Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2097 PC on Vista

Timezone
    GMT -6

Default 2097 PC on Vista

Will Wipeout 2097 PC work on Vista? I'm trying to get my friend into Wipeout by giving this to him for his birthday. Only problem is I don't know if it works on vista.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Oh boy... I would try using the compatibility modes but I hope you don't expect it to run out of the box after the install. I seriously doubt that, because we are talking about Vista after all... Even though it's quite a good OS (I've got used to it and like it thus far, except for the UAC which I've disabled), it's got some compatibility problems still. Nothing major, but I wouldn't expect games like 2k97 to work flawlessly. But I haven't tried (Can't say I could, don't have the game).

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    BulletWraith

Talking

well I bought 2097 for the PC a couple months ago and I can't get it running in Vista(which is great after a makeover) no matter what I change in the compatibility options
    whats weird though is I downloaded a demo of 2097/XL from the internet early this year and it works on Vista, go figure

I'm going to download Linux mint or Open BSD and get it running in wine, I think that's the only option, well either that or tracking down a copy of windows 95

if you manage to get it running in Vista please report back

churr
    zershen

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Well if he's got a 64 bit Vista it most definitely will not work. Tried the demo of 2097 I downloaded of CNET (After a quick Google of it) and it doesn't work.
    zer0shen, do you have Vista 32 bits? If you have 64 bits, I'm interested to know your configuration, because Compatibility mode did not work (Said I needed to find the 64 bit application and use it instead of the 32 bit). I have Windows Vista Home Premium 64b.

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    BulletWraith

Talking

sorry Darkdrium I've got 32bit (home basic) and it runs fine, when I have time to get my head around installing a linux distro I'll tell you how it goes getting the CD rom going

churr
    -zer0shen

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Ah I see, well there goes the dream of 2097 on the laptop
    Any chance SL will make a 64bits version?
    Ok, I know the way out...

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    KIGO1987

Quote Originally Posted by Darkdrium777 View Post
    Vista after all... Even though it's quite a good OS.
    Sorry, agree to disagree there.

The program you have choosen has become non responsive........ ahhhh goddam cnt, did it again!

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Cool 2097 on pc

On my Vista, the system crashes and needs to be rebooted in order to work again. The graphics looked fine, the first time I tried it. But it worked fine only once. Probably something with the direct x.

If you find out how to fix the bug, let us know.
    Are there more w.o games that can be played on pc, I would love to know.

Keep on floatin'

Marcel

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

I recently found out about DOSBox. Maybe this can help in running WipEout 2097 in Vista? And there are graphical shells out there too so you don't have to type in commands, just double click on the icon and the game supposedly launches. ''Supposedly'' because I am totally useless in this domain and have no idea how to configure DOSBox and the shell to work correctly with the WipEout 2097 installer or launcher. Not mentioning the fact that I can't type the character \ in DOSBox (Laptop keyboard isn't properly recognized), which is vital for commands. :s
    Anyone can help? I'll try to figure out some things on my own, but not right now I do not have the time

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    BulletWraith

I was under the impression that Dos box didn't work with win95 games, couldn't see 2097/xl on the supported titles list, just wipEout, though I'll have a proper look when I have the time

thanks for new hope

-zershen

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

i tried several versions and if you hit the first link after searching for 'wipeout 2097' download, then click 'where to download etc...' (bottom right), and click the second link, i find that one works without any modifications. it runs antisocially fast so if anyone knows how to slow it down that'd be much appreciated

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    radiumx

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

The version you mention yeldar doesn't work here (Vista x64 Home Premium). Something about a missing file in the Hi-Res folder.

yeah there's a thread explaining how to rectify that. hope it works for you too!
    here you go: http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/sho...?t=1963&page=2
    easy money

edit: thanks a lot insertcoin! that's the second time you've saved my life in some way
    Last edited by yeldar2097; 14th January 2009 at 07:13 PM. Reason: manners, let's not forget those

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Still does not work. Black screen after clicking play, I've got to Ctrl+Alt+Del to exit out.

• Got the version of yeldar.
    • Copied and pasted data from network patch into wipeoutxl directory of the downloaded version.
    • Copied and pasted data of speed patch into wipeoutxl directory of the downloaded version.

EDIT: renamed to 'wobble' and put in C:\ and it works. Thanks
    Last edited by Darkdrium777; 14th January 2009 at 11:58 PM.

just used the slowdown patch and it's still running at about 2x speed. is there some sort of super-slowmo version? if not i'll just have to pretend i'm in zone mode.

glad to have you indulging in a bit of nostalgia at last darkdrium. it's worth it.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Hmm, don't know man. It wasn't working for me and now it works xD

Again, the step by step:

• Download the version of yeldar: search for 'Wipeout 2097 download' on Google, the first link is the right one (Squakenet), click 'Where to download' and the second link. (No direct link, unless Rob is OK with that, which I doubt)
    • Download the network patch and extract it. Copy the contents of the 295~24101 folder to the wipeoutxl folder of the game. When asked about duplicate files, overwrite with the new file(s).
    • Download the speed patch and extract it. Copy the contents of the woxl_patch folder inside the 1421~44169 folder to the wipeoutxl folder of the game. When asked about duplicate files, overwrite with the new file(s).
    • Rename the wipeoutxl folder of the game to wobble, and move it to C:\
    • Launch the executable. You can make a shortcut somewhere else.
    • Go into the options, set the weapons to on, the default view and the default tag for records.
    • Have fun!

Note: you can replace the default icon with one of the following, or search for your own. Vista supports higher resolution icons than the one the game comes with, so you can put a better looking one than the default. Or just keep the one of the game, it's of a better resolution than I thought...

http://iconfactory.com/freeware/preview/2097

EDIT: It's true, it works faster still. Hmmm... >.< Maybe not 2x but faster. But hey, it works at least
    Last edited by Darkdrium777; 15th January 2009 at 06:48 PM.

it's certainly playable, i'll give you that. but the dark bits in odessa are killing me. asayyeah's phantom vids on youtube are slower than my rapier by quite a long way. maybe some performance enhancing drugs are in order...
    gotta love the wall scratching in 2097, makes a change from the deadly walls of HD

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Yeah. I'm playing this **** with keyboard, imagine that!!!
    That last U-turn on Odessa is just wrong at that speed. lol

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    radiumx

If you have a playstation version of the games, you may be better off using a PSX emulator