Page 38 of 39 FirstFirst ... 28343536373839 LastLast

Thread: When the first download content will be released?

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

The problem with 200Hz TV's is that it is using interpolation to add frames [sort of upscaling].
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interpolation

These things have problems,mainly because you can't really add information if it was never there,which 200Hz & 100Hz screens try to do.
    It helps reduce judder,but is dependent on the source material on how successful it appears,rapidly moving objects and fine detail can still cause these systems problems & fine detail to be masked.

Never having seen RealD shown on one of these 200Hz screens but having an educated guess,I would think that since the 3D system uses quickly flashing alternating images spaced apart [binocular disparity for the tech minded],the 200Hz processing would confuse the 3D image,making it blurry when that 3D imaged moved about the screen.
    Where's standard 50Hz or 60Hz native refresh rate would keep this edge blurring to a minimum.

I could be wrong,but I don't think I am.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ProblemSolver

@blackwiggle: Nope, they don't try to gain any additional information
    from interpolation. The inter-frame interpolation really helps to reduce
    judder on low frame-rate signale, ghosting (via black frame insertion),
    and so on.

However, we can turn off all these (200Hz) features while gaming.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Spece2goin

i was just saying that if 200Hz does exist, that means they can provide fast screens
    with 3D there are 2 times more images to display, so that kind of screen can do.
    if a screen can display 200Hz (with interpolation or whatever), then 120Hz is possible, so 2 times 60Hz, the awesome freshrate of our favorite game!

however, that means the game will have to compute 2 times more images, and i don't know if the PS3 really can.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ProblemSolver

@Spece2goin:
    Yeah right. But it isn't said that each 200Hz display is able to output a
    given specific refresh rate, for example 120Hz. There are TFT panels that
    can output 60Hz as well as 75Hz but can't 69Hz or 72Hz.

Quote Originally Posted by Spece2goin View Post
    ... however, that means the game will have to compute 2 times more images, and i don't know if the PS3 really can.
    Well, it depends. If WipEout HD has efficienlty taped out the performance
    of the PS3, which I don't assume, then we will only get the 3d effect at a
    lower display resolution as well as geometric resolution, because the
    bandwidth of the system would already be fully saturated. I think that the
    Cell processor isn't the problem here, but I guess that the RSX is bounded
    on rasterizing a frame "fast enough", meaning, you have the data ready
    for the left eye / frame but the RSX might not be able to rasterize the
    given data at 1080p in about 1/120s ~= 8ms for the given shaders
    currently applied.

I have to admit that I know nothing about the RSX, but the
    dynamic-frame-buffer technique used for WipEout HD indicates that
    the RSX might be the problem. Anyways, I'm sure SL can do it.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Problem with the RSX is that it's basically an nVidia 7900, modified of course but it's still part of that generation. We've seen some truly spectacular games come out, like Killzone 2, but a lot of this wouldn't be possible without the Cell which can also be used to render graphics through the SPUs (Which is why I talk about Killzone 2). Because of this duality in the graphics rendering I doubt we can push the system more up to the 3D department We are going to see good looking games again, like God of War 3, but at one point code optimization becomes nigh impossible to do, and it will stop there before we reach 3D as we are already using a lot of the system's capabilities.
    It might come for PS4 though, and if Sony does it right it will have backwards compatibility at no additional manufacturing cost, and will feature 3D "upscale" of PS3 games

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Schumi_77

counting on the backward compatibility ... well i hope it will not be like they did with the PS3 which was removed just a few month after the launch in europe -__-

Sony was making a good move when implementing that compatibility with the PS2, but (for cost reason i think) not with the current generation.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

Quote Originally Posted by ProblemSolver View Post
    Well, it depends. If WipEout HD has efficienlty taped out the performance of the PS3, ......words.....but the RSX might not be able to rasterize the given data at 1080p in about 1/120s ~= 8ms for the given shaders
    currently applied....
    I have to admit that I know nothing about the RSX, but the dynamic-frame-buffer technique used for WipEout HD indicates that the RSX might be the problem. Anyways, I'm sure SL can do it.
    Woah! Jargon Attack! . I think I understood this though, so I'm rather proud of myself Also, "rasterize" has got to be the most fun sounding technical word I ever heard.

