Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How to troubleshoot and fix online problems

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Try starting wipeout HD before signing into the PSN.
    For some reason if you do things back to front it loads online OK
    That usually fixes the problem.

Timezone
    GMT -6

@blackwiggle Did the above- turned off autosign in on PSN. Restarted machine and went directly to game. went to online, game prompted sign in to PSN, did so.... and got the same error.

Also, deleted all save data last night - had no effect except purging my medals.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Have you tried making a new user account and race under that name?
    I hope you had backed up your game save data, there was no reason to delete it as I doubt it has anything to do with your problem.

Are you getting an error code number?, If so what is it?
    Or just a cannot connect error message?

There was a problem that was happening to people around a year ago where they couldn't login to online using their proper user name, but they could if they made another user account, it was a real PITA for all concerned and it took SL an absolute age to sort because they couldn't replicate it.
    It got to the stage where one of the forum members was giving individual names of the effected to SL so that SL could manually reset those names on the servers, but even that didn't work for long, it finally got fixed around a month before FURY got released with a game update.

I just hope for your sake that this bug hasn't made a return.

Since the sudden influx of new HD players due to the game being free with PS+, a lot of old glitches are starting to reappear, like people coming up on online races as somebody else, which I think might somehow be related to your problem.

What next?
    Not the dreaded "Vista Pads" again, that would suck more than a thousand vacuum cleaners
    Last edited by blackwiggle; 24th July 2010 at 01:31 AM.

Timezone
    GMT -6

Thanks very much for your response and assistance.

No error codes, just "an error occurred while contacting the server". Never thought I'd wish for an eight digit string instead... that would shed a little more light.

In hindsight, losing gamesaves was not a huge issue... hadn't gotten terribly far, just a few events. This is the first glitch I've had so I haven't been in the habit of backup yet...

I will create a brand new account and update this thread ASAP.

Blackwiggle, you nailed it, by crackie. I created a blank account and got right in! Thing that tripped me up was I thought a secondary account on my console was used seldom enough to qualify - that was wrong!

So I have *2* PSN IDs to report as in need of correction on the server -

akira_2_5_0_1 and ashuhleigh.

How can I get in touch with Studio Liverpool et al. to correct? I put this in a thread referenced on the playstation.com boards but did not see activity over there, here it is:

http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/sho...t=5655&page=37

Many thanks - this was bugging me more than I care to admit
    Last edited by SaturnReturn; 24th July 2010 at 03:04 AM. Reason: Merged consecutive posts within an hour of each other.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Glad you got a result.
    Also sorry you can't use your preferred user name to play HD, well at least at the moment.
    Hopefully SL will be watching for problems since the sudden influx of new players, but to be honest I think that's wishful thinking on my part.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

Default Moderator Message

Please use the edit button rather than creating consecutive posts in a short time period.

Thanks

Timezone
    GMT -6

Wow.... so tonight I perform the PS3 Firmware Update 3.41 as REQUIRED to get into the online play menu.... this is done while signed into the blank, never-been-used-before account referenced 2 or 3 posts ago... and I get the *same flipping error* as before! This makes 3 out of 3 accounts with the same "an error occurred while contacting the server" message, and no ability to play with others offsite, -just on this game-. What gives? Am I not cool enough? SaturnReturn seems to think so. Anyone want to chime in and tell me I'm not as alone as I feel in getting this glitch?
    Last edited by akira2501; 27th July 2010 at 04:50 AM. Reason: Tidy is as tidy does.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Well that's not good.:-
    Have you got a friend who lives nearby that has their own PS3 with wipeout HD installed?
    Reason I ask is because this problem is very hard to trouble shoot unless you have somebody else you can do a direct comparison with.
    I'd suggest if you have somebody like above you test out a few things to narrow down the possible problem.
    Actually these are pretty much need to do things if you want to sort this problem.

You can do it a couple of ways but doing both would be best.
    1]Take your console to somebody else's place and use their internet and see if you still have problems [try it with all 3 of your PSN accounts], if no problems then you know it's your internet setup at home that's causing it.
    Copy their settings & setup as close as possible when you get home.
    2] Have somebody else come around to you place with their console with wipeout HD installed and use your internet, if no problem then it means something is wrong with your consoles wipeout install/ consoles internet settings.

