Thread: Using older Sci Fi Racer's music in HD

Default Using older Sci Fi Racer's music in HD

Hello, i just wanted to ask if anyone knows the status on Extreme G's music copyright...

I have a lot of tracks from Extreme G (N64) and Extreme G 3 (PS2), that i ripped my self from the games, the music fits extremely well in HD, im just asking if it is legal to share it.
    Acclaim is owned by another company now and as far as i know they dont even make the same games anymore.

Anyways, if it is legal to share it, i can upload it for anyone that is interested.

Im also in the process of ripping Wipeout's Fusion music (via Optical so the quality will be top notch) for myself and possibly others if there is no legal issues.

Thanks

PSN ID
    Axellink

I doubt it's legal but send me a email mate. We need to talk .

axel_kickass@yahoo.co.uk

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    ninedeeb

That would be awesome if you could get the music for Extreme G to dl. I loved that game even though it was an apparent ripoff of wipeout. It was the only thing I had, because I couldn't afford both N64 and PS in the nineties

Same here, i loved XG, and the music is printed in my memory, it is an awesome experience to play Wipeout HD with that music
    Last edited by Lance; 1st October 2008 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Redundant quotation removed. Read the WZ guidelines.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Redundant quotation removed. Read the WZ guidelines.

-------

Doesn't matter whether the new ownership still makes the game or not; they still own the copyright and copyright law applies.

PSN ID
    The_Better_Man

Default F-zero x!

I'm using F-Zero X music and it's awesome! So weird to have HD visuals with retro sound.

'Dream Chaser' and 'Endless Challenge' are particularly good.

(By the way the music is by Taro Bando and Hajime Wakai)

PSN ID
    love9sick

I liked Extreme G3 a little bit and I have "needle juice" and "Energy Flow" tracks already in my Wipeout HD play list. The other ones didn't appeal as much.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

ExtremeG 3 was maybe the closest any other racing game franchise has ever come to the wipEout series. I absolutely loved it, and I sometimes wish there was that sweet sonic boom in wipEout...

Quote Originally Posted by eLhabib View Post
    ExtremeG 3 was maybe the closest any other racing game franchise has ever come to the wipEout series. I absolutely loved it, and I sometimes wish there was that sweet sonic boom in wipEout...

Oh how i remember that, it was amazing, on the later levels you didnt even need to boost in order to enter "sonic boost", there was something so magical about the music getting muted and just hearing wind tunnels.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    AG-Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by Lance View Post
    Doesn't matter whether the new ownership still makes the game or not; they still own the copyright and copyright law applies.
    But this is where legal grey areas arise. Nobody is going to track someone down and arrest them if they sat and recorded music from some arbitrary videogame and then put it online.... otherwise nintendo could sue millions of people for having the ****ing Super Mario Brothers theme on their computer or something ridiculous like that

There are not swarms of lawyers from every videogame production house (especially not ones that are out of business, like Acclaim) crawling the net looking for some devious child who happened to download a couple songs that they could have just as easilly recorded themselves.

If the music was released on a pressed soundtrack CD, I can understand being a little more concerned, because then the "what if" scenario holds a little more weight. ie; someone here wanted the F-Zero X music... FZX had two official soundtracks released; to include links to music ripped from the soundtracks would definitely be bad. But if Joe Schmo (from Idaho, hur hur hur... sorry) randomly hooked his N64 up to the computer and recoded MP3s to post online, that's a different story (unfortunately the FZX music from the actual game is only in mono format). It's no different than recording Azure Lake from Sonic 3, or the title screen music from Lotus III (or you could just convert the .mod file), or Jammin Jungle from Bomberman 94.

My previous post, which magically disappeared *cough*, was to a .USF rip of the music from Extreme-G. It's no different than a .GYM file from a Genesis game, an .SPC file from an SNES game. It's merely emulation of the host consoles' sound driver/chip... and if it were illegal, Zophar would have been taken down long long ago. Matter of fact, their amusingly brief legal page sums it up quite nicely:
    http://www.zophar.net/legal.html

On top of that, no independent profit is being made from the redistribution, no developer/producer profit is being lost (because the game is no longer for sale, and the composer already got paid for his work), no changes have been made to the original song.

if someone wants the Extreme-G music, at least from the N64 titles before they started using licensed music, just google "Extreme G USF" (or kirby music, Kirby SPC, or the F-Zero GPL music, F-Zero GSF... etc. Formats exist for all consoles)

If someone wants the F-Zero X music.. either download the mono .USF file pack, or buy one of the two official soundtracks.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

I might use some music of Kinetica, now that I finally managed to obtain it with Audacity and a handy stereo cable Some of that music is awesome.