Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Things that would improve HD

I'm am oldie. I have not played wipeout since 2097. I bought a ps3 for wipeout HD alone. mgs4 was a bonus but pc's are my thing mainly.
    The thing i miss most is the cornering from 2097. It was possible to swing into the corner then press the other air break to do a sideways skid to clear the corner. It made the speed feeling all the better.
    I'm also in the camp for getting rid of the barrel roll. its a wreck the head to have to squeeze them in as often as possible. phantom speed with weapons is fun enough. barrel rolls suck.
    But all in all Wipeout HD rocks. I play on my highdef 90" projection screen with my kef 2001's, black out blinds and a big **** off couch. what a buzz!!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

welcome aboard REZED

Quote Originally Posted by JABBERJAW View Post
    Allow the host to time trial while waiting for some people to enter his tourney or race, flash someone has entered the room on the screen, then you can leave the tt
    I know where you come from : maximising time allowed to play : not much time so a duo TT while waiting for other 'partners' to join is a brilliant idea : i second that

Not sure if this has been suggested but how about the host being able to set a count down timer so all the other players know approximately when the race will start. This saves the mind numbing wait for the host to start the race. has any one said anything like this "ah he will start it at 5 players.. ok 6.... come on you prick start the fecken race... ok maybe 7.... no.. for god sake start the fu*king race" and at that point two other players leave due to boredom.
    It seams to me that there is a lot of surfing going on. I do it meself, looking for a tourney at the right speed and a good few players. If players could look and see a count down timer they could log in and go do something else for a while. the games would fill up faster as well cos we can get what we want and know when we will get it!!
    I play late at night in Ireland and i'll tell you the players get few and far between sometimes. I end up playing U.S servers to get players.

PSN ID
    pildog

I've had this game since its release, my only prior experience with Wipeout was Wipeout 64, which was tough, and Wipeout Fusion, which I hated.

Some to the best improvements are the simplest. Many of these have been mentioned before.

A CHIME when a player enters a game.

An ANTHEM when the player roster is full and maybe a voice stating as such.

Again a warning that you've just been passed the ball to start the game when the original host has dropped out.

At the end of the game I'd love for gold, silver and bronze medals to be awarded to those that deserve it... sometimes the scoreboard is up so briefly I don't even see where I come in the rankings (normally near the bottom)

The ability to set the number of laps in a single race, maybe up to a maximum of 30 or so... I think 99 laps would be too much for most people; just too long.

The ability to set every odd or even level as weapons off.

Again in tournament, the ability to set the number of laps, maybe to a maximum of 9.

True Elimination: If you're eliminated from a track, you're out (and enter an observer mode). Either the first player over the line wins, or the last surviving player.

Remove Autopilot from the weapon roster in online play.

Quote Originally Posted by REZED View Post
    *snip*
    The thing i miss most is the cornering from 2097. It was possible to swing into the corner then press the other air break to do a sideways skid to clear the corner. It made the speed feeling all the better.*snip*
    This is exactly what I was about to say! In my opinion they haven't got this right since it was perfected in 2097. You used to be able to grind along the sides without losing much speed if your angle of impact wasn't too great, and if you tilted your nose up on hard turns you could grind around them which was awesome fun. Now I find myself grinding to a halt with even the slightest bump against the edges. Very disappointing. I hope someone reads this and alters it for the next version!!

Very disappointing. I hope someone reads this and alters it for the next version!![/QUOTE]

Lets all hope they fix it NOW. We all now live in the days of game updates!!
    I just wonder if it is possible to get that kind of game play out of a game engine that was written for trucks, cars and karts (moterstorm). Maybe the physics engine can't go that far!

Yeah, I would personally LOVE for them to fix it now, but to be fair then everyone's lap times and online records would be sort of screwed up and incongruent, and I'm sure there are some pedantic people out there who would care about that sort of thing
    Last edited by Lance; 19th October 2008 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Redundant quotation removed. Please read and follow the forum guidelines.

True. True.
    Something has to be done about the online thing though. The interface lacks personality big time. Another thought, the filters can be set to any or 1. How about being able to set minimum speeds and players. So you can filter for rapier or phantom with 5 or more players. That is something that can be fixed very easy.

PSN ID
    Crobweb

Quote Originally Posted by Fasty View Post
    ...since it was perfected in 2097. You used to be able to grind along the sides without losing much speed...
    Some of the vets on here might be able to correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't you actually gain speed by skimming walls in 2097 if you did it right?
    (for the record, I didn't write the wall collision code in 2097... )

yeah, you could get a little speed in the right places, but it certainly isn't easy, and has a high risk factor of hitting and stopping.

