Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Things that would improve HD

PSN ID
    CaptainGrim

Quote Originally Posted by Balrog View Post
    IIRC from the 1Up interview, in the order of 400,000
    Woah there neddy... Try 40,000 instead!

Quote Originally Posted by klax75 View Post
    I've notice that some graphical effects are gone from the PSP versions. The main one for me is when coming out of a tunnel that there is a burst of brightness then normalizes. Or going in to the tunnel it is slightly dark, then adjust to normal.

The effect that you're describing is called tone mapping. HD does do this, but it can be a little subtle in places so you've probably just not noticed it
    Last edited by Lance; 7th October 2008 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Merged two consecutive posts by same author. Read the guidelines, please.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    Virtical

I really miss eliminator mode, it was great fun in Wo3, airbraking while youre ahead just so you could blast off a few rockets into the poor, unsuspecting sucker that flys infront of you!

Also, i agree with eLhabib on the BR controls, many a time, i find myself trying to pitch the controller up while mashing the d-pad and steering my ship into a wall when i hit the ground, an option to tie them to the airbrakes would be great

PSN ID
    Axellink

There is nothing wrong with adding another way to do BR. The current method for me ain't good since I use stick. But the the ability to use both the R1 and L1 buttons since i don;t even use them. Yes I don't use the mic as well

Quote Originally Posted by Egg View Post
    I didn't build and texture the HD models, though (apart from the first 'pass' on the Assegai and Auricom). They're just based on my blocky old Pulse designs. The Pulse ships were created from the ground up with a regimented texture layout, specifically with customisation in mind. There was never any intention of customising the HD ships - it would've added more development time to what was a very short project, in PS3 terms - so Rob, Dave and Dean were free to lay their textures out however they wanted.
    Avoiding hubristic behaviour is a wonderful thing, but you're excessively modest. The ship designs`shapes`forms are still basically your work.
    Good on ya for trying to give credit where credit is due, but don't short yourself on due credit, either.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Klax75

Quote Originally Posted by captaingrim View Post
    The effect that you're describing is called tone mapping. HD does do this, but it can be a little subtle in places so you've probably just not noticed it
    Probably never noticed then, since that track in Pulse is set in very sunny clear blue sky afternoon. I kind of miss that version of it. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Ice View Post
    Hi Al, I did some TTs on Moa Therma and I think HD is slower than Pulse. And certainly slower than Pulse with speedmod. In the ghosts thread I already said that HD is faster then Pure, just look at the SL and TT times of Vineta K from everyone.

So HD would improve with more speed for me, at least a bit more faster than Pulse!
    I got to thinking about the speed issues. And for me it is realistic. Because if you look at the, info for Pure it is set in 2197 in the FX300 League, Pulse is set in the year 2207 FX400 League. Where as HD is actually in between them in the year 2206 FX350 League. Which is called the Developmental League. So it makes sense to me, that it might actually be slower, since it is a testing ground league, for the world stage of FX400.

That also brings me to another point people have talked about how the performance for each craft is different, again I have no problem with this. If anyone has ever followed Formula One for example you can see how a difference in even one season car development can be from the previous season. Each craft in WipeOut is different now, not a stock chassis, so we assume that each company is building a new model for every league, but sometimes a newer model doesn't mean better performance. Maybe the "AG-FIA" (Hehehe) says that have to make a new model for each league, can't use last years. Not to mention any rule changes in out virtual AG racing universe.
    Last edited by Lance; 7th October 2008 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Merged two consecutive posts by same person. Read the rules.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Tekkenizer

regarding Design:
    - alternative background themes would be great
    - alternative background music (like in pulse)
    - possibility of playlistmixing like in pulse (custom and original tracks)
    - the 321 countdown is quite boring / doesnt fit somehow imo (imo!)
    - start / finishline is not visible enough in some tracks (like in Vineta K)

regarding Extras:
    - i miss those stats, too
    - i like the "profileview @onlinerankings" suggestion mentioned here before. For comparison purpose etc.
    - replay mode with telemetry data would be great
    - skin creator (despite the complexitiy it is asked for
    - ship editor (may be more complex than creating skins, but it would be great)

regarding Modes:
    - Eliminator
    - more options for online mode

Someone mentioned a 2 player splitcreen online mode. But if u think about it, you may come to conclusion that this wouldnt function properly- cause of the following reasons imo:
    - at the moment there can only be one player signed in at the PSN per console (so how to register the second player?)
    - 2 players online per console would mean to synchronise 2 players with the only connection u have. That would mean to manage code for 2 players with singleconnection

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Klax75

Couple of things I just thought of for new features.

Ship Mag-Lock: This could have a small duration and a longer cool down. Track Mag-Lock would still be there, but Ship Mag-Lock would be for sections of the track that are tubes, so you could turn in on, and go upside down to pass people. While engaged, you can't use any weapons.

Track Variations:
    Not just reverse tracks. Short, Default and Long versions of tracks. Where a short version maybe pushing lap times in the teens with Phantom, the long version maybe close to a minute per lap. So parts of the original tracks are there.

Craft Variations: I was thinking how there are 4 speed classes, why not have the craft in each class look different. Not drastically, so you can still tell who made the ship and that teams style. For Example a AG-Systems Venom, will not have as much wings, and down force as a AG-Systems Phantom version. This would play in to as in real racing a F3, GP2 and a F1 car all are open. They look similar but different. Where F3 and GP2 are lower leagues to get in to F1 kind of thing. Phantom would be the most advanced looking ship, most down force, the most venting and engines.

