Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My impression of HD..

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ZenDJiNN

Interesting thread, and quite timely (for me at least) as i don't have a PS3 yet. Like Flash, i would primarily be getting a PS3 just for Wipeout (and maybe Fatal Inertia). As it's quite a hefty outlay for the PS3, i'm trying to glean all the info on the game that i can.

I'm thinking of delaying my purchase of a PS3 (Which i'm only really getting for Wipeout & perhaps Fatal Inertia) and instead getting a Slim PSP so i can use the Comp cable & play Pulse (& Pure?) on a larger screen. It's a lot cheaper than the PS3, i already have the games that i'm playing on my normal PSP and because i'm not that great a pilot yet (I can now cope with Rapier pretty well) i still have much to do with both Pulse & Pure.

Flash, you mentioned the whole screen thing with Pulse, when you plugged the PSP into the TV? I've never seen one running yet so have no idea of the graphics etc. Does it still look as good (albeit larger of course) on a bigger screen? I know it's not going to compare with HD at all, but if it's reasonably good, and still very playable and great fun, then i think this may well be the route for me.

Also, having come into the whole Wipeout scene at Pure (As Frances did also IIRC) i don't have the experience of the older games for comparison. I have tried a few, and found them to be pretty mushy and nowhere near as much fun or graphically exciting as both Pure & Pulse.

I really like both Pure & Pulse, for different reasons, and i'm only just beginning to be able to cope with Rapier in Pure, so that shows how far behind i am in Pilot skill etc. Phantom in both Pure & Pulse is a complete "No No" for me as i just end up either slamming into walls and/or running out of shield too early & blowing up!

Quote Originally Posted by G'Kyl View Post

I don't think it's actually slower. I suppose it's a matter of how things look on a big screen as compared to a small, somewhat blurry one.
    The top speed in HD is as far as I recall the same as Pulse, those stats were not altered, possibly the top end came in by 3-5kph, but no more and it might have gone up 3-5kph I cant recall it was a year ago The sensation though, is a little different, mainly due to the screen size and what you can see also due to what you are used to

We can make it go faster, Zone mode shows that, however in zone mode we change the ship a lot so that at super fast speeds it doesnt fly off a jump and never come down.
    To have a faster class in HD would take a lot of consideration, we would need to consider the effect on each track, in terms of collision, where you can fly to, what you can see, where you get reset, etc. In short it would be a large chunk of work to add to the list of things we'd like to do. It was never planned for HD, whether we go back and look at it again, I dont know much depends on the success of HD as to what happens next.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    Boogalogist

In short, I'd like to think that those extras that Colin mentioned will probably be in the next full priced Wipeout!

However, I would agree with Colin on this one. I could not see much (if any) speed changes from Pulse to HD. Phantom has, and still is, blindingly fast for me.

ZenDJiNN: If you use the cables from the PSP to the TV, there'll be black areas on the top and the side of TV display. What this means is that the PSP won't be able to utilize the whole screen. There are some screenshots of this on the net, do check it out.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ZenDJiNN

Thanks for that boogalogist, i'll do that. Been looking around at what's available and there alse seems to be a 1080p VGA box that'll perform on a VGA screen, which may be qorth a look.

Cheers!

Timezone
    GMT + 1

I agree with Flashback_Jack about the speed that lacks in HD! HD is definately faster then Pure, just look at the records made in Pure and in HD. For one of the examples:

Pure; Vineta K, SL 19.20 sec.
    HD; Vineta K, SL 18.39 sec.

But HD is definately slower then Pulse which is a shame.

Pulse; Moa Therma White, SL 22.04 sec.
    HD; Moa Therma White, SL 22.98 sec.

These are just two examples and I really hope HD will become faster then Pulse!!!

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Wip3ou7pure

I own every XG game (1 and 2 on N64, XGIII on PS2, and XGRA on XBOX) and I don't feel that XG is as good, or as fast as WipEout HD. As a collector of the scifi racing genre (I have it all trust me) I really feel that WipEout HD is exceptional. To me it feels like playing WipEout 3 (or even XL) and I can't complain about that.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Squallie

ZenDJiNN: I have never played PSP on a television, but the framerate in both Pure and Pulse are so bad compared to WOHD that I wouldnt recommend them before WOHD even if you dont care about the graphics.

And to everyone else: Isn't it possible that the much better framerate makes the game feel a little bit slower? That and the bigger screen in combination.

PSN ID
    Crobweb

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Ice View Post
    But HD is definately slower then Pulse which is a shame.
    But surely these speeds are historically consistent, and faster speeds should be expected in FX450 series and above?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

Chris, you are the master of the legendary art of the PR response

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Squallie

haha ^_^