Thread: Things that would improve HD

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    PSN ID
    rushinmonkey

Default Things that would improve HD

somewhat pretentious title, sorry about that some suggestions anyways

1) stop the host changing speed setting in existing rooms
    This is just wrong! if you want to race at a higher speed quit the room and join another, only thing this does is freak out/annoy everyone else there.

2) the grinding to a halt penalty is a bit too harsh for online races
    I guess this one is subjective, but it seems to me it just creates a very polar situation where whoever manages to get ahead early on will win. its all but impossible to catch up after you have been hit a couple of times. Today i was hit by a missile, i went flying into the wall over a mine. literally took me 3 or 4 seconds to even start moving. its anti competitive i tell ya

3) add text chat to lobby
    lots of times i want to say awesome race, or i'll start when we get another person, or whatever. some means of communication would be nice.

4) add friends direct from lobby/game rooms

sure there were more, but my eyes have stopped bleeding now so i better get back to playing

[EDIT] 5) if i fall off the edge i spend a lot of time falling off a second/third time as the game restarts you waaaay too fast. back in the WO3 days the little droid would drop you off nicely giving you time to find your bearings. you might say meh rushin get some skills but then you have to apply that to another 80% of the people playing. It's frustrating, not in a 'ooohhh this is hard i'll practice more' way, but 'bollocks not again'
    Last edited by rushin; 3rd October 2008 at 10:48 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    TheFrostE

i like the idea of text chat with KB in lobbies, because so much of the PSN community doesn't have headsets. SL has already done an amazing job with this one and have made us proud to be wipeout fans...and im sure they will update and add as time goes.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I agree with the changing of speed class as I choose which craft I'm going to use for the supposedly AGREED speed.

Nothing worse than to find yourself totally uncompetitive because your craft choice does not suit the NEW speed.

Whatever about grinding to a halt, there is something not quite working with the overall mechanic of competitive racing in that you are absolutely right that whoever gets an early lead has a massive advantage and it can be nigh on impossible to catch up when you're in the blast zone in the middle.

And it's really hard to know what could possibly be done to make that situation better. It's a natural result of the weapons - those in front don't have to worry about mines or bombs, those behind do. Those in the middle take the brunt of the weapons fire from behind and in front. If you're in the middle, even close to the front, you can't really take a huge amount of chances or your shields will give out. If you're right in front, you can pretty much race it like a time trial, increasing your lead and giving you safety from everything except a quake.

Like I say, I actually have no idea how that could be made better.

^ I think what you just said is the reason Nintendo puts Blue shells in Mario Kart. It helps to stop that happening, and in first place you cant just race along like a time trial regardless of the battles between other players and their weapon play between each other because you always run the risk of getting blue-shelled, so you can be caught up. However, the blue shell is unpopular with a lot of people so its a lose-lose really.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Belegurx

Blue shells... lol... i remember a Missile on... WOFusion? WO3? cant remember... that went directly to the leader too... it could be usefull for online races...

But what i mostly miss on this WOHD is the complete stats option from the previous fusion, pure or pulse, that even told u the time u spent watching the stats... i miss a lot to see how many weapons i used, wich ones most, laps on every curse... that kind of things... and an update 1.1 including that would be quite easy i guess...
    Last edited by Belegurx; 4th October 2008 at 11:12 PM. Reason: .

here are a couple of things, besides more tracks, options yada yada:

1. eliminator

2. removal of the weird pause in the countdown, after playing single player, this is confusing and odd: 3,2,1......massive pause......go!

Timezone
    GMT -5

Quote Originally Posted by rushin View Post
    1) stop the host changing speed setting in existing rooms
    This is just wrong! if you want to race at a higher speed quit the room and join another, only thing this does is freak out/annoy everyone else there.

3) add text chat to lobby
    lots of times i want to say awesome race, or i'll start when we get another person, or whatever. some means of communication would be nice.
    I agree with these. In the first case, it might be nice if there weren't a speed choice in the settings at all; rather, four different speed lobbies.

And being without a headset, I frequently try to send messages to people in between races. But the way it's set up in the XMB, it takes forever, especially if all you're using is a gamepad -- I recently bought a $10 USB keyboard because of this and it still takes longer to send a message than I would like it to. What's worse is bringing up the XMB while races are loading seems to bring out bugs every now and then. I would love a lobby text chat as well as text chat in-between races at the results screen.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by vx69 View Post
    I think if you do a barrel roll in zone mode it shouldn't take any ship health and give you zone points instead, make it a risk reward system like the speed pads.
    This is a great idea. Or even let it take off ship health, just not as much -- a speed boost is enough of a risk... it seems weird for it to only exist in zone mode as a self-penalizing move.
    Last edited by captain howdy; 8th October 2008 at 05:02 PM.

PSN ID
    mdhay_wz

Yes, Zone mode is the equivalent of pulling the pin out of a grenade, but throwing the pin.

Timezone
    GMT -6

I think they should give us an option to turn off barrel rolls in zones. when i get to around zone 45 i always unintentionally do a barrel roll on Anulpha Pass. I am barely moving the stick but I do a barrel roll anyway. It pisses me off so much. It happens on the drop off every time. Each lap i lose at least 15 health because of those barrel rolls.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Klax75

I was thinking of more features I'd like to see.

Lap Number: For me the races are two incredible short, with no chance of fighting back and making up lost times, since the race will be over before then. One race on the start I hit the "Go" turbo yet the guy in front of me had lag or something and didn't move. So I got pin-balled backwards, effectively race over, since there wasn't enough time to make up the lost time. I'd love to be able to set the number of laps in a race. I've done the 99 lap speed lap several times. Having a 20-30 lap race would be great.

Speed Lap/Qualifying: For qualifications so they aren't just random. To be able to have a qualifying session. Now this session would be limited to 3 laps. All competitors would be on the track on at a time. The difference to a normal race, that all pilots would be a Ghost to each other so you can have a clean track to yourself, yet are on the track with all the other pilots. Since everyone is a ghost to each other you would be able to see each other lines see them on the track. Only giving 3 laps your best time would be your position for the start of the race. When setting up a tournament you would have a option to have qualifying or not, if you choose to. Then every track would automatically have the qualifying session before the start of the race.

Weapon Selection: A menu to start what weapons you want to spawn on track, each weapon could have a check box. So you can mix and match or just have default all weapons. Maybe I only want machine guns, and bombs. Or just Rockets only.

PSN ID
    mdhay_wz

Quake only lol.

Allow the host to time trial while waiting for some people to enter his tourney or race, flash someone has entered the room on the screen, then you can leave the tt