Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Metropia - Speed Lap - Phantom

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    rejj

Default Metropia - Speed Lap - Phantom

How many BRs (ugh) are you guys doing on Metropia in Phantom? I just managed to come 24th on the boards with what I thought was a fairly sloppy lap (only hit 7 speed pads, and hit a wall or two) doing zero BRs. That was a 21.31

I'm hoping that just maybe this will be a track that utilises minimal BRs.

I'm enjoying the game, but like the two PSP games before it the BRs are hugely annoying. If Pure and Pulse were any indication of what HD will be like, Speed Lap degenerates into a "who can do the most BRs?" competition.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

Long time no talk to you Rejj
    Here's my 2 cents about Metropia ( note that i am not the leader on that one and top pilots may have a different turbo strategie than mine)
    I only do 1 BR did with turbo : you got the starting line, pass the mini chicane and when you are straight you throw it when you start climbing the hill , pitch up to get enough air and do a BR for the rest of the track it's all a matter of sideshift and taking the shortest route ( line)

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    rejj

Heh yeah, it has been a while.
    I had to stop playing Pulse because I only have an original fat PSP, and playing the game was causing fairly severe cramping and general soreness

The dualshock 3 is much nicer (and lighter than a PSP!) to hold, so I can actually play HD I think...

That's a fairly ballsy place to drop the turbo, if I understand you correctly. There's a fairly sharp corner at the top of that hill.

I've just been using mine on the small straight before the last sweeping right-hander at the end of the lap. I'll try out your suggestion, but I can just see it ending in a lot of smashing into the wall for me..

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

try to launch your turbo few inches before the start of the climb, that can help you to handle extra speed before that 90° left ( a good timing and a sideshift may help you too)

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

I usually do the turbo pretty late, then sideshift and take the BR boost into the short straight after the turn. I wonder if that's actually slower than getting an early boost and another one BEFORE the first right...

Ben

PSN ID
    infoxicated

Ah.

And here's me thinking that Metropia was a BR free zone.

That's another track off my favourites list, then.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    phl0w

Sorry to give my 2 cents although I don't own WOHD, but this thread got me thinking, since my laptimes in Pulse's Metropia are clocked with 3 BRs. Is the HD version so much different that only one is possible?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Two max are possible on both forward and reverse AFAIK.

PSN ID
    TearsToShreds

I'm not sure if I've done this in Phantom yet, but on Rapier I use the same barrel roll as Asa. Taking the turn while turboing is hard, yes, but my fastest time was done when I just flew around that corner with an Icaras (I even hit the wall afterwards but I still couldn't beat it by doing the BR earlier and taking the corner perfectly).

That leaves just Moa Therma reverse without BR's, I think.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

Sol2?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Sol2 you can do BRs, one on forward which accelerate you and theoretically two others, but they do not provide any advantage; reverse you can do some as well, though I'm not sure how many, and I don't think they provide a big advantage too.

PSN ID
    TearsToShreds

On Phantom it's quite easy on Sol 2 (normal) to do a barrel roll on the straight part after the first two turns. There's a dip in the track where you can gain enough height to do a BR when you nose up. Bit of hit and miss, though.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Quote Originally Posted by phl0w View Post
    Sorry to give my 2 cents although I don't own WOHD, but this thread got me thinking, since my laptimes in Pulse's Metropia are clocked with 3 BRs. Is the HD version so much different that only one is possible?
    "Metropia White HD" is Metropia Black in Pulse.
    Whereas "Metropia Black HD" is simply "Metropia White HD Reverse".

Quote Originally Posted by Darkdrium777 View Post
    Sol2 you can do BRs, one on forward which accelerate you
    In any speed class? If so, where is it?

Also, I figured taking any of the "bumps" at the side of the open section doesn't make you faster, does it?

Ben

Timezone
    GMT + 1

@Darkdrium777; 2 BRs on Metropia! Where?

Sol2; 1st BR after the first turns and just after the speedpad on the first hill, boost and BR. 2nd BR when taking the last 270 degrees turn to the right with hard airbraking and BR when you go down.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

lolll Matthijs , i had that question for Xavier as well in my mind ( but where is that 2nd BR he mentioned earlier )

A thread which can resume all tips possible ( and turbo strategie) for tracks would not be bad at all.

PSN ID
    love9sick

I am kind of disappointed with how much this game relies on Barrel rolls. There were races in the Hard Rush+ that in order to get a gold you needed to do more than one barrel roll each lap on time trials. I'm not big on BRs as much as I am on just taking a nice smooth line through out the entire lap. Still my favorite Wipeout though.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Two max on Metropia Forward: one right after the start if you have a turbo, and one on the little hump if you take it on the far right side with nose up near the end of the track.
    Metropia Reverse: One by taking that little hump on the left and BR, you can land on the weapon pad, one near the end with a turbo, don't pitch up too much or you will hit the supports on the sides of the hill that goes down in the chicanes.

I don't know if it's clear enough. One out of two is risky though, you can end up teleporting or hitting a wall and stopping dead.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

I did an extended Metropia R Speed Lap session yesterday (including new record ), and I have to say the more I play it, the more I love this track. Starting with the first turn, that you can take many different ways, then the corner-cutting jump to the right for the first BR, the blind left-right combo after the climb - absolutely amazing, and the downhill bash to the finish with the second BR. This track just has it all. I'm in love

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

Same strategy and same loving of that track than El

Metropia Reverse was love at first flight for me too. The most enjoyable track in HD, and it really gives me some 2097 feelings - especially on the turn right and drop where you do the first BR. In a way the BR spoils the 1990`s feeling there and I just want to enjoy that spectacular moment, but that`s HD and no point crying about it