Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Things that would improve HD

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

The input is not fine IMHO. Tapping the airbrakes left-right-left, now that would be fine input. Goes off much quicker and doesn't keep you from steering in the air.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Klax75

Double tapping a single air brake when in mid air for example. Since Air brakes act as a Air Planes rudder now. Having to "Whip the Ponies" as your main steering input for a Barrel Roll, has always seem odd to me.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

You'd be surprised how often I need sideshift in mid-air, so I'd prefer tapping L-R-L airbrakes for BR...

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Belegurx

Quote Originally Posted by eLhabib View Post
    ...Tapping the airbrakes left-right-left, now that would be fine input...
    Thats Exactly the way it should be...

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Klax75

You'd be surprised how often I need sideshift in mid-air, so I'd prefer tapping L-R-L airbrakes for BR...
    Thinking about it I agree. Hate the main steering for barrel rolls. Even if it was a option to change it to Air Brake would be great.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Flashback_Jack

The input is not fine IMHO.
    Not fine for you. This isn't about the barrel rolls. Factoring pilot ability out of the argument, there's nothing to fault them on, so if anyone can find fault, I'd like to hear about it.

Quote Originally Posted by klax75 View Post
    . Hate the main steering for barrel rolls. Even if it was a option to change it to Air Brake would be great.
    I personally don't think so. If that were the case, it would be a smashfest for me barrel rolling into the bend on Talon's Junction White and Metropia Black. I've personally never had a need to sideshift in the air, but in the above two cases, I do need the immediate effect of mid-air airbraking to avoid being a casualty due to wall. The direction pad simply isn't sufficient in those cases.

- F
    Last edited by Flashback Jack; 5th October 2008 at 11:45 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

Ignoring the fact that you are obviously feeling super-skilled, I think the current input method is quite restrictive:

- it has been reported from various pilots that it does not work 100% of the time, even if input is correct and there's enough time

- it gets in the way of steering your ship when airborne

- even more so, it can go off accidentally when you're just correcting your trajectory

- while it's rather easy to execute cleanly with the Dpad, it's quite messy with the analog, and no, I wont adjust myself to Dpad control now, and switching to Dpad just for the BRs is not an option

- for someone who does not want to use the motion sensor for pitch (for whatever reason, be it because he prefers to play while lying down, and the controller would be in the wrong angle to pitch effectively with motion), it is practically impossible to pitch and BR at the same time

Enough reasons for you? The solution to all abovementioned problems is switching the BR input (optionally) to the airbrake buttons.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Flashback_Jack

Enough reasons for you?
    Not at the moment, because without the option of switching barrel rolls to the input one finds most comfortable, the entirety of this debate circles back to a contest pitting those that can do them against those that can't, for whatever their reasons. As an analog user, your argument is legitimate, but then it becomes a contest of does one adapt to using the direction pad to solve his problems, offer the option of remapping one's controls, or have the method of input changed entirely?

The only half-way point in this contest is to offer the player the option of remapping his controls for that purpose as you say. That I could live with as a d-pad user who takes no issue with barrel rolls, but we need to remind ourselves that barrel rolls themselves aren't the problem. Those in your position need to make up your minds about what you want -- either you want them removed or you want an easier means of executing them given your preference for the analog stick. I could probably say one thing with some certainty -- of the nearly 2,300 members here, I know of only two people that use or have used non-Negcon analog -- yourself and Lunar, and as far as I recall, Lunar holds the same opinion on barrel rolls that you do; you're in the minority.

I understand this about your position -- as an analog user you want to equal the playing field with respect to barrel rolls. I'm not sure how switching input to the airbrakes for those would serve to do that, because I can see there still being a disparity in the number of rolls landed using the airbrakes versus those using the d-pad. Barrel rolling d-pad users will likely succeed more frequently, causing them to come out on top in the long run. I find it hard enough to land barrel rolls on the first jump on Vineta K; I could only imagine how much more difficult it would be to do so with the airbrakes.

But I personally think switching the barrel rolls to the airbrakes would kill off the fine mid-air control I've become used to. The direction pad simply can't cut it for the kind of last second mid-air maneuvers a hotlapper might be familar with boosting out of the Synchro loop on Talon White into the bend, or on Metropia Black, into the bend. For example. In those cases, I use the airbrakes in mid-air to avoid slamming into the walls. That's one major functional tradeoff I can think of if barrel rolls were on the airbrakes. To solve that tradeoff, track design would have to ensure there are no instances where there are sharp inclines that ultimately lead to bends like in Talon White and Metropia Black. Frankly, those tracks would not at all flow smoothly because, in my experience, the direction pad doesn't afford the hard turning response of mid-air braking and I sure as hell don't want Wipeout turning into a Mortal Kombat-style combo fest just to link a turn into a barrel roll if I elect to use the airbrake for hard mid-air turns. We must consider the repercussions of such changes, things that could conceivably alter the core gameplay for the worst.

