GMT + 9
    PSN ID
    reach-big7, FEET_Fly-back7

Quote Originally Posted by yeldar2097 View Post
    That is a really interesting setup actually...might give it a try

Shoot/absorb?

Shoot: ×/absorb: 〇 
    try it

haydn has that setup on pulse, i tryed it but i kept going back to normal mid race so i had to change it back

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    AG-Wolf

jeeze, some people don't even USE side-shifts? They're about the only thing that keep me away from the wall half the time... I would be dead without them in HD :/

That being said, I used R1/L1 because I didn't want to wear out my R2/L2 triggers... but I don't even use a PS3 controller anymore; I use a PS1 Dualshock so that every button is digital, regardless of what the options menu says...

The D-Pad on a PS2/PS3 controller has too much play, so doing BRs is difficult unless I'm using the PS1 pad

i didnt know you could plug in the old-school pads

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

@Reach: How and when did you decide to put your controls like that?
    It makes sense but it's still a bit of a weird setup...

I will try it tomorrow

you can use any pad you want to if you got adaptor plug..i think their about 10 euros ps2 to ps3 coverter is their name i think.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    abukii

I had one...for further reference, about 10 dollars, USD.

PSN ID
    xxOBHxx

@Reach
    Awesome! Same set-up i used for pulse nearly. Might have to give it a try
    I used for pulse -
    L - fire
    R - thrust
    Sqare - L Airbrake
    Triangle - R Airbrake
    X - Absorb
    O - Look back

Never really experimented properly with a similar set-up on HD, i guess seeing as the ps3 obviously has more shoulder buttons i felt obliged to make full use of them.

@Saturn
    Wow, Im truely amazed you dont use sideshifts very often. So many corners can be completely negated with a humble shift. Thinking about it, on VK Rev i shift on pretty much every corner.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

I do them more than I realise. It's not like I don't use them. I'm trying out the old WO games and it's obvious I use them subconsciously when they're not available and I'm trying to do them anyway. But I've just never really been good at them and rarely got the desired result. After a lot of TT on a track I get the hang of them a bit more, but I'm sure others use them a lot more and are way better at them than I. I tend to always do them and then steer too much at the same time. I'd prefer to not use them at all and slide the ship around more in a bit of an old-skool way, even though I'm not an old-skool player.

Last night I set airbrakes to 100%. It was horrible. Then I was going to start to turn them down a bit at a time, figuring I'd probably stop at around 30% anyway. But I think they're on 80% now. I might not even have gone down past 90%. It does feel to offer more subtlety in the control, particularly for SS, than the lower settings, even though I'm using L1/R1. So maybe now I can start using SS better. I wish I'd experimented more earlier now.

Deary me Sat, you just can't get anything right can you?

From your vids it looks like you SS quite a lot, just as much as (if not more than) me, if that's anything to go by. Only difference is that you use them in different places/situations.

I agree with you about not using them at all though, feels much more smooth and controlled if you don't SS around a corner. Actually it's more like holding the brake as opposed to tapping it. One example I can think of is the second long lefty on sol2 R: feels really nice to just hold l-airbrake with a bit of nose down but I'm pretty sure it's slower than the whole tap-tap-sideshift-tappy thing.

Defs gonna try Reach's funky setup tonight

30% = win

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

Exactly, and I think the different places I do them are just when I instinctively need them, so I don't even realise. Maybe I just need to think about it a bit more and then I can actually use them more effectively.

ACE-FLO is offline Banned for using a sock account Zone Pilot
    PSN ID
    ACE-FLO // Killer_LoopZ

side shifting is one of the coolest game mechanics, i don't know how i ever managed to play the older W"O games without it now. But let me get this confirmed - setting airbrake sensitivity to 100 will give me a shorter SS, whereas setting airbrakes to 10 will give me longer SS ? or am I totally wrong?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

It's not about absolutes, it's about relative level of control, or precision in control. I think that the 100% setting should give more control over airbrake shenanigans in general. You could have it set to one or the other and actually find no difference if, for example, you just mash that button as hard as you can in exactly the same way no matter what your settings are. I think only some experimentation will really confirm the effect for the individual.

Depends how hard you push the buttons I think: Maximum lateral travel due to sideshifting is the same regardless of your airbrake sensitivity, it's just your input can be slightly different depending on the % sensitivity.

Having said that, I'm not sure if sideshift distances varies according to how hard you push the button or how 'long' you push the buttons for during the sideshift (or a combination of the two). I'll check it out later.
    For the time being: Assuming it is the former, if you have your airbrakes set to 10% you will only be able to do a sideshift that will move you the maximum amount, whereas with 100% you would be able to control this distance.
    If instead it is to do with duration of button pressing antics (like I said at the top of this post) then you will be able to control your sideshift distance to the same degree regardless of your airbrake sensitivity.

Something along those lines I reckon....maybe Ask an expert, I'm just guessing
    Last edited by yeldar2097; 28th November 2009 at 08:40 PM. Reason: casting doubtful shadows

Timezone
    GMT + 9
    PSN ID
    reach-big7, FEET_Fly-back7

@yeldar
    funky setup It is difficult for me to use default setup.I am confused.
    The role of the left hand is only handling. and right hand is another.
    This is best setup for me

@haydn
    Wow! great setup! same nearly

PSN ID
    kgb1971

If you hold the sideshift button in on the second press for a longer time you will sideshift further across the track. Two the same will result in a smaller sideshift. What happens when you change the sensitivity I don't really know, probably just affects how much pressure needed.

Using the Sideshift at phantom doesn't always work for me, it just results in turning the ship twice, I read on here that there was a glitch in the sideshifts but don't remember where.

To be honest I never really understood why you could change the sensitivity, just make them work every time and everyone would be happy.

I'm using 10% for acceleration and 30% for airbreaks, what should it be so they work without fail at Phantom?

Well that's the same as me and I never fail

...I mean sideshifts never fail

No idea kgb, will look into it

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

Quote Originally Posted by KGB1971 View Post
    Using the Sideshift at phantom doesn't always work for me, it just results in turning the ship twice, I read on here that there was a glitch in the sideshifts but don't remember where
    It happens to me sometimes too !
    Sensitivity 10% thrust - 50% airbrakes

thrust sens: 10%
    airbrakes sens: 80%
    pitch: off
    view: far

L1R1 airbrakes

triangle = speed
    O = absorb

L2 = rear view
    R2 = shot

i use the d pad and sometimes the analog stick - i like the feel of the analog stick better but for BR-s is the d pad better. is there any real good player that uses analog or the all pros use d-pad!? to ask is not a sin...

One question:

Why is everyone using X as speed and not the triangle? IT`s easier to absorb a pickup when u hould the triangle and then you just push O - you can do it with just one finger.
    and side shifting.. im learning it but I just dont like side shifting, I like the flow of the game without it... but its important to learn it to. Since I am a newbie, which ship dou you prefer?

I used the standard but now I switched to Goteki45 and I love it. Which ships are similar? Or offer more control?

@saturnreturn

I watched all of your videos and got inspiration for that goteki45 , which settings do you use now? airbrake 80% still?
    Last edited by acintyan; 24th December 2009 at 04:48 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

Aw shucks, I feel like a celebrity. Welcome to the forum. You're my favourite already.

I switched back to Goteki recently as I started playing the game online a bit more. With the Goteki I'm using 70%. I'm definitely preferring the level of control with it set a bit higher, and I'm loving this ship again right now. Fits like a glove.