Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weapons Hit

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    crawdad62

Default Weapons Hit

I must be doing something wrong. I'm not the best pilot but there must be something I'm missing. I've not really noticed it too much until today. I was in a 12 race tournament and it seemed like when I got hit with something or run into something I'd grind to a halt. Almost stopped. When the other racers got hit they'd wobble a bit and keep moving. What's the deal?

It was extremely frustrating. I'd be leading a race and boom all off a sudden I'd be in last place just because I got a missile up my exhaust. I'd be slammed into a wall every time. When I starting working my way back up the race I'd pound someone ahead of me and they'd slightly slow, wobble a bit and go about their race. Very disheartening. That and the guy in the Qirex that banged into me the whole time :-)

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

Judging from your avatar I guess you are using Harimau? That's a very light ship, and it gets affected by weapons fire way more than a Triakis or Qirex, for example.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    darkfaerytales

are you sure? really? so the ship response to weapon attacks are different one to another in base at the supposed weight? as weel as take more damage the so called "light ships" or the ones with weaker shields, are much susceptible to hits and come toss around more than ship like triakis or piranha?

PSN ID
    chboing

of course ! try to bump into others with your icaras, and then with your triakis, and you should see the difference

PSN ID
    Amorbis

As an Icaras pilot, I get exactly the same situation when I get hit with a weapon or bumped into, especcially when I get hit by a quake or fly into a bomb. I'm guessing it is to do with the ship's shield, and as eLhabib said lighter ships such as Icaras and Harimau get knocked around easier. For the small amount of time I used Piranha I didn't notice this as much, so I'm guessing that shield means more than just how long the ship survives for.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    crawdad62

I am indeed a Harimau pilot!

If that's the case I'll just have to take my lumps. It just seems overly brutal though.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Rubix42

If you let go of the thrust and fire it back up after an impact, it helps keep you going as well, I think.

I do that and it seems to be a bit better on keeping your speed after a heavy impact, but it could be phsycilogical. (sp?)

psycho

logical, that is.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    darkfaerytales

ok then i've a question
    since you state that the shield stats is directly proportional to the mass/weight of the ship

if you put side by side an icaras and an assegai how can you say that assegai is an heavier ship than icaras, the assegai is so open and with tin hulls, practically the only compact part is the cockpit-engine/exhaust-airvents-airbrakers and the flat tiny hulls seems attached by such small and fragile bridges...icaras instead is all a single block...

then assegai should have a 5 of shield not a 7...

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    crawdad62

Well to me it seems the different ships nuances are just that nuances. In my unskilled hands there's really very little difference between the ships. Sure one may have more speed or such than another but more or less they're pretty balanced.

Rubix I'll give that a shot. I'm always on the throttle the whole race.

Maybe it`s related to the dreaded Pilot Assist. Perhaps that stops you flying into the side after weapon hits, and therefore helps PA users keep going. It seems to give people a big advantage in ramming encounters too. Any Pilot Assist users around here who can offer an opinion on this?

*tumbleweed*

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    drenath

You still drift into the wall with PA on

PSN ID
    AVENGER2197

I've had better luck with the method Rubix described. Mashing down the accelerator after large impacts, or many small ones tends to work the best regardless of the ship used. Although lighter ships have a hard time starting back up so it may require a couple of presses to get going again. I know FEISAR has some trouble in that department.

Useful information, thanks, I will try this mashing technique next time I play.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

I wouldn't know, I ride Goteki which has 100% thrust.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    Stardragon88

A little tip for when you get hit by weapons fire. If you know a missile or quake impact is going to push you in one direction, as fast as possible try to sideshift in the opposite direction.

It seems to help you regain your acceleration a little quicker, and it makes all the difference between staying more or less in the center of the track, or striking the wall and grinding to a halt.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

I second you Stardragon88 this is a good tip especially when you been hit by a quake while you are racing through an open section.

