Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Assegai HD's reputation?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Quote Originally Posted by _glitch_ View Post
    Or maybe I'm just a bad pilot?
    I wouldn't say bad, but it is possible to do the O7 turns even with a Piranha, so it's just practice. If you keep on practising with Goteki or Triakis, you'll nail these turns eventually They can all do it, just not exactly the same way.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    BentoBako

Sexy people use the Yellow Pimpmobile, G45. Trufax.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

For one moment I thought I had double posted :O
    Woow, another one from Montreal, and in G45 no less!
    I think that's three people from Mtl registered here, we've got to get something going someday
    Welcome to WipeoutZone BentoBako (Ou bienvenue si tu parles français)

Quote Originally Posted by darkfaerytales View Post
    it's something strange to explain but i feel better whe i race with ship like auricom or piranha sometimes , when i use feisar for exemple i do much mistake in turns than when i race less friendly handling ship, it was more or less the same in wo3 , i like to call it " assegai syndrome " when a ship has too much handling and sensibility and tend to "overturn" when you do a turn or a corner

don't know if i've explain myself well
    I'm the same - I was using Assegai all the time time at first, but I've gone off it because it feels a bit too lightweight, it flicks around too much. In online games I've been using Qirex more and more these days as it's got a meatier feel to it, also in the inevitable first-lap scrum it can hold it's own against everything except Triakis, plus it looks v.cool in the second skin.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    BentoBako

Quote Originally Posted by Darkdrium777 View Post
    For one moment I thought I had double posted :O
    Woow, another one from Montreal, and in G45 no less!
    I think that's three people from Mtl registered here, we've got to get something going someday
    Welcome to WipeoutZone BentoBako (Ou bienvenue si tu parles français)
    Lol thanks

(et ouais je parle français ;D)

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    darkfaerytales

Quote Originally Posted by _glitch_ View Post

What I can't understand is all these people flying EG-X. Is there something special about it? It seems rather mediocre to me - it isn't super fast, doesn't have super good handling, and doesn't accellerate exceptionally well.

_glitch_

eg-x is a strange beast, i swear sometimes i feel it more heavy and whimy than piranha or triakis
    don't know if it's just me...

I made this after I got the game: Analysis of teams.
    If we imagine that the teams are put together by spending points on the 4 traits (Thrust, Handling, Shields and Speed), it seems that the first three are all worth the same amount, while Speed costs more (and from playing around it looks like a cost 1.66 times more is the sweet spot).

This shows is how many points each team is worth under various conditions. The main columns being Speed-Weighted Total (which is the total point cost of the team assuming speed costs more), Speed Weighted No Shields (which disregards shield costs - applicable for Time Trial or Speed Lap) and Joint Band, which is a sort of average of those two. I've left the main table sorted by Speed Weighted No Shields, which is the category I'd use to judge by. Not entirely accurate to do so, of course; shields should probably be treated as a threshold value: based on whether you've got enough shields to finish the race or not, but I think that is too fuzzy to base stats off; I'm sticking to the numbers here I don't have enough experience racing online to see whether Icaras would dominate (my hunch was that it would, but from comments here it doesn't seem to yet.)

Anyway, have a look and make your own conclusions, but personally I think Assegai is definitely a very strong team. Not sure that that's why so many people pick it - I think it's more likely that new players choose it since it's stats look the best in the starting lineup (it basically looks like a fast version of AG-Systems). I picked Assegai because the ship look the coolest :/

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

So by these calculations Goteki is a poor team?
    I'm sorry, but I and those that have been behind me during races can beg to differ

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

Personally, I don't think stats mean anything here. It's all down to each pilot's way of flying, personal preference. And that's really the way it should be - a perfect balance. I don't know yet if SL really pulled it off with HD (and I don't think Feisar can really be competitive in TT, but I might be wrong here), but it seems pretty damn close. Keeps the records from being dominated by one ship, and also gives everyone the chance to be flying their personal favorite ship and still be competitive.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Yes I also agree the balance is really well done, I have yet to find a ship that is blatantly overpowered or underpowered in both Pulse and HD.

Yeah, for example, I LOVE how Goteki rips through the corners, and giving AG Systems top-props seems a bit cheap. They all seem pretty good, and if any ship was too good, I'd say it'd either be Icaras or Pirahna. I mean, with a bit of skill, you'd be a force to reckon with, right?

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    trentdf

i don't think much judgement can be placed on the stats alone. If the numbers actually meant something, harimau would be pretty redundant as assegai has the same stats +1 speed. I think a ships traits are determined by a combination, i know i can turn a triakis better than an eg-x, and i think that has something to do with the acceleration. A triakis will maintain/slow down more in a corner, while an eg-x or goteki will keep trying to accelarate, and then push you wider, which makes it feel stiffer. But if its just a slight turn the eg-x will feel lighter. It all comes down to the ship you get used to, because you learn its traits regardless of what the stats tell you. Even tough triakis has one of the ****test handlings, i don't notice it unless in phantom, and i'm sure if i practiced more i would think it was as nimble as a feisar
    Last edited by trentdf; 30th October 2008 at 01:40 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

You're right, Triakis is actually quite forgiving in HD, due to - like you said - losing speed instantly when initiating a turn, hence making the turn easier. Piranha is the real brick this time around.
    One thing that really makes a big difference to me in HD for the first time, is the width of the ships. For example, I really like the acceleration and turning behaviour of Goteki and Mirage, but I can't seem to get comfortable with them because they just seem so wide to me. I just can't fit them through spots I would navigate easily with my Assegai. I wonder if this was on purpose by the devs...

Qirex in HD seems very long and fat, and it seems more of a squeeze to get it through places like the last left/right of Sol2. But I remember someone from SL saying all ships in Pulse actually had the same size "hitbox", despite appearances suggesting otherwise.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

You sure about that? because it sure doesn't feel like it!

Not sure at all, at least with HD. I was surprised when I read that about Pulse. I tried a search for the post but didn`t find it. I agree it doesn`t feel like it.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Rubix42

Racing using the internal cam makes me believe this. The screen size is always the same, and no matter what ship it is, you hit the wall at the same point.

I'm betting in external view, it's just that you want to believe what your eyes are telling you.

PSN ID
    Amorbis

Quote Originally Posted by DeaFen0 View Post
    They all seem pretty good, and if any ship was too good, I'd say it'd either be Icaras or Pirahna.
    Whilst Icaras is super fast you do have to absorb almost every item to survive, especcially in a Phantom race. I suppose it all depends on how many times you hit the wall in a race and how many barrel rolls you do. Icaras is only 'too good' if you use it well. You could say the same for any ship really.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    borell

Quote Originally Posted by lunar View Post
    Not sure at all, at least with HD. I was surprised when I read that about Pulse. I tried a search for the post but didn`t find it.
    I guess you were looking for this comment by Egg concerning Pulse:

Quote Originally Posted by Egg View Post
    This will probably shatter a few illusions, but all the craft fit into exactly the same box. It speeds up the collision calculations, I think, and it's one less thing to worry about when balancing all the ships.
    Last edited by borell; 30th October 2008 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Refining the quotes.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    trentdf

i think all the ships are the same width, it's just the camera angle. On the smaller ships it seems to sit further back, while on the bigger ships it's right on top.
    Last edited by trentdf; 31st October 2008 at 09:40 AM.