"Now I find myself grinding to a halt with even the slightest bump against the edges"

very odd that this would be the complaint. I find these last three games considerable easier than the first three as far as keeping you speed going. You rarely come to a complete stop in HD, except on very hard hits, where in xl you could only skim the walls. You should try sideshifting(shudders) off when you hit, or just immediately turn the other way. Most scrapes on this game allow you to keep moving fast as long as you nose isn't into the wall (I think this is the key). Have you entered any xl/2097 times?
    Last edited by JABBERJAW; 19th October 2008 at 06:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crob View Post
    Some of the vets on here might be able to correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't you actually gain speed by skimming walls in 2097 if you did it right?
    Even more gain, perhaps, in WO3, but since that was done by Leeds Studio, I'm guessing you didn't write that routine either, Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Crob View Post

Well Crob I'm not sure if you are involved in HD but if you are I want to say congrats to you and the rest of the gang. Its a cracker of a game..
    The reason I log on this site the other night is because in my opinion wipeout is the best racing game EVER. I'm a big kid of 31 years and since 2097 I have longed for the Ultimate version of wipeout and I have to say its nearly there. I bought the ps3 for wipeout alone for god sake. But the feeling of speed in HD misses something that was in 2097. The rush I used to get from hoofing around a track at stupid speeds and being able to hold the line was a feeling I NEVER got from any other game EVER!! So the point about the handling and skidding around a corner is far more important then the skimming walls and stuff. I was never one for cheating even if its legit and i was never good enough to do it anyway.
    All I really want is the Best racer to get better. So in my opinion HD's handling is missing something. I have a good idea of physics and aircraft and I know that with the airbrakes wipeout craft should be able to turn sideways and even do 180's and jet back to stop. Wipeout 2097 had this feeling to some extent but HD drives like a very light, very fast, very nimble CAR. Not an aircraft.
    I MISS IT!!
    That being said there are loads of things that I would not change about HD. I think the weapons are a blast. I love the bomb. IN high def and 5.1 it rocks. The graphics are so sweet looking. Multi player feels better. The damage is a bit of an issue but there is far more chance that you will be blasting the sh1t out of someone. In 2097 you might never even see the other player for the whole race.
    Oh one more point. Are the weapon pads random or what?? I find i can sometimes go a full lap and all the pads will be off as i pas them. If you meet a pad when its off and stay at a set speed they will all be off. Its gets to be a bit of a pisser after a while. Try and make them FULLY random if possible.

Oh right REZED, I think we must be talking about two different aspects. I agree with yours too though.

Crob I don't recall being able to speed up by skidding against the walls. I just miss being able to grind around corners and skimming against walls without being punished. Awesome game by the way, the reason I bought a ps3 as well!!!

JABBERJAW not long ago I was racing against a friend in HD and it was pretty much neck a neck. I forgot I was playing HD and not 2097 and expected that a slight grind along the edge wouldn't affect me much, however I found myself grinding to almost a complete stop. Yeah, I could have sidestepped away or whatever, but grinding is so much FUN!! I miss it And no, I've never entered any times, why do you ask?

i agree with the above that 2097 handeling, with said wall skimming in tact would improve HD no end, but it isn't gonna happen in HD as mentioned elsewhere in this forum, changing the games physics would be very difficult to do through an update or DLC. hopefully they'll work towards it for the next title.

it seems for most HD, is either brilliant or a 'step in the right direction' i'm in a minority who believe it is a 'small step' and needs some work to make me go 'oh i fancy playing HD' then be satisfied playing it, rather than sitting there thinking 'this isn't 2097 or 3 or pure really' which when i play them i'm really happy with the overall package.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    drenath

Another vote for 2097/XL scraping. Grinding to a stop is very punitive. I find myself overusing PA because I lose more speed grinding on walls than I do due to PA. The only "speed advantage" to scraping was that you could be a little less precise with 'shortest route' lines and not be punished for touching the wall.

Heck don't these ships have shields to push you away from it?

In fact I think these two are related. 2097/XL scraping should replace PA on the next title IMO.

Not only that but scraping was just COOL from a graphics/sound perspective.
    Last edited by drenath; 20th October 2008 at 03:27 PM.

PSN ID
    xxOBHxx

Mine are more aesthetic changes to be honest. I'm very happy with HD's mechanics.

Id mainly want the photo feature to be implemented a little more. For what is clearly a very well made feature of the game, it doesn't get it just deserves. A kind of automatic photo finish or 'moments of interest' would be nice. Just save it to the server like battlefield does it.

Only other thing that springs to mind is the ship model upgrades from fusion. 1 for each speed class would be excellent.

That and the weapon which reversed controls. My god that was nasty, but i loved it

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    drenath

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn View Post
    ship model upgrades from fusion
    Do you just mean the graphics? I thought that performance mods on the racecraft was very non-Wipeout.

Yes, I would agree that upgrades are not consistent with fixed speed classes and therefore are non-WipEout in character.

The same could be said about damage effects.

PSN ID
    Crobweb

Quote Originally Posted by Fasty View Post
    ...grind around corners and skimming against walls without being punished.
    Sure I agree 2097's wall grind was quite satisfying - but I think a maths error made it a little over generous!

which made it awesome.
    Last edited by Lance; 21st October 2008 at 02:05 AM. Reason: Redundant quotation of immediately previous post removed! READ AND FOLLOW THE GUIDELINES