Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Speed Lap and TT session experiences

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

Default Speed Lap and TT session experiences

I figured since Speed Lap and TT are pretty much solitary events, I'd start a thread where everyone can share his experiences, discuss new lines (or BR spots, blech) found, or just interesting things and events that happened to him/her while honing skills on an otherwise abandoned racetrack.

----------------------

Since I got a day off work today, I decided to sleep in and then take an extended SL session on one of my old favorites, Chenghou. The world record time was only .23 seconds ahead of mine, so I figured I'd go and take Chenghou back. Well, what can I say - all I managed, after nearly 150 laps, was an improvement of .06 seconds (23.41 to 23.35, top time is Arnaud with 23.18 ). It's really frustrating when you actually see over half a second lying right there on the track, and you just can't pick it up. Chenghou has so many technical sections, I just couldn't get one single lap nailing all of them in sequence. I even changed from 3rd person close view (my usual choice) to nosecam for a couple of laps, just to see if that improves anything. It did, funnily make me faster in tight chicanes and fast combinations (like the one right before the finish straight), but it made drifting long, sweeping turns with the Assegai, like I usually do, almost impossible for me - I guess I'll stick with 3rd person close.
    Anyway, I absolutely love Chenghou for Speed Laps, maybe because it's one of the tracks that only allows BRs at the obvious spots (jumps), maybe because I just love the urban setting. This fight is not over - one day I'll stick that perfect run, and my predicted record time will be under 23.00!
    Last edited by eLhabib; 16th October 2008 at 10:27 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

Wow, under 20.00 would be an amazing time, mate ! Because the actual Asa's record is : 0.23.18
    As you i'll give a try on chengou's record (but reverse version for me).

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kanar

I'm experiencing the same thing Elhabib, Leungbok... As I've finished the elite campaign, I'm now trying to learn how the Piranha works -mission: impossible-. I'll catch the other trophies later. As usual, I'm... at work right now f--k. Can't continue my SL struggle on vineta k, started 2 days ago (18.79). I have now a good 80% chance to launch the 2 "regular" BRs each lap, & able to control my racing line with some double-taps (@t mad-ice: I think some double tapping is really needed if you ride a Piranha) but I'm still unstable for the third one right after the tunnel (turbo+BR+floaty fish=flying into the crowd sometimes). I'm sure I can reach 18.40 or less, with some pitch control maybe (I still don't find the good setting: no pitch at all? d-pad pitch, because I play with d-pad, or sixaxis only? Finally, I find HD really difficult I mean, maybe more than pulse. Chenghou will be my new struggle next week. This track is really great you're right guys!

Great topic by the way, I think it's better to share piloting tips than keeping secrets. The "theoric" level playing field will always be fair enough between zone members = more fun! maybe we could merge the metropia phantom speed lap thread here, as alterego tried to sum up things a little!
    Last edited by kanar; 16th October 2008 at 11:53 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

@leungbok: I of course meant 23.00 - not 20.00 - I just remembered the times wrong.

@kanar: respect for flying Piranha, it's just too harsh for me on the technical tracks. It looks, sounds and feels amazing, though!

Or I could start an 'official' tips thread for HD as I did for some other WO versions.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

I guess a Piloting Tips thread would be quite useful, seeing as there are lots of newcomers now with HD...

They'd be a lot more useful if more people posted tips, but I have to admit that very few pilots do. Come to think of it, to some degree, Charlie's [hellfire's] game guides have kinda taken their place, haven't they?

PSN ID
    rushinmonkey

i think the best tip for newbies is to get out of your head the idea that you are racing in a car. Think boat and suddenly you will be driving a lot better

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Could elhabib and others that posted their tips please use spaces between their sentences
    It very hard to read when it comes up as a block of text.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kanar

Lol rushin exactly! Lance, I read the pulse walkthrough by Hellfire, great work! I'm waiting for the next one, with maybe all the br positions.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Amon69it

Quote Originally Posted by eLhabib View Post
    Anyway, I absolutely love Chenghou for Speed Laps, maybe because it's one of the tracks that only allows BRs at the obvious spots (jumps),
    I'm here with you. I'm performing quite well at time trials and single laps there in rapier. Now i'm starting to fiddle with it at phantom too.

