Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Speed Lap and TT session experiences

@ Kanar - totally agreed.

great idea above, eL. This thread could be used as the pool for our knowledge then maybe a couple of guys such as you and Charlie could act as editors for what gets into the "definitive" guide. As Kanar says, it can be tough to find tips and if it could be organised in this way it would be a huge benefit.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Amon69it

Quote Originally Posted by Lance View Post
    I've been a fan since Stirling Moss was driving Lotus for Rob Walker's private team.
    Wtf i'm a feeling you're a little older than me mate

My mother knew him many times ago, when F1 and the races in general where much a different business. She was at Monza with a friend of her ( old cool chap who used to test drive Fiat Abarth cars on racetrack for a living ). It was a test for an endurance race and Moss was there testing too.

Too cool

Quote Originally Posted by eLhabib View Post
    Of course there is rivalry, but not in any way like Amon described it.
    Of course, the situation here is different. Just wanted to show an experience where you can be friend ( real friend ) with someone while keeping secrets, with no problem at all for both
    Last edited by Amon; 16th October 2008 at 03:21 PM.

PSN ID
    Hellfire_WZ

Btw, I would happily create a little track guide for every track, together with Charlie (because he has experience with making guides by now ) and some of the top pilots here.
    That would be ideal, as the track guides are by far the most time consuming part of the whole thing. Once we've got them all down, I can stick them in a proper guide format.

I do have a skeleton for an HD guide that I made ages ago in anticipation, maybe I could bring it up to date

OT

Quote Originally Posted by Amon View Post
    Wtf i'm a feeling you're a little older than me mate
    A little.

Quote Originally Posted by Amon View Post
    My mother knew him many times ago, when F1 and the races in general where much a different business. She was at Monza with a friend of her ( old cool chap who used to test drive Fiat Abarth cars on racetrack for a living ). It was a test for an endurance race and Moss was there testing too.)
    I liked F1 a lot better then. They still had pretty much no adverts on the cars and painted them in the racing colour of the country the manufacturer's team was from, with perhaps some slight variations in a colour band at the nose of the car, as for instance, England, with those for Lotus, BRM, Vanwall, etc., all with the body painted British Racing Green, or at least something close to it.

And best of all, Bernie Ecclestone wasn't running the show.

And Stirling Moss was my hero in my naive younger days. Along with Frank Lloyd Wright.

end OT

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

Charlie, let's do it, then! I'll start writing some track guides over the weekend if I find the time, maybe you and some other pilots can do that as well. You'll have the pleasure of combining them into one
    If there's anything else to consider, please drop me a note.
    Also, I would very much like to include this to my ghosting site, once it's finished!

Grr, just done Metropia Rapier sl with 23.08 - 0.01 seconds behind AHH-QUADZZILLA's #1 time. -.-

Got #1 on Ubermall rapier though, which will probably be beaten shortly anyway.
    Last edited by Insanor; 16th October 2008 at 11:56 PM.

PSN ID
    chboing

yeah this AHH-QUADZZILLA is pretty much everywhere in SL or TT, and sometimes with incredible times, as on sebenco if i remember well, where the second fastest time is like 4 seconds behind ....

i have to practise hard to get to your level guys, will be happy to read more about side shiffting wich i doesnt really use yet. This guide looks promising

btw, i wonder why times arent more accurate, like millisecond, as in F1 ... would make sense wouldnt it ?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

Well, do you see any entries on the record tables with exactly the same time? I don't find many. Having miliseconds would only make sense if there were a lot of times that are equal down to .xx seconds.

PSN ID
    chboing

eh that's because you rock

if you look a bit more down in the ladder, there are a lot !

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

didn't know, sorry! The air is a lot thicker down there, yes

Is being one thousandth of a second quicker than somebody else really a noticeable achievement. If we were just running [yes, without a vehicle, on our own feet! ][ghastly thought, I know. ] against somebody else with no instrumentation and no artificial track, would anybody even be able to tell? Would there be any advantage to it?

------------------------------------

This bit of philosophy brought to you by.. uh... uh........ Lance's neverending curiosity!

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Rubix42

Well, in this years Olympics, an insanely small fraction of time was the difference between 8 gold medals and 7 gold medals with a silver for Michael Phelps. I would say it's a pretty solid achievement. Faster is faster in my mind.

