Thread: The audio thrust from beyond

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Soccermums

Default The audio thrust from beyond

Given all the threads praising the 60 fps 1080p experience, I felt the need to create a thread dedicated to the jaw dropping 5.1 sound in Wipeout HD.
    Truely, the surround experience from HD is the best, I have had in any game.
    1) The sound effects are clear, distinct, smooth and fits perfectly with the theme.
    2) The surround mixing is out of this world; Yes, they are over-the-top, but then again so is the rest of the game. Apart from the first carriage-shooting scene in "3:10 to Yuma" with the DTS master audio track, I haven't had this good a surround experience on my home theater setup.
    3) The integration of music is also superb. Both the HD track itself and your own playlists gets integrated seamlessly into the game. I love the effects when you get hit, are shielded, in the air ... etc. It doesn't get annoying and I haven't found myself wanting to turn off the music effects.

Anyhow, I just wanted to make a shout-out to the audio producers on Wipeout HD. I couldn't have asked for more.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Flashback_Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Soccermom View Post
    I love the effects when you get hit, are shielded, in the air ... etc.
    Based on what was explained in reviews, I know what happens to the music when you're shielded and catch airtime (takes on a liquid quality and fades out respectively), but what happens to it when you're hit?

- F

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    netsan

I've read before it came out that the soundtrack was remixed to 5.1 ?
    Did you hear that ?
    I personnaly noticed the tracks were remastered a bit but didn't notice any 5.1 effect on the mosic (I mean bass on the back and drums on the front for example).
    Do I have crappy ear as my eye's ??

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Ryuuku

@ Yome NetSan

I have a 7 year old JBL ESC 333, and i can assure you there is a diffrence between the original 5.1 soundtrack and custom playlists : when you play your own playlist, you have nothing but sfx on the back channels.

That being said, 5.1 will not turn the soundtrack into an audiophile's delight, it's just here to convey a bigger feeling of immersion as it does with DVD/Blu-Ray movies. From that point of view, it's a total success imo.

It might sound silly, but it is just essential to choose proper settings in the PS3 menu, as Dolby pro logic will leave you with mono sound on rear speakers for instance. I have set Dolby digital 5.1 as the one and only option

PSN ID
    RozPT

Not having any fancy set for sound (actually, I'm playing it mono channel) I can say that I LOVE the sound when the thrust ignites with full power. It's like a sonic blast!

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Rubix42

MM, the shielded effect is pure money, makes my ears delight. Plus, playing at full volume on zone the other day, the crescendo of the Karftwerk song hit as I was making the jump to subsonic, wow, gave me the biggest rush. With the way the music changed as the zone changed.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Soccermums

Quote Originally Posted by Flashback Jack View Post
    Based on what was explained in reviews, I know what happens to the music when you're shielded and catch airtime (takes on a liquid quality and fades out respectively), but what happens to it when you're hit?
    When hit by a bomb, the music gets filtered and sounds like it is muffled (combined with the high-pitched sound-effect to illustrate the stun-grenade effect).
    When going through tunnels, the music becomes metallic with an added reverb.
    Missiles and mines have their own effect as well - sort of same as the bomb - just more subtle.

Quote Originally Posted by Yome NetSan View Post
    I've read before it came out that the soundtrack was remixed to 5.1 ?
    Did you hear that ?
    I personnaly noticed the tracks were remastered a bit but didn't notice any 5.1 effect on the mosic (I mean bass on the back and drums on the front for example).
    I have mainly had my own music running - but I will listen to the 5.1 tracks without SFX later and see if I can hear any unusual 5.1 mixing. I wouldn't expect anything like you described though, since that would make the whole sound package sensitive to not sitting in the "sweet spot".
    Last edited by Lance; 29th September 2008 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Merged two successive posts by same user. Read the WZ guidelines, please.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Soccermums

I did my 99 laps with only the audio track on. It is definitely a nice 5.1 mix, but nothing super fancy except for some nice panning going all around the room.
    I love the thrust sound as well - cannot get enough of that.

The only bad thing, I have found so far, is the sound of Icarus. The engine really sounds like a lawn-mover

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

I think it sounds more like a really large WWII bomber plane! I quite like it, actually...

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Soccermums

Really?
    It sounds really flimsy to me ... loose wrists and everything

Timezone
    GMT + 10

What about Qirex? it seems to sound like the energy drain weapon out of Wip3out!