- F
    Last edited by Flashback Jack; 6th October 2008 at 01:48 AM.

here are a couple of things, besides more tracks, options yada yada:

1. eliminator

2. removal of the weird pause in the countdown, after playing single player, this is confusing and odd: 3,2,1......massive pause......go!

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Klax75

We have been saying this would be optional, for people that want to use the buttons not the stick to barrel roll. You prefer the current method and thats great. But why can't there be choices in control methods. Instead of my way or no way. Every points seems to be that, because you like the controls that shouldn't ever change, and that is the only way it should ever be.

For me I've never liked Barrel Rolls at all. It's like some racing games, that have short cuts to the tracks I hate those to, since the short cut comes down to being the only way to do the track, taking away from the game for me. So if you have want to do any sort of quick laps, you have to spam barrel rolls.

All my posts have been about the PS3 version of WipeOut and this thread is for the HD version. Why is it wrong to have multiple ways to control your craft? Sure not everyone is going to like using the air brake Left, Right Left for Barrel rolls. But the choice should be there.

I have played several times in WOHD that I go to do a barrel roll and nothing at all happens. I quickly whip the ponies yet nothing. Then in the same practice, I do the sticks not nearly as fast and I do a barrel roll when I didn't want it to.

Timezone
    GMT + 10

An idea I would quite like to see implemented in the future along with a team online function would be to have a split screen team online feature.

This would mean that two players playing in split screen would be able to play as a two player team online. You would be able to easily discuss tactics with your teammate as they would be sitting close to you.

Races could be conducted with up to four (or more if hardware and servers allowed) and in tournaments the points earned by each player during the race would be added to that of the teammate.

The players could also be made immune to weapon attacks from teamates, or a penalty system could be introduced for such attacks.

PSN ID
    The_Better_Man

Default skins

I'd like to see a skin creator like in Pulse. I loved that, particularly online. the grids always looked different.
    I'm not sure how large the texture files are and whether it would affect online play much, but I would have thought it possible?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

Well, regarding skins, look at this and this. Quite understandable that they're not giving the possibility to alter skins to the player, don't you think? This is a bit more delicate than the Pulse skins, after all
    Last edited by eLhabib; 6th October 2008 at 09:55 PM.

PSN ID
    The_Better_Man

wicked eLhabib, where did you get those? I know what you mean, they are obviously more complicated, but no more than the average flight sim.

I think it'd really personalise online races. I know I spent ages on a red Assegai skin on pulse. Making little scraches and scuffs... I was at uni so had far too much free time

CL, I don't know if you've seen the post yet, but our member, 'Egg' [Jon Egleton] is the creator of the racecraft designs for HD, and has said that there will be no skin editor for this game because, IIRC, the skin textures are too complex, and the number of polygons involved is too great for a usable skin editor to be practical.

PSN ID
    love9sick

Elimination and Zone modes online. Also the ability to choose the amount of laps for single race and tournaments would be appreciated. Some more customizing for online would be great like limiting the race to only missiles for example...just to always change things up a bit.

PSN ID
    Highlander23

Quote Originally Posted by Lance View Post
    the number of polygons involved is too great for a usable skin editor to be practical.
    IIRC from the 1Up interview, in the order of 400,000

the speed of the game is considerable faster than pure. sebenco is about 12 seconds faster for phantom with similar races. I have been playing pure, pulse, and hd all on the tv, and that is probably where it might look slower to everyone playing right on the psp. I believe it moves a little faster than pulse, but someone needs to test this out on moa therma to get a real comparison since metropia has been changed

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Hi Al, I did some TTs on Moa Therma and I think HD is slower than Pulse. And certainly slower than Pulse with speedmod. In the ghosts thread I already said that HD is faster then Pure, just look at the SL and TT times of Vineta K from everyone.

So HD would improve with more speed for me, at least a bit more faster than Pulse!

Quote Originally Posted by Lance View Post
    CL, I don't know if you've seen the post yet, but our member, 'egg' [Jon Egleton] is the creator of the racecraft designs for HD, and has said that there will be no skin editor for this game because, IIRC, the skin textures are too complex, and the number of polygons involved is too great for a usable skin editor to be practical.
    I didn't build and texture the HD models, though (apart from the first 'pass' on the Assegai and Auricom). They're just based on my blocky old Pulse designs. The Pulse ships were created from the ground up with a regimented texture layout, specifically with customisation in mind. There was never any intention of customising the HD ships - it would've added more development time to what was a very short project, in PS3 terms - so Rob, Dave and Dean were free to lay their textures out however they wanted.