PSN ID
    AnErare, AnE

What do you think of "bogomips"? ;P It's a term used in the Linux world for referencing CPU speed at system initialization I think.

I am pretty high on anticipation right now as E3 is closing in really fast!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

It's not as good as rasterize because it doesn't have any other meaning for me. Whereas rasterize could be interpreted as something completely different

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Ideally you could set your LCD TV's screen to any multiple of the incoming signal like you can with your graphic cards software or Powerstrip.

But I can't see manufactures putting that feature on a TV set,as most people can't even set up a TV properly,they tend to whack all the video controls to around the 75% mark and wonder why they have a crappy picture.

I have two friends that both bought SONY Bravia set's at the same time, both only having a very basic understanding of video settings and controls,both had asked me to come around to set the sets up.
    The first was playing his PS3 on it when I went around and was saying how much better it looked on the new set.
    I took one look at and realized he hadn't changed the output settings on the PS3 so it was still in SD,he though it was HD

The picture was still crap,he had every video processing control turned on and others set at 75%,video artifacts everywhere.

About 30 minutes "Undoing" his setup and another 30 spent with a test DVD and writing down what each setting should be next the each controls description in his TV's manual [so he couldn't stuff it up again], all was looking very nice indeed

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Even if it's 480i on an LCD TV it's still miles better looking than on a CRT. I can't watch CRT SDTV ever again. It sucks.

Anyways, I hope Gamespot does the live stream again, I'll be watching it then for WipEout HD related stuff.

Timezone
    GMT -5

You must have had a bad CRT - as they're better than LCDs over a range of resolutions - LCDs have native res that looks crisp, and that's it. Most tubes could handle a wide range of resolutions - with all of them looking crisp and defined.

Must be talking about a 10 year old CRT vs a new LCD.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Well a Canada uses NTSC 60Hz [486 lines] like the USA which will always look inferior to PAL [525 lines], even though PAL is only at 50Hz.

The big difference between CRT and LCD/Plasma displays is the black level,and the ability to show a wider spectrum within that black level.

CRT are still superior in that regard,but LCD/Plasma's are catching up.

The other difference is the way the sets refresh,CRT top to bottom,LCD/Plasma's right to left ,which is why you get judder/motion artifacts.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    LOUDandPROUD

Quote Originally Posted by SaturnReturn View Post
    It's not as good as rasterize because it doesn't have any other meaning for me. Whereas rasterize could be interpreted as something completely different
    Exactly. Like, if I was having a party and I wanted to go with a Reggae theme, then Ziggy Marley could totally rasterize my house for me.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Nope, it's new CRT TVs or old, whatever. I can't stand the flickering, it burns the eyes, especially for text. For movies it's still ok, but I'll never watch the news on a CRT ever again. And play games.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Finally!!!
    I hope this is official.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/...-pack-details/

More trophies, more tracks, more modes, yes!

PSN ID
    AnErare, AnE

Also check http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6253

Paul Tweedle, one of WipEout's creators started a thread to inform us.

PSN ID
    FatScarf

this thread was started back in oct 08, can it be finally laid to rest now?

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    KIGO1987

Quote Originally Posted by darkfaerytales View Post
    well, near a month has passed from the day of release, all us got very good fun times with our beloved game, but now most of us should had already unlocked everything and finished the game, so i think its time for something new to add 'cause after all this time it feel really the lack of something more

not that i'm tired of all the good tracks and stuff but really this already near perfect game need to something new and fresh to buff up , some stuff really startin' to get old
    who think the same as me?

so i wonder when will be announced some dlc content,
    personally i hope to see something before xmas ( and i hope something very generous )

p.s. eventually excuse me for my poor english

K darkfaerytales, you got your answer now

PSN ID
    Nunalho

I can only hope the pack is released in the next weeks.