Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Things that would improve HD

Seconded those ideas about quitting-penalties and the lobbies, even though I think I already seconded them elsewhere.

I would also like to have clearer info about what the new options are once they have been changed. If a Single Race lobby has been changed into a Tournament, I`d like to know at a glance (in list format) how many races there will be and which tracks I`ll be racing on. If the information is clear and quick to read, then the pause before the game can be launched won`t have to be long.

Wouldn't it be simpler to disallow any changes once the host set up and okayed the configuration?

PSN ID
    Axellink

Well the problem with that Lance is that people may request for a change. Having to create a new game to change the type of race would be annoying. but I have had the problem where someone quickly started a game putting me in a Feisa while he was flying a Icaras. Beat his ass though

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    borell

Quote Originally Posted by jmoid View Post
    Firstly, if you quit a race, or at least if you quit a tournament, there should be a delay on getting into another race, for the purpose of deterring quitting. It's so annoying when you end up with three people out of the eight that started a tournament after the second race, just because a few got bored. Don't start if you don't want to race to the end.
    Fine with me, as long as a solution of this kind does not involve false positives—which I guess would be really annoying for the victims.

Quote Originally Posted by jmoid View Post
    Secondly, I'd like a delay on starting races after changing options. People changing the track or class then starting a race immediately, in order to get opponents in the wrong ship or on a track they don't like, seems to be a widespread problem. Delay the start for thirty seconds or so and have a message saying "HOST HAS CHANGED OPTIONS."
    I wish this had been implemented in Pulse already.

PSN ID
    rushinmonkey

its been mentioned before but as a specific solution to hosts not starting have a 10s auto start when room is full and everyone has picked a ship?

Really hope also we can get some kind of ranking system in place soon, and ranked races where the rooms auto populate, a problem at least with rapier at the moment is that there will be 3 or 4 tournies set up and all with 2/8 or 3/8 - they just sit there for 5 minutes with ppl swapping between and not filling up efficently.. It's frustrating because there are enough ppl waiting to race just in different places..

Agree about rankings, Rushin, let`s hope we get something. I think this will be needed to keep people playing Wipeout HD in the long term, and could also be used as a stick to beat quitters until they change their ways.

I think quitting would also be reduced if people didn`t end up in long tours they weren`t expecting. The information before a race isn`t clear and you don`t always know when things have changed unless you`re focussing on that little box to the left, which people don`t always do.

Options changing isn`t always bad. Kanar`s Avalon sessions work very well with him changing the track after every 2 or 3 single races on the same one. There`s no need for a long delay after one track change like this, as you often have quality hosts like Kanar running a great room with a sequence of single races. This could be ruined if the lobby shut down or the race was always held up for too long after options changes. But if SR changes to tournament, or the speed class changes, or if the host changes the options too often, then there should definitely be some sort of delay to give people time to get out or change ship. If we do get rankings then mechanisms like this will definitely be needed, imo.

@Axel, yes this is very annoying, but in most cases I think it`s mostly just that and if someone thinks "tricking" other players, rather than practising, is the way to win races then they`re mistaken I think.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

Well how about this: everytime the host changes the options, all the players in the lobby get a message containing what has been changed, and two options (actual buttons to press): ACCEPT or LEAVE. The host can start the game with the new options as soon as everyone has selected one or the other. No timed delay there, and if you're not fine with the new options, you can leave instantly, without a chance of the host starting before you've had the chance to leave.

I think that idea is good. The only drawback I can think of is that somebody might make no selection to the message, and keep the process hanging. I think you would still need a timer on the selection message you suggested, and after, say, 15 seconds the race starts anyway and a player is kicked from the game if he hasn`t made a selection. Better that than keeping them in and having them on the start line while afk. But delays would still be not seen in many cases, such as a room that`s working well where everyone is on the same page and wants to get on with the next race - like a WZ room. Everyone would just press x and get on with the racing.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

good points.
    SL, read this, then make it real!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

Brilliant guys , brilliant ! that would work better in the way you suggested Martin & Stephen.

Allow the host to time trial while waiting for some people to enter his tourney or race, flash someone has entered the room on the screen, then you can leave the tt

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    dobyblue

Am I missing somewhere in online mode where you can see the number of tracks the host has selected?
    I can see speed, race type, # of players currently joined, etc., but I'd really like to know whether I'm getting into a 4-race tourney or a 12-race tourney.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    crawdad62

I noticed today while in a tourney that the tracks scrolled (rather changed) showing the various tracks in the tournament. It showed in the box 1/4, 2/4 etc. which was the number of tracks in the 4 track tournament.

I assume that's what you're after. I rarely play tournaments. This should also be available when on the screen in the lobby. I notice they changed tracks too.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Klax75

Two more features I'd like to see. I know this strays from the WipeOut theme but 12 racers on a track instead of 8.

I really, really want to be able to change the lap numbers. I want to do 30 lap, non-weapons races. Since there is no weapons there is no way to repair your ship during a race, so driving cafeful becomes extremely important.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Quote Originally Posted by crawdad62 View Post
    I noticed today while in a tourney that the tracks scrolled (rather changed) showing the various tracks in the tournament.
    Yes, and it's taking ages to recognize any possible changes with that slowly scrolling thing. To me, the point of making all the changes obvious the instant they happen is probably the most important one.

Ben
    Last edited by G'Kyl; 18th October 2008 at 09:33 AM.

I think dobyblue is talking about seeing how many tracks in the online tour before it starts. I think at the moment you have to wait until after the first race to see how many races there will be. I think this could be improved. Many people wouldn`t want a 12 race tour when we have time constraints (like needing sleep). But personally I hate to quit a tour. I`d like to see full information about online races be quicker and easier to read. At the moment it looks great, but isn`t as useful as it could be.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    radiumx

It does show how many races there are in the tournament in the lobby, but it looks like it's truncated for low-resolution TVs.

Then please, SL, take pity on us poor country-dwellers who have to spend our hard-earned pennies on feeding, clothing and educating our children instead of swanky TVs

Just remembered something... password protected games. If people were going to set up leagues and that kind of thing it'd be helpful.

PSN ID
    Axellink

Hmmmm well you can allocate all the space in the room for your friends only you know. So password protected games aren't really needed