But the last chicane is killing me. At rapier i can quite easily do it without side stepping and without airbrakes catching speed zones in turn in and exit.

Another place of the track that i find hard at phantom is the long left corner after the jump. It's much to difficult to keep line and speed there.

Last thing. Best place for turbos ? I've been using it coming out of the left hairpin. But in phantom i'm starting to suspect that using it there is not the best idea..... maybe too much speed in the bumpy left corner ahead ?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Amon69it

Quote Originally Posted by Lance View Post
    They'd be a lot more useful if more people posted tips, but I have to admit that very few pilots do.
    Well, never seen Raikkonen explaining Hamilton the correct line and brake points for Ascari either

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

The best point for turbo on Chenghou is still after the hairpin in phantom, as soon as your nose is pointing in the right direction, hit the turbo!
    And yeah, that long, banked left is hit and miss on Phantom, but you can skip some of it with extended turbo flight (pull up!)

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kanar

Amon : they have about 40 or maybe more years of track records analyzed by super computers in F1... so they know the best racing lines for ages... I mean they have better than hellfire guide (no offense, fantastic job) & youtube videos!
    Last edited by kanar; 16th October 2008 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Amon View Post
    Well, never seen Raikkonen explaining Hamilton the correct line and brake points for Ascari either
    That's because their highly paid jobs depend on it; and it's purely for profit and not at all for fun. Close racing is anathema to the team owners; they want the least competition possible while retaining just enough for there to be fan interest and hence, money to support the series.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Amon69it

Quote Originally Posted by kanar View Post
    Amon : they have about 20 or maybe 30 years of track records analyzed by super computers in F1... so they know the best racing lines for ages... I mean they have better than hellfire guide (no offense, fantastic job) & youtube videos!
    I know that mate. long time F1 fan here ( lets' say from Jody Scheckter in Ferrari )

It was just an example to describe the situation
    Last edited by Amon; 16th October 2008 at 01:53 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Amon69it

Quote Originally Posted by Lance View Post
    That's because their highly paid jobs depend on it; and it's purely for profit and not at all for fun. Close racing is anathema to the team owners; they want the least competition possible while retaing just enough for there to be fan interest and hence, money to support the series.
    Mhhh don't think so. Here is my past experiences. I've been simracing on the PC from the start till 2 years ago.

We used to ran championships, with teams, regulations and so on. We've tried to simulate as close as it can to get the real experience of racing. On track and off the track as much as we could. Of course we where racing for "glory", no money involved.

Well, i've been part of racing teams, and i've run one for 3 years. We developed setups together, race strategies together, we had audio comunication while racing and so on.

And in all of these years, i've never seen one of my pilots give setups or hints to an opponent. And i've never done it. And i've never received any info from an opponent.

Consider that our team and the others where formed by people who where friends each other, we used to meet in person often

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kanar

yes, right. I experienced that with pulse, I had to search a lot to find what I wanted -piloting tips-. I think after the jay speed mod episode we need to regroup & share lol
    Last edited by kanar; 16th October 2008 at 02:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Amon View Post
    I know that mate. long time F1 fan here ( lets' say from Jody Scheckter in Ferrari )
    ~snip~
    I've been a fan since Stirling Moss was driving Lotus for Rob Walker's private team.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

I think sharing piloting strategies is one of the things that makes this community cooler than others. Of course there is rivalry, but not in any way like Amon described it. And if you don't want to, you don't have to give away your little secret as to why you have a record on a certain track, but if you want to, you can. You can even share your ghost and show everyone exactly how you did it. Doesn't mean they can replicate it

But apart from the real elite knacks and perfect racing lines, I think Lance was more referring to general tips and tricks, which help newcomers enjoy the game at a competitive level. Heck, some people don't know how to use sideshift effectively, some don't even know it exists! Just to give you an example.

Btw, I would happily create a little track guide for every track, together with Charlie (because he has experience with making guides by now ) and some of the top pilots here.