Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Things that would improve HD

PSN ID
    rushinmonkey

Default Things that would improve HD

somewhat pretentious title, sorry about that some suggestions anyways

1) stop the host changing speed setting in existing rooms
    This is just wrong! if you want to race at a higher speed quit the room and join another, only thing this does is freak out/annoy everyone else there.

2) the grinding to a halt penalty is a bit too harsh for online races
    I guess this one is subjective, but it seems to me it just creates a very polar situation where whoever manages to get ahead early on will win. its all but impossible to catch up after you have been hit a couple of times. Today i was hit by a missile, i went flying into the wall over a mine. literally took me 3 or 4 seconds to even start moving. its anti competitive i tell ya

3) add text chat to lobby
    lots of times i want to say awesome race, or i'll start when we get another person, or whatever. some means of communication would be nice.

4) add friends direct from lobby/game rooms

sure there were more, but my eyes have stopped bleeding now so i better get back to playing

[EDIT] 5) if i fall off the edge i spend a lot of time falling off a second/third time as the game restarts you waaaay too fast. back in the WO3 days the little droid would drop you off nicely giving you time to find your bearings. you might say meh rushin get some skills but then you have to apply that to another 80% of the people playing. It's frustrating, not in a 'ooohhh this is hard i'll practice more' way, but 'bollocks not again'
    Last edited by rushin; 3rd October 2008 at 11:48 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    TheFrostE

i like the idea of text chat with KB in lobbies, because so much of the PSN community doesn't have headsets. SL has already done an amazing job with this one and have made us proud to be wipeout fans...and im sure they will update and add as time goes.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I agree with the changing of speed class as I choose which craft I'm going to use for the supposedly AGREED speed.

Nothing worse than to find yourself totally uncompetitive because your craft choice does not suit the NEW speed.

Whatever about grinding to a halt, there is something not quite working with the overall mechanic of competitive racing in that you are absolutely right that whoever gets an early lead has a massive advantage and it can be nigh on impossible to catch up when you're in the blast zone in the middle.

And it's really hard to know what could possibly be done to make that situation better. It's a natural result of the weapons - those in front don't have to worry about mines or bombs, those behind do. Those in the middle take the brunt of the weapons fire from behind and in front. If you're in the middle, even close to the front, you can't really take a huge amount of chances or your shields will give out. If you're right in front, you can pretty much race it like a time trial, increasing your lead and giving you safety from everything except a quake.

Like I say, I actually have no idea how that could be made better.

^ I think what you just said is the reason Nintendo puts Blue shells in Mario Kart. It helps to stop that happening, and in first place you cant just race along like a time trial regardless of the battles between other players and their weapon play between each other because you always run the risk of getting blue-shelled, so you can be caught up. However, the blue shell is unpopular with a lot of people so its a lose-lose really.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Belegurx

Blue shells... lol... i remember a Missile on... WOFusion? WO3? cant remember... that went directly to the leader too... it could be usefull for online races...

But what i mostly miss on this WOHD is the complete stats option from the previous fusion, pure or pulse, that even told u the time u spent watching the stats... i miss a lot to see how many weapons i used, wich ones most, laps on every curse... that kind of things... and an update 1.1 including that would be quite easy i guess...
    Last edited by Belegurx; 5th October 2008 at 12:12 AM. Reason: .

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Wip3ou7pure

I would like stat tracking also...
    More importantly I'd like for the mic problem to be fixed.... the game should not freeze for any period of time when u press the mic button.... that is ludicrous and I'm glad I haven't hit it accidently yet or I'd be seriously po'd.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    radiumx

If bombs were persistent as they were in Pure they could help slow leaders down.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Flashback_Jack

Well, after playing HD for a few hours earlier today, the only thing S.L. needs to do is make Phantom Phantom again -- the fastest class feels somewhere between Flash and Rapier this time. Gimme some Zen or Super Zen, thanks.

I like HD a lot; it's a very impressive piece of work -- but for that raw, visceral feel of racing, my heart is still with Pulse. Perhaps that will change when I score my own copy of HD and put more time into it, but I've yet to be convinced.

EDIT: Oh, and they need to un-nerf the barrel rolls. Pure was a constant nightmare when it came to critical shields; HD appears to have restored that peril. To each is own I suppose, but can't say I'm a fan of it.

- F
    Last edited by Flashback Jack; 5th October 2008 at 03:41 AM.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

You probably already know this, Flashback, but shield energy refills constantly (and quickly) when you are playing time trial and speed lap modes-- so for hot lapping, you can barrel roll as much as you want

I agree with you about the speed of the game, WOHD definitely seems slower than Pulse and even Pure.

I'm enjoying WOHD a lot-- bought my PS3 just recently so that I could play this game-- but in the end I expect I will slightly prefer the handheld games. I love portable gaming, and there is so much great content in Pure and Pulse. I do appreciate using the more powerful console, however, and a more seemless online system.