Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Full SIXAXIS pilots, advice & experiences.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Amon69it

Default Full SIXAXIS pilots, advice & experiences.

In my mind this should be a thread where the ones who follow the path of full sixaxis control share their experiences and tips.

I'm going down this road from the first moment in wipeout hd. I've been chosing the no barrel roll road too.

In the first hour it was a complete mess. Now i'm feeling in full control at flash speed in almost any tracks. I achieved gold in all the first tree tournaments but a zone in last one where i'm stuck at silver.

But approaching Rapier class, i'm starting to think that there is no way to play in a proficient way with sixaxis control. The problem is that i have no reference and i cant undertand if it's me, or if it'a problem with this control metod. It feels like there is simply not enough precision to place the ship where you want in the short period of time you have at your disposal.

I've been playing with sensitivity a lot and i've come to this conclusion. As speeds go up, you have to up sensitivity. Track configurations count too.

At venom 40 % worked well. At flash i upped at 50 % and now at rapier i'm at 60 %.

What do you guys think ? Is there someone on full sixaxis control who's doing well ar rapier speeds ?

Thanks !

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Squallie

I cant see how motion sensor would be enough for phantom or even rapier. Its fun at venom and maybe flash. But I stopped using it early because I knew it wouldnt last in the long run.

I love it in Motorstorm though, but that game is so slow. Thats why it works.

And I dont like that people call it "sixaxis". xD

PSN ID
    ByteHawk

tried it, then dumped it.

just yesterday I tried it again. With full courage I started up zone with motion controll. Sufficient to say I didn't last long, even after a few restarts. Guess it's not meant for me...

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

Tried it briefly for the Trophy, but man do I NOT have the patience for this. It might be quite fun at lower speeds once you learn it, but it's just not worth the time for me when I can get tons of fun out of the game instantly by using 'normal' controls...

Congrats on mastering it in Flash, though - something I could never do.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Amon69it

Thank you

Once you nail it ( in my humble opinion and speaking of feeling only ) its so much better than the classic analog. It's quite "negconesque"

I'm really hoping that someone comes in this thread saying that it's possible to be consistent and having decent speeds at rapier and more.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

I think the problem with really high speeds is that there is a slight delay between the motion input and the reaction on screen. You don't notice it on Venom, but at Phantom it kills your line.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Amon69it

I think i will have to give a try at analog controls then.

As if barrell rolls where not enough

Thank you

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

Certainly didn't mean to discourage you from perfecting your motion control skills!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Amon69it

You know, yesterday i tried vineta k Time Trial at raptor speed.
    It took me 2 hours ( literally ) to be at 1 tenth from silver.

Considering that this challenge comes at the fourth tournament i must understand if it's a matter of the player not being good enough or if it'a a question of control method.

Because if it's doable i can continue to give it a shot... but if it is not i need to move on.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

Well why don't you try on any given track how fast you can go with 'normal' controls, and then try to achieve that time with motion controls. That way, you will clearly see if motion control is valuable or not.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Amon69it

This is a logical way to go.

Thx.

------

Well i'm giving analog controls a go now, flash class. It looks much easier and so in the end ( expecially on "long" runs ) faster.

It's a pity because the feeling is much worse. I think everibody who miss the negcom felling should give full sixaxis control, just for the joy of it.
    Last edited by Lance; 30th September 2008 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Redundant quotation eliminated and two successive posts by same user merged.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    netsan

What I like about it is that both control are one in the same time (motion + stick).
    This way I use a natural miw of both : motion when I have a little trajectory correction and stick in sharp turns.
    It feels really natural to me and I love it !

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Amon69it

This is another approach that i could follow. Thinking about that , now that im trying normal analogic controls, while being faster, i miss "sixaxis" controls in certain situations.

I'll give this approach a try, thanks for the heads up.

I've only been playing with the sixaxis (default 60%) and it works great for me, you can definately control rapier speeds once you get the hang of it.
    I suggest speed lapping round a track untill you get into the rhythm of it.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Miths000

Quote Originally Posted by Yome NetSan View Post
    What I like about it is that both control are one in the same time (motion + stick).
    This way I use a natural miw of both : motion when I have a little trajectory correction and stick in sharp turns.
    It feels really natural to me and I love it !
    That's not a bad idea actually - I have a tendency to over correct wildly with the analogue stick after contact with a wall.
    On the other hand, previous experiments have shown that I don't exactly have a delicate touch when it comes to motion controls either .

I think I'll give it a shot though.

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    NZLion

I found that I was able to get golds without too much trouble at flash speeds with sixaxis controls. but I just can't do it at rapier.
    I cranked it up to (I think it was) 80% just to do flash.

The combination of the two modes is not a bad idea though. might play with that for a while and see how I get on

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    TheFrostE

used it...very un-responsive at high speed classes, almost to the point of being a broken feature

PSN ID
    Yagya

in a comparison video i saw a while back it showed a new player and an experience player using the motion controls. the experienced player used a hybrid of both motion turning/pitching and the d-pad for trickier turns. i think that's probably the strongest route to go.

i don't have a ps3 or w-HD, so i can't confirm if it's intuitive to play that way or not. hopefully my roommate will finally buy the ps3 he wants and i'll buy HD. haha

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    Sugar_from_OTW

I'm upto the fourth grid in campagin. I thought I'd give motion controls a go, so I did a speed lap with the d-pad (vinita k, venom), and tried to beat it by using motion controls. I got close after about 30 laps, but I got frustrated. I'll have another go later on.

I've never really played wipeout without the dpad though, so that might be an issue for me. The analoge control bothers me because I can't accelerate/brake with the right stick (not that there's much accelerating/braking in wipeout, but it's seems very awkward).

PSN ID
    The_Better_Man

Default One handed Wipeout...

After a motorcycle accident, I can't use my left thumb/hand for a few weeks. This has left me no choice but to play using only my right hand with SIXAXIS (I'm left handed too!).

I felt like giving up but boredom and determination have enabled me to post some good times at Phantom level. (currently 60th global on Moa Therma).

I can't wait to get back to the stick though. In fact I can't wait to have my good hand back! But it goes to show the feature works very well and is far from "broken".
    I've had to change left airbrake to L1 because of my current 'one-handedness'. Works well though. Big thanks to the developers.