Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sebenco Reverse is the new Citta Nuova

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

Default Sebenco Reverse is the new Citta Nuova

After some intense playtime on the reverse tracks (trying to get the Arcade Perfect Trophy) I really grew to like some of them. Metropia Reverse IMHO is far better than forward, with the blind turn after the vertical climb, and the speedy downhill to the finish. Vineta K, Moa Therma and Anulpha Pass lend themselves perfectly for reverse racing. Ubermall, Sol2 and Chenghou are really tricky to learn at first, but provide for interesting gameplay and a pretty good flow when you know them (although not as great as their forward versions).

Sebenco, however... no. Simply no. This attempt at a track isn't exactly enjoyable even at slow speeds, but at phantom, it's a ****ing joke. Seriously, if SL are aware that Citta Nuova didn't work all that great as a track, how did Sebenco Reverse pass? Citta was smooth as silk compared to this! I've done more laps on Sebenco Reverse than on any other track so far, because I thought maybe I just need to learn it properly, but it just isn't good. Sorry, Sebenco Climb Reverse in my book is the worst track in wipEout history, and since I somehow managed to luckily get 4 APs in one race and win this track on Phantom Elite, I now never have to race it again. Ever. Thank God.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    zerojay

Reverse is the one that goes downhill, right? Starts with the chicane? I really really enjoy the downhill version, whereas the uphill forwards version is just hell on earth. :/

I have to admit I haven't given the reverse tracks much of a go yet. I quite enjoyed Vineta K in reverse and obviously I knew from Pulse that Metropia and Moa Therma worked fine in reverse but Chengou and, yes, Sebenco Climb didn't seem to work for me at all. They both felt really awkward. But that could well change over time.

Didn't they say at some point that the reason there weren't going to be reverse tracks initally was because some of the Pure tracks really didn't work well in reverse? Or did I make that up?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

I like Sebenco reverse a lot Call me a masochist, but I had no trouble beating the Elite AI on Phantom. Thats one of the tracks where they are actually slower than on others, so they're quite easy (Quite, because you still have to know the track and not crash too hard).

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Rubix42

To each their own. If I'm ever hosting a game you're in, I will not put it up to play.

Personally, I adore Sebenco Reverse. It feels like a PS1 track because of all the air you get just racing over the terrain.

Especially on Phantom, you can nose up and fly over the Chicane. And then the hill and final turn into the finish line, I always have to make that turn in mid-air!

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    taqili

Quote Originally Posted by Darkdrium777 View Post
    I like Sebenco reverse a lot Call me a masochist, but I had no trouble beating the Elite AI on Phantom. Thats one of the tracks where they are actually slower than on others, so they're quite easy (Quite, because you still have to know the track and not crash too hard).
    I like your opinions a lot it seems. Sebenco forwards is the worst thing ever, but reverse makes me feel like an olympic bobsledder! I can't even come close to touching the AI on forwards, but on reverse they are not too bad.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

Sebenco reverse is like a rollercoaster! Hell I love it!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Miths000

I tried Sebenco reverse for the first time last night and I actually found it really enjoyable as well, and quite a bit easier to navigate than the forward version.
    I didn't try phantom speed however, only up to rapier.

PSN ID
    Casshern1981

I have issues with the regular track, it's the only track where i struggle against the AI....Practice makes perfect right ?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    zerojay

Yeah, I'm having a very hard time coming in anything other than 7th on that track even against just skilled and not wrecking left and right.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Quote Originally Posted by Dogg Thang View Post
    and obviously I knew from Pulse that Metropia and Moa Therma worked fine in reverse
    No, you didn't. ;] They didn't even put Metropia White into HD. They just made better graphics for Metropia Black and reversed it - no more alternate routes like on PSP.
    I feel like all alternate tracks have been rushed and are redundant. If they weren't, why don't they even appear in Campaign Mode - again: like they did on PSP?

Probably sounds worse than it is, but seriously: Pulse gave us additional tracks - HD gives us unimaginative "go-the-other-ways". To me, they aren't even a nice addition for whoever needs it. Instead, they make the overall experience seem less faithful.

Ben

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

While I don't see it as critically as you - it's better than only having 8 forward tracks, after all - I second the notion of your post. The only reverse tracks I really enjoy are Vineta K and Metropia, the rest is clearly a lot better in the original direction, and makes the reverse version feel like a ripoff.

Funny though that so many people seem to enjoy Sebenco Reverse - really didn't expect that! Tastes do differ, after all...

PSN ID
    mdhay_wz

I agree [Albeit not completely] eL, but saying that it's the new Citta Nuova is like someone who suffers from amnesia saying "Deja vu?" without considering Outpost 7. Although, if you were to consider Spilskinanke....

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

I never layed eyes on Outpost 7 (boycotted Pulse), and hey, leave Spilskinanke out of this - it was tough, but very smooth.
    The issue I am having with Seb Reverse is that the game's physics just don't fit with the flow (if you can call it that) of the track.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Rubix42

That I can agree with. You fly over the chicane on Phantom, you basically fly down on the last half of each lap. It is indeed a very strange change of pace from all the other courses.

I think that is why I love it so much. But then again, I am a sucker for really technical tracks. Figuring out the best lines for a course like Sebenco is way more enjoyable for me than trying to catch times on a place like Anulpha.

eL, the very words of your thread title passed through my mind when I first played Sebenco Reverse. I agree! But as to whether I like it I don`t know yet; haven`t done enough on it to come to a conclusion.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

I am a sucker for very technical tracks as well, I absolutely love Chenghou (both ways), Sebenco (forward), Sol2 (both ways), Ubermall (both ways). It's not the technical bit that I don't like about Sebenco Reverse, it's the fact that you are bouncing around like a pinball all the time, even if you pick a nice line. It's very obvious that when this track was designed for Pure, nobody ever thought of the possibility to reverse it. I would very much like to know if the developers are happy with how it turned out in reverse...

PSN ID
    infoxicated

I thought it was pretty cool coming back down the mountain when I played it for the first time tonight, but I agree that it just doesn't work very well in that direction. Generally I don't like reverse tracks at all.

On the original Ridge Racer, I used to turn around and race in the opposite direction [WRONG WAY!] toward the other cars. Just for fun.

Completely and utterly agree with you eL. I've been boning up on the reverse tracks recently, and Sebenco Climb Reverse does not work. No natural ebb and flow, just hard right, avoid wall, hard left, avoid wall. It is abundandtly clear that the feel of the track in it's reverse form was given no consideration when designed forwards (and forwards it is one of my favourites).

Edit: Just seen your post on this page eLhabib- didn't mean to echo you, I genuinely only read the original post before feeling compelled to reply. Great minds think alike, right?
    Last edited by fusionfrenzy; 29th September 2008 at 10:17 PM.