The only other thing I could think of that might cause these problems are.[grasping at straws here]

A] You bought and downloaded HD from a PStore that is not the USA one [I'm guessing your USA based by the time displayed under your user name]
    I'm not even sure if this would normally have any effect, but since the problem you are suffering is rare it might.

B]When you first set up HD with a fresh install, it asks you which area [country] you want to choose for online, maybe try changing that.
    You used to be able to change it, I had a quick look but can't seem to find the option any more, it might of disappeared with a game update?

Sorry I can't be of more help, but I've re-read your posts and it seems that you have tried everything except the above

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Has anyone encountered freezes lately when looking back? Recently I started playing again and every time a freeze occurred, I was looking back.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Yes it's a well known game glitch.
    Just never use reverse view when racing online.
    Same situation with trying to use the none functioning in game voice chat, don't bother.
    Virtually impossible to race and hold down the button needed to chat at the same time anyway.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

So any patch coming up for that? I almost automatically use it for eliminator.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

None that anybody is aware of, it's been like that forever for both none functioning controls when online so I wouldn't be holding much hope for a patch.
    There used to be a major online problem with what was commonly known as "Vista Pads" where a lot of the weapon pads didn't work, this was far worse and a game killer, I think it was fix this or the other, so the pads got fixed.

PSN ID
    Killakills

Hello, I recently got back into wipeout and I cant seem to connect to online with my main account. Always says error when I try, other account logs in fine without any trouble though. Was wondering if anyone knows if theres anyway to fix this.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Oh no, not this problem again.
    This particular problem was happening for around 20 zone members nearly 2 years ago, god knows how many none zone members were suffering the same thing.
    At first [I think it was either Elhabib or HellfireWZ]from here got in contact with the people at Studio Liverpool and gave them a list of the names effected, and they were manually reset at the server, that worked for a while then it came back again, and it stuck around for many months until a game update came out.

In the mean time people had set up second accounts that were closely named to the originals [Kanar was effected- he use kanar-is-back]

There is really nothing you can do about this unfortunately.
    I can tell you it's not a internet connection issue.

If you have only just started playing HD/FURY it's not that much of a problem, still bloody annoying as I can understand people wanting to use their main account.
    Only thing to do is use a different account and keep checking to see if things fix themselves and you can eventually re- connect with the main.

PSN ID
    Killakills

Thanks for the reply, I played hd back when it was released but came back because of the free fury add on and everybody on my friends list getting it.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

OK, so this problem could really still be from the original one, not a recurrence.
    Send a PM to Kanar and ask him what he did to sort the problem out, just go to the HD world cup thread and click on his name on the first page.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kanar

arh sadly i've no surnatural powers, as blackwiggle said we were lucky enough here to have elhabib connected to sony liverpool by that time, he transmitted 'em a list of users affected by this server error. sorry to hear this bug is still around... maybe you could try sony's customer service, giving 'em all the details of your online error. perhaps it's not exactly the same bug we got 2 years ago. they could eventually transmit your problem to sony liverpool then. maybe try to contact elhabib here, he could still have a contact at sl. hope you could sort this out quickly

PSN ID
    Killakills

Thanks for the replies, I sent a pm to elhabib. Also read online some people were having the same problem and that having more than 50 people on their friends list was the cause, could be the same for me since I was able to play online back in the day.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    handmade_lion

Me and Jan709 were trying to get some races in earlier this morning and we were both stuck on the "Connecting..." screen. After deciding to reboot our systems we were able to get on, but this may have been the servers coming back on coincidentally. We weren't sure. We got to get our races in, though.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Yeah I had the same problem earlier this week.
    I found a fix by accident.
    That is you create a new user name, but don't register it with the PSN.
    You can open any downloaded games with a unregistered user account, so open HD/FURY, then go to connect to online, the game will ask you to sign in, but since you are trying to do it with a unregistered user name it will do it with your main account, you will find that you will now be able to connect, and it will be under your main account.

Why it works with this extra step is beyond me.