Thread: My idea for a new Game Mode: AG-R GP.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Klax75

Default My idea for a new Game Mode: AG-R GP.

This is my idea for a new style of play. I know this wouldn't be for everyone and this is just another play style. It wouldn't take away any of the current game modes. This style of play is meant for the WipeOut more advanced player wanting something different.

AG-R GP (Anti-Gravity Racing Grand Prix)

In this mode races would be longer, the host can set what speed class they want just like always but there are no weapons in this mode or barrel rolls. It can be set as a single race, with qualifying, or a tournament. AG-R GP would have a minimum number of laps, starting at lets say 25. The host can add more laps if they wanted.

Speed Lap/Qualifying:
    For qualifications so they aren't just random. Now this session would be limited to 4 laps. All competitors would be on the track at the same time. The difference to a normal race, that all pilots would be a Ghost to each other so you can have a clean track to yourself, yet are on the track with all the other pilots. Since everyone is a ghost to each other you would be able to see each other lines see them on the track. Only giving 4 laps your best time would be your position for the start of the race. Every track would automatically have the qualifying session before the start of the race, of the track you would be racing on.

AG-R GP Races: Races would be standard non-weapons races, but without barrel rolls. Racing lines would play a big part, speed traps would still be on track. Damage would still be caused to your ship when hitting the sides of the track, hitting other AG's, or when going off track. The major difference is, once your ship tracks damage the "Pit-In" option would be available. This option would use the weapons button, but the "Pits" would be the start finish grid. When passing over the grid, you would hit your button and your ship would be fixed. The draw back to this is, when your ship is being fixed you are slowed down, also put temporally in to a ghost mode so other races don't crash in to you while you are pitting. If you keep pitting your lap times will be slowed since you are slow down each time you pit. So getting a big lead before you pit is very important. The amount of damage you have will reflect on how much you are slowed down to fix it. You will never come to a dead stop, the slow effect would be more of. In Phantom and have tons of damage you maybe slowed down to Flash or Venom speeds. If you are hosting a vemon speed class, then pitting would cause sub-vemon speeds and so one. The amount of speed lost depends on the amount of damage.

Off track and Wrecks: Off track would result in 2 rescues of your ship. Do it a third time and it's a DNF. Take to much damage and your ship is destroyed resulting in a DNF. No new ship respawn.

DNF: A person that DNF'ed would then be sent to the spectate screen where they can watch the race unfold, look at the lap times, and what lap number the rest of the field is on.

[Update]Damage Model: Now this is if WipeOut engine can handle it. If you are racing in this mode and you have 90% damage but not pitting your craft will be slower then normal do to the drag of the damage. So bumping around the track, but staying damage won't help you. The more damage you have the more drag you have. So running clear laps becomes very important. Damage wouldn't effect handling of your ship just the speed of it. Running in to other AG-R, will also cause damage to both ships, not as much as running to to a track well, continuing to bump other racers the damage can really build up. Hurting both involved in the scraps.

Pitting: Pitting would reflect the length of the race so if you are in a 25 lap race you may get 1 pit stop chance. In a 50 lap race 2 pit stop chances. And so on. Now these Pit windows are up to the driver they aren't forced on you. Meaning if I am racing but not damage you wouldn't have to do a mandatory pit. So if you can run a complete 50 lap race, perfectly, you may not use your pits at all. You just have pit stops to use when you want them. The more damage you take the more drag you have. Even a heavily damage ship the pit stop would be short and you'd still have control of your AG while it's going on so you don't lose your racing line. The ghost for a pitting player would be Yellow so you know they are pitting. Pitting you would also have to hit the button at the right time to make a pit stop, the possibility of missing the pits. So you want to begin your pit as soon as you get to the last grid spot. You could do it at the first grid spot but then you'd be slowed down right before you may hit a sharp turn, when you are no longer a ghost you will return to normal speed instantly. When needing to pit, each grid will pulsate yellow, to show you where the pit zone is. Only the driver that needs to pit will see this.

If you have two pit stops available but use them all up in the first 20 laps of a 50 lap race you won't be able to pit again at all. So using them wisely.

Pilot Assist: This game mode would be off, there is no way to use pilot assist at all.

[Updated]Slip Streaming / Drafting: So when you get in the exhaust energy beam that trails the behind each vehicle you will draft off them, if you leave the beam you will go back to normal speed. This would make it possible to catch up to people. The draft effect would be slight just enough for the possibility to over take the person in front of you if you are able to get in to there exhaust beam. When a craft is one AG-Racer length behind you. The proximity gauge on your HUD will go Blue instead of Red. Red will be standard like now, meaning there is someone closing in. When it turn blue this tells you that someone is in your exhaust, once it goes full blue pulsating glow, this is a visual queue that someone is drafting off you and for you to take evasive action.
    Last edited by klax75; 6th November 2008 at 11:28 AM.

Timezone
    GMT -6

I love your idea.

I have an idea of how to improve it. I think each person should have a number floating above their vehicle. This number would show how many laps ahead or behind they are from you. So if someone was two laps ahead of me it would show +2 above them, or if someone was 1 lap behind me it would show -1. If they are on the same lap it would either show 0 or it just wouldn't be there. This would be really helpful because if the race was 50+ laps it could get spread out.

Timezone
    GMT -5

jesus, 25 laps? sometimes i start getting impatient after four laps.

"Slip Streaming / Drafting: So when you get in the exhaust energy beam that trails the behind each vehicle you will draft off them, if you leave the beam you will go back to normal speed. This would make it possible to catch up to people. The draft effect would be slight just enough for the possibility to over take the person in front of you if you are able to get in to there exhaust beam. "

I like your idea, but not this part. This completely destroyed ridge racer in that you cannot get away. Feels way too much like CPU assist to make the race close. IF it was extremely close to the ship (one ship length away), that might not be bad though.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Klax75

Quote Originally Posted by JABBERJAW View Post
    I like your idea, but not this part. This completely destroyed ridge racer in that you cannot get away. Feels way too much like CPU assist to make the race close. IF it was extremely close to the ship (one ship length away), that might not be bad though.
    Yes I was picturing it you'd have to be pretty close to the other person in order for it to work and then you'd have to worry about not hitting the back of them. The speed gain would not be a huge boost, just enough to help you pass, but leave the trail and it's gone. So the person in front of you could side shift out of out and you'd loose the draft.

If you are trying to draft off someone they side shift, hit a speed pad, now you are no where near them now to draft off of.
    ---
    Quote Originally Posted by captain howdy View Post
    jesus, 25 laps? sometimes i start getting impatient after four laps.
    This wouldn't be for everyone and the standard games modes would still be there. For me I get bored with 3-5 lap races, it doesn't feel like a race to me. I quite often do 99 lap Speed laps, with no pausing.
    Last edited by Task; 19th October 2008 at 01:39 AM. Reason: Merged sequential posts