Advanced Ghost Lap: This feature would have telemetry, but also racing line, and air brake braking points. There could be one green line, for your racing line, and a gradient of color, on each side of the line to represent the use of a air brake and what side it was used and the length of the line for how long it was use.
    Last edited by klax75; 8th October 2008 at 01:01 AM.

Timezone
    GMT -8

I'd like to be able to view the leaderboards from a computer sorta like Pulse's.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Squallie

Quote Originally Posted by Tekkenizer View Post
    at the moment there can only be one player signed in at the PSN per console (so how to register the second player?)
    When you play more than one online in Little Big Planet you can either login as a guest or to another PSN account. So that should not be a problem at all.
    And if it where, just let the 2nd player play as "Guest" or the same nick as player 1 but with a number added to it.

2 players online per console would mean to synchronise 2 players with the only connection u have. That would mean to manage code for 2 players with singleconnection
    Then how can you play more than one online in other games? =P

- ship editor (may be more complex than creating skins ...)
    ... and the reward for 'understatement of the decade' goes to ...

Let's face it, building your own ship (and its stats) has never been part of the Wipeout experience, apart from the beefing-up feature in Fusion - which usually resulted in fleets of flying potatoes.

I think Clemens nailed it in the 1up video, when talking about giving users a Track Creation Tool. It's just not something we'll be handing over to the player anytime soon, mainly because of all the testing and balancing issues.

I think if you do a barrel roll in zone mode it shouldn't take any ship health and give you zone points instead, make it a risk reward system like the speed pads.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    darkfaerytales

an option to choice the number of contenders up to 12
    an option to choice the lap numbers as another our mate has pointed up would be nice

since a skin editor is impossible as we know from before the date of release , simple add some skin packs would be nice

some download contect would make an already perfect and amazing game even better

Timezone
    GMT -5

Quote Originally Posted by rushin View Post
    1) stop the host changing speed setting in existing rooms
    This is just wrong! if you want to race at a higher speed quit the room and join another, only thing this does is freak out/annoy everyone else there.

3) add text chat to lobby
    lots of times i want to say awesome race, or i'll start when we get another person, or whatever. some means of communication would be nice.
    I agree with these. In the first case, it might be nice if there weren't a speed choice in the settings at all; rather, four different speed lobbies.

And being without a headset, I frequently try to send messages to people in between races. But the way it's set up in the XMB, it takes forever, especially if all you're using is a gamepad -- I recently bought a $10 USB keyboard because of this and it still takes longer to send a message than I would like it to. What's worse is bringing up the XMB while races are loading seems to bring out bugs every now and then. I would love a lobby text chat as well as text chat in-between races at the results screen.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by vx69 View Post
    I think if you do a barrel roll in zone mode it shouldn't take any ship health and give you zone points instead, make it a risk reward system like the speed pads.
    This is a great idea. Or even let it take off ship health, just not as much -- a speed boost is enough of a risk... it seems weird for it to only exist in zone mode as a self-penalizing move.
    Last edited by captain howdy; 8th October 2008 at 05:02 PM.

PSN ID
    mdhay_wz

Yes, Zone mode is the equivalent of pulling the pin out of a grenade, but throwing the pin.

Timezone
    GMT -6

I think they should give us an option to turn off barrel rolls in zones. when i get to around zone 45 i always unintentionally do a barrel roll on Anulpha Pass. I am barely moving the stick but I do a barrel roll anyway. It pisses me off so much. It happens on the drop off every time. Each lap i lose at least 15 health because of those barrel rolls.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Klax75

I was thinking of more features I'd like to see.

Lap Number: For me the races are two incredible short, with no chance of fighting back and making up lost times, since the race will be over before then. One race on the start I hit the "Go" turbo yet the guy in front of me had lag or something and didn't move. So I got pin-balled backwards, effectively race over, since there wasn't enough time to make up the lost time. I'd love to be able to set the number of laps in a race. I've done the 99 lap speed lap several times. Having a 20-30 lap race would be great.

Speed Lap/Qualifying: For qualifications so they aren't just random. To be able to have a qualifying session. Now this session would be limited to 3 laps. All competitors would be on the track on at a time. The difference to a normal race, that all pilots would be a Ghost to each other so you can have a clean track to yourself, yet are on the track with all the other pilots. Since everyone is a ghost to each other you would be able to see each other lines see them on the track. Only giving 3 laps your best time would be your position for the start of the race. When setting up a tournament you would have a option to have qualifying or not, if you choose to. Then every track would automatically have the qualifying session before the start of the race.

Weapon Selection: A menu to start what weapons you want to spawn on track, each weapon could have a check box. So you can mix and match or just have default all weapons. Maybe I only want machine guns, and bombs. Or just Rockets only.

PSN ID
    mdhay_wz

Quake only lol.

I think you have found the obvious flaw in the weapon selection idea.

PSN ID
    mdhay_wz

Heh, soon enough 7 year olds will be banned from carpet shops.

Timezone
    GMT -8

I'd like to see some sort of Elimination-meets-Zone lovechild. Like a multiplayer Zone mode except with weapons maybe. How the change in Zone affects each player could be interesting. Mostly because I think Elimination mode is silly as is.