a bit different than usual,which was the first race......?????

It also happens sometimes when you are near someone in a race, where your ship won't respond right away due to either lag or framerate(not sure which one) and barrel rolls sometimes won't work then either.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I wasn't quite sure about the barrel rolls not always working online till you just confirmed it.
    That's cost me a few races,especially off the jump on C/Project when nothing happened when I went to B/R.

It seems to happen more if the person is from farther away, like across the ocean. Kaori is from France and it happened when racing him, and it happened with Kanar as well, really bad in one race. I don't remember where he was from

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I'm as far away as you can get ,well except my New Zealand friends,I'm in Australia......any lag it's sure to be felt down this way a bit more often than other places.
    Kanar is in France ...I had this problem on the weekend racing against the EU guys.
    Last edited by blackwiggle; 19th November 2008 at 11:49 AM. Reason: clarification