I love the Olympics, but my reply is still this:
    Maybe, maybe not. We clearly have a different mindset. The conditions were so artificial and the only thing that could tell who won was a computer sensor on the touchpad. We humans could not see it. Only in this fantasy world of the electronic Olympics could it possibly have mattered. And it's all about ego and money from advertising deals instead of creating any improvements for human life or saving ourselves by stopping the destruction of the habitat we need to live. So his achievement, while remarkable from the viewpoint of concentrated dedication and consistency of performance, is really quite insignificant.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

Those 2 threads with tips and this one to talk about the lines or records are really perfect & useful.
    Ill add 1 or 2 different strategie about turbo on few tracks when i ll find time but now i am enjoying online as much as i can !

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    rejj

Well, do you see any entries on the record tables with exactly the same time? I don't find many. Having miliseconds would only make sense if there were a lot of times that are equal down to .xx seconds.
    Also, remember that the game is running at 60 frames a second, which means 0.0166 seconds between frames. There isn't enough timing resolution in the game to give millisecond results

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

Display framerate does not always equal gameplay framerate. For example, Forza2 on Xbox360 runs at 60fps screen refresh rate, but the game engine actually runs at 360fps.

Default Chenghou Reverse shortcut..... Help Please!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Ice View Post
    after the first magstrip up use your turbo and nose up to cut the corner to the right and land with a BR boost into the "Robots build Robots corner to the left.
    The only way I can make this shortcut is by using the wall at the top of the magstrip, just before the right turn, as a launch ramp. The result of this can be spectacular but I`m not sure this is what you mean, Mad-Ice. If I don`t use the wall I never make it across. Can you or someone else give me a tip on exactly where you fire the turbo, where you take off from and where you land?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

Hello Stephen
    I used your technique ( mini ramp to jump) at the early beginning when i discovered how Cheng was about when reversed. Cheng forward got that mini ramp after the open section but with no real benefit using it.
    Anyway, back on the black one : when i saw MadIce & AH Quadzilla beating my lap time by far i tried to understand it but Matthijs gave me the solution : turboing & shortcutting : i tried several location where to turbo the best .
    Before that you need to have in mind to really up your nose as much as you can while turning right and doing a BR which is not an easy task to link those 3 actions in a milisecond
    If you turbo immediately after the end of the magstrip when you are on the right side of the track you ll get a respawn ( try to test where exactly the respawn is cause when you found the limit it will be at that point to throw the turbo)
    My lines are : get that speed pad on the left, stay left till the mag strip is finished then after you found where exactly is the 'respawn limit' you turn right & up your nose , throw your turbo , BR, and point your ship to the direction of that building ( which is on the right side of the track before the robot builds robots billboard : if you got that good diagonal line in the air you can land smoothly on that right part of the track where the left long curve is almost finished ( if you are too far on your right you ll hit the building side) if you throw your turbo too late : you ll have too much speed carried and hit the R. builds R. wall ( plus you not really shortcut in that way : you almost do that low ramp technique we were using before).
    When everything is doing perfectly you can 'go out' from that left curve by a sweet turbo boost induced by BR hit those 2 speed pads on the left before the open section and entering the looooong right curve and maybe if you lucky get a new BR while turning that long right ( don't hit the walls before doing it and try to land on/ or / near that unique speed pad in the middle of that curve )

Last tip : the more you avoid airbrakes ( except sideshifts) the speedier it is ( i know it sounds logical to many of us here but for me i had to relearnt few things about the way i am controlling my ship compare to older wipeouts) multiple slight tap on dpad left or right is always better than 'compensating' with airbrake left or right

Thx SL again for that 2097/XL Hud where the speedometer is displayed enoughly big to let me watch it constantly

21.81 / 1.53.48 my latest score about Cheng reverse

Fantastic tips, thanks. I had a quick go before sleep and made the jump without too much trouble, but not the BR I think the route across is just to the left of the second pole on the right after the magstrip, but I`ll check this some more. There is some mad stuff all around that track, but I`ll crack it in the end.

Congrats on your crazy time there too.

How did you know I was using too much brakes? Thanks for that tip, I suspected I was a brake-abuser and will have to control this bad habit one day

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

That is effin phenomenal. Shortcut FTW!!! Just had a go at it and wow, that is totally amazing. Fly WipEout