Funnily enough i did changed my Assegai / Mirage online ship by Icaras, i noticed that difference of inertia when you hit by a weapon but Icaras simply rocks even on hardest tracks.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    darkfaerytales

i have to say that the different reaction to weapons of diverse ships and the real existence of a difference of mass/weight between the various ship is a BIG GREAT URBAN MYTH

i use all the ships, i've race many many times with all ships, i have to a min of about 11000 to a max of about 20000 loyalty points for every team

since i've been always doubt to the real existence to any mass factor who can bear on the reaction to weapons, collision beetwen ships and driving performance, yesterday afternoon i have do some various " test " which are the following

i've choose-anulpha pass, quite simple track with many straight parts. two players modes-single race-venom class - i have choose the 2 assumed extremes: player 1 Triakis ,player 2 Icaras
    alone, i've past some hours test out various things, these are the facts:

-put triakis at the center of track , then charching at full speed with icaras hitting it against the rear, triakis did slip away like a bar soap, i've try it various times
    -same thing but charging against the front, same reaction
    -same thing,inverting the ships, triakis charge icaras, same reaction,i don't have noticed any difference
    -put and left the ships sideways on the track awaiting for the AI racers, causing various front (AI) vs side (me) collision , a goteki, then after an ag sys then a mirage wasn't able to push away my icaras and cannot be able anymore to pass over me...various times, i've noticed when a ship hit with front a perfectly set up 90° corner ship by side , it cannot be abble to surpass the latter
    -then various with weapons , picking up a missile the shoot against triakis , when hit trakis divert and/or slam agaisnt wall, various times...

-pick up a plasma, shot it full hit directly up the rear-shields at full 100%(HD HUD) , triakis lose 41% ( 59% left ) , icaras lose 47% ( 53% left ) , i've try it with other various ship, if you will be interested i will tell you what for others...

conclusion,then, it can be few things

-or different mass/weights do exist between ships and triakis and icaras weight the same...
    -or my game have something wrong, and i've download a flawed copy...
    -or i have miss out something...
    -or i've do something wrong, or maybe mistake everything...

if someone can comment and explain to me

try yourself!

i'm talking only regarding HD obviously

i know the existence of discussion about this kind of things,
    this thread is what did turn curiosity on me

http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/sho...t=fusion+stats

Timezone
    GMT + 2
    PSN ID
    Tomeru

Did someone try braking just before getting hit by a quake or a missile with both brakes, and than mash the accelerator? I need to try this myslef when I get home... I never did try the method Rubix suggested, but will try it.

PSN ID
    Matthew197

Quote Originally Posted by crawdad62 View Post
    I must be doing something wrong. I'm not the best pilot but there must be something I'm missing. I've not really noticed it too much until today. I was in a 12 race tournament and it seemed like when I got hit with something or run into something I'd grind to a halt. Almost stopped. When the other racers got hit they'd wobble a bit and keep moving. What's the deal?

It was extremely frustrating. I'd be leading a race and boom all off a sudden I'd be in last place just because I got a missile up my exhaust. I'd be slammed into a wall every time. When I starting working my way back up the race I'd pound someone ahead of me and they'd slightly slow, wobble a bit and go about their race. Very disheartening. That and the guy in the Qirex that banged into me the whole time :-)
    I totally agree with you. What bothers me in HD is the weight of weapons in single races. In 2097 (which is, imo still the best WipEout) you have to drive really good to get gold at every track. But being hurt by a rocket or a mine doesn't throw you from the first to the last place and doesn't necessarily make it impossible to win the race if you make nearly perfect laps. In HD it does (btw I am mostly driving Assegai and changing the teams doesn't make a great difference for me)
    Beside this, I have the feeling that getting the right items makes you rather win a race then performing a perfect lap. In consequence the single races are a little bit too luck dependent and you have to give a lot of tries even to win a stupid Flash race.

Nevertheless WO HD is still a great game for me but I fear they